U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 6,405 times

Advertisements

If you have first hand knowledge on these two communities just miles away, I would love your input!

Huntersville vs. Moorseville

Community feel
Public Schools (high schools)
Traffic
Utilities

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 10:26 AM

5,902 posts, read 7,755,477 times
I think your title is a bit confusing as "Lake Norman" is not a town and in fact Huntersville is considered part of the Lake Norman area. You may be thinking of Lake Norman High School in Mooresville though.

I think both Huntersville and Mooresville have a good community feel. Mooresville has an "old" downtown, and Huntersville has a "new" downtown in Birkdale Village (technically Huntersville does have an old downtown too but not a ton over there). Both have a good amount of shopping either in the town or nearby.

Mooresville has two school systems - MGSD and ISS, essentially west of I-77 is part of Iredell-Statesville Schools, and I've heard pretty good things about the specific schools in Mooresville (although not sure if there might be some risk of rezoning). On the east side of I-77 in Mooresville city limits (which I think do have higher taxes), everyone ends up at Mooresville HS, which I've also heard good things about and it's good that you can't be redistricted.

Huntersville is part of CMS - generally the northernmost portion has the best-regarded schools in terms of test scores, but those areas also are the furthest from uptown and thus have the worst traffic. But even the lesser-regarded schools in Huntersville have at least decent test scores while providing some more diversity.

If you can live, work and play in Mooresville with maybe the occasional night out to Charlotte, you should be OK. But if you work in Charlotte the traffic is pretty terrible. Even just going from Mooresville to Huntersville and vice versa can be 30+ minutes.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,669,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCl View Post
If you have first hand knowledge on these two communities just miles away, I would love your input!

Huntersville vs. Moorseville

Community feel
Public Schools (high schools)
Traffic
Utilities

Thank you so much!

I can tell you my opinion, but is primarily about Huntersville.

Since GoPhils has already spoken a lot about the school systems, Ill just say Mooresville probably has the better school system for the high school ages at this time, but Huntersville has some excellent elementary schools.

Huntersville is part of CMS but most desire to go to Hough High School (which is a newer, large school, and full of primarily local residents). House Bill 514 is a bill advancing in the NC General Assembly that could allow Cornelius and Huntersville to basically set up their own charter school system.

As for community feel, Huntersville is a lot more "newer" and though there are some good older, established neighborhoods like Cedarfield, Wynfield, there are so many new developments off of Gilead / Bud Henderson Rd, Huntersville-Concord Rd, that the housing situation is really exploding, similar to what it was in the early and mid 2000's. Huntersville has its share of retail, and Birkdale Village is the center of it all, located on Sam Furr Rd (NC 73) which is exit 25 off of Interstate 77. I think one of the biggest draws to Birkdale is it has one of the only big box book store in the area (Barnes and Noble). There is plenty of other large shopping and entertainment areas, North Cross Shopping Center, Rosedale, Bryton (Bryton is still new and lots of construction going on), etc.

Huntersville is not really a place people drive in to go to work, but mainly a suburb of Charlotte where people go to eat and relax and reside.

Traffic can be a big issue, as the I-77 toll lanes are still being built but I think they are scheduled to open by the end of this year.

The interstate that runs through Lake Norman is I-77, and Huntersville is exit 23 and 25, Cornelius is exit 28, and Davidson is exit 30, and Mooresville is exit 31,33, and 36. The traffic on the interstate between Mooresville and Huntersville can be really bad, even on weekends. I have reduced my travels to Mooresville on many occasions based solely on the traffic issue. I hope the toll lanes will alleviate this and I am sure when the construction wraps up that alone will help ease traffic congestion but who knows. The entire area, from exit 23 to exit 36, is just a highly desirable area and people want to live in the Lake Norman area, I expect the population to only rapidly increase for the near future, and probably even 10 years from now as long as the economy is doing well.

My main concern for Huntersville would be the infrastructure as the new developments are being built on 2 lane country roads and the only thing the developer seems to have to add is a right turn lane into their development.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:50 PM

181 posts, read 212,260 times
In either area, make sure you like where you live as you will often be locked there during certain hrs. I do not travel anywhere on 77 Friday afternoons or evenings, and avoid it weekdays between 7:30-9am, and 3:30- 7pm. Thankfully, I love my neighborhood and am 15 min to most of the stores I need. If you have special education or medical needs, you should aim to be as close to Charlotte as possible (IMO) as choices are quite limited in the Lake Norman area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or