U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
That might actually be a solution: 250 square feet micro apartments in the Queen City!
Exactly. 350 or so square feet in Charlotte would be very affordable. I know families with 5 people living in less than 1,800 sq/ft. So why can't 1 person live in 400 sq/ft or less? I suspect the complaint about affordable housing has more to do with some folks wanting more space than they need. It's similar to the mentality of a single person who drives a large SUV (then complains about expensive gas, high insurance rates, and an expensive car note). Like I said in a previous post; many people struggle due to poor choices. There's NO WAY I would live in anything larger than a studio if I were single and didn't have a roommate. I'd much rather spend that money on travel.

I do realize there are single parents in Charlotte who require larger units for their kids. I also realize that the other parent (often times a male but not always) sometimes isn't helping with finances. These are real problems in our community, but are they real estate problems? Should the real estate community donate dollars and subsidies to folks who were irresponsible with their right to reproduce? I hate to go there, but these are some of the questions that come to mind whenever we discuss affordable housing. I know too many people with $12/hr jobs, no help from the other parent, and more than 3 biological kids. To me, that's just not responsible at all.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-04-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 10:15 PM

237 posts, read 97,993 times
Am I reading this right? As a southern native I didn't even know it was a thing to be priced somewhere out of the south. Interesting.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 PM
NDL

3,130 posts, read 3,612,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Exactly. 350 or so square feet in Charlotte would be very affordable. I know families with 5 people living in less than 1,800 sq/ft. So why can't 1 person live in 400 sq/ft or less? I suspect the complaint about affordable housing has more to do with some folks wanting more space than they need. It's similar to the mentality of a single person who drives a large SUV (then complains about expensive gas, high insurance rates, and an expensive car note). Like I said in a previous post; many people struggle due to poor choices. There's NO WAY I would live in anything larger than a studio if I were single and didn't have a roommate. I'd much rather spend that money on travel.

I do realize there are single parents in Charlotte who require larger units for their kids. I also realize that the other parent (often times a male but not always) sometimes isn't helping with finances. These are real problems in our community, but are they real estate problems? Should the real estate community donate dollars and subsidies to folks who were irresponsible with their right to reproduce? I hate to go there, but these are some of the questions that come to mind whenever we discuss affordable housing. I know too many people with $12/hr jobs, no help from the other parent, and more than 3 biological kids. To me, that's just not responsible at all.
I wonder where Mayor Lyles stands on this, if she's aware of this concept, and if not, would she be receptive to the idea of mandating that new apartment complexes contain a certain percentage of micro apartments? IMHO, she's the first Mayor since McCrory that brings about a sense of hope and enthusiasm over Charlotte's (future) course.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,143,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Am I reading this right? As a southern native I didn't even know it was a thing to be priced somewhere out of the south. Interesting.

I lived in SWFL and average starter home was nearly $400,000.. fixer upper. You weren't near the beach. HGTV has featured home buyers on there several times with budgets of 2 mil. The realtors laugh when the people want to be "on the beach" with that budget there. Average rent for a 2 bedroom was $2,000 for an apartment. Housing was closer to $2500.. its very possible to be priced out of a place. Even making over $80,000 a year on my husbands income alone we couldn't afford a house there. We thought it was a steal when they offered us to buy our 1000 1 bed 1 bath sqft condo for $325,000 at the height of the market. I laugh When I hear prices are out of control here. Are they higher than they once were? Sure.. are they pricing people out? Hardly.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 AM
NDL

3,130 posts, read 3,612,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I lived in SWFL and average starter home was nearly $400,000.. fixer upper. You weren't near the beach. HGTV has featured home buyers on there several times with budgets of 2 mil. The realtors laugh when the people want to be "on the beach" with that budget there. Average rent for a 2 bedroom was $2,000 for an apartment..
400k...is that all? In my hometown in NY, fixer uppers are listing for $550k+, and one bedroom units rent for $2,000-2,200.

But I digress.

The affordability of housing is relative to an individual's income, and this region has a different demographic than the one that you may be used to in SWFL.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,994,546 times
Quote:
I wonder where Mayor Lyles stands on this, if she's aware of this concept, and if not, would she be receptive to the idea of mandating that new apartment complexes contain a certain percentage of micro apartments? IMHO, she's the first Mayor since McCrory that brings about a sense of hope and enthusiasm over Charlotte's (future) course.
I honestly don't know what the mayor is thinking. I do believe that it's time for long time Charlotteans to give up their ideas of what a "normal sized" home should be. I recently saw a home near Clanton Road (of all places) with an asking price of over $500k. It's across the street from Scaleybark station. The new townhouses in that same area are starting at $400k. It's only a matter of time before $500k+ is the standard along the South Blvd and South Tryon corridors between uptown and Woodlawn Rd. The only real affordable solution to this obvious trend would be to flood the market with micro units for families. I'm not just talking about studios. I'm thinking 2-3 bedrooms with less than 1,000 sq/ft.

To be honest, we're NOT Paris or Hong Kong. Micro studios in those cities are $1,200/month to start for a 120 sq/ft dorm-like space. In Charlotte, you can get an 800 sq/ft 1 bedroom in a "luxury" apartment tower uptown for $1,500-$1,600/month. I know that's "expensive" to many North Carolinians, but it's really cheap when you compare it to the prices found in comparable cities.

You really have two types here in Charlotte. The haves (who reside in center city and recognize Charlotte for the bargain that she truly is) and the have-nots (who can barely afford the oldest units in north/east/west Charlotte). As it stands, central Charlotte apartment dwellers reside in smaller units than their suburban peers. The higher density of central Charlotte is driving up the cost of cheap suburban Charlotte. The suburbs would do just fine if suburban units got a little smaller to compensate. Again, we are NOT Paris. We're not even close to seeing $2,000/month for 170 sq/ft. The solution for Charlotte is so simple if people would just change the way they view real estate. Bigger ain't better!

Old 06-05-2018, 01:43 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,935,112 times
Quote:

My best guess is she will call for new builders to have a certain percent of units for low income people. This will increase the cost of the other units in the building thus pricing out even more people. Rinse and repeat!

Old 06-05-2018, 04:01 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,143,867 times
Quote:
400k...is that all? In my hometown in NY, fixer uppers are listing for $550k+, and one bedroom units rent for $2,000-2,200.

But I digress.

The affordability of housing is relative to an individual's income, and this region has a different demographic than the one that you may be used to in SWFL.

looking at incomes I'd bet that NY incomes were way higher than that in Fla. Fla is notorious for having very high housing and very low income. NY on the other hand generally pays a closer to living wage. If I had to guess.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM

6,621 posts, read 4,566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not really- Looked at some apartments in Belmont. Rent is commanding between $960 and $1000 a month for a 1 bedroom.
Some people are priced out of EVERY place. You comment frequently about rents in Charlotte while people are also priced out Phoenix where you currently live. Perhaps you should spend your time advocating for changes in your community. Move on and make a difference in Phoenix if you really care about the disinfranchised and not just about slamming Charlotte every chance you get.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 AM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not really- Looked at some apartments in Belmont. Rent is commanding between $960 and $1000 a month for a 1 bedroom.
Keep in mind that there are few apartments in Belmont. West of the city, most apartments are in Gastonia. Most of those apartments are not in bad areas. The next largest number of apartments are in Kings Mountain, but there is now a dearth of apartments there, too. The newest complex is building more units, but they have a giant waiting list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or