U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:52 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsoctv.com/station/price...isis/751195341
It's just sad that so many local people leave because they can't afford to live in Charlotte because so many people with larger salaries have priced them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:10 AM

21,858 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
It's just sad that so many local people leave because they can't afford to live in Charlotte because so many people with larger salaries have priced them out.
A lot of the people from Charlotte are moving west of Charlotte.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:46 AM

246 posts, read 120,959 times
Quote:
It's just "happy" that twice as many people are moving to Charlotte than are moving out. Charlotte's loss could be Indiana or Iowa's gain. Look at the bright side.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:02 AM

43 posts, read 30,365 times
Hopefully help will come to the elderly such as the freezing of property tax on the homes they have lived in for years.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
It's just "happy" that twice as many people are moving to Charlotte than are moving out. Charlotte's loss could be Indiana or Iowa's gain. Look at the bright side.
And I don’t expect everyone will consider this an issue. “Don’t worry be happy”

Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
Hopefully help will come to the elderly such as the freezing of property tax on the homes they have lived in for years.
Once a person comes of retirement age, property tax on their home can be reduced significantly if they are withing the income parameters. I don't believe that any municipality stops property tax on the home of the elderly just because they reach a certain age. I would love to see my property tax cease to exist some day, but I'm pretty sure that won't happen here or any other habitable place.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:53 AM

I meant a freeze on increase, not an elimination, of property tax. Yes there is a program for reduction of property tax at retirement age but might not necessarily offset a large increase in tax amount to retiree.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
I meant a freeze on increase, not an elimination, of property tax. Yes there is a program for reduction of property tax at retirement age but might not necessarily offset a large increase in tax amount to retiree.
I agree. I have lived in countries that tax the hell out of their citizens, but when they reach retirement age, they are really treated well. For example, major transportation discounts or free, big tax shelters, and even retirement homes that reflect the high taxes they've paid in previous years. We need to take care of old people that have contributed all their lives. Charlotte seems to be status quo with other places sharing similar demographics. I don't believe that this our tax situation on the elderly would be a factor that would force them out of Charlotte. The OP is aware of expenses in other states. I have had a residence here 10 years. Many things are cheaper here than many other states, i.e., car insurance, house insurance, water and garbage bills, electric bills, property taxes, and most other such expenses. People being priced out of Charlotte (as the OP mentions) is sort of a nebulous comment. These same people would likely be priced out of any place they live.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:11 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
I am for gentrification of neighborhoods, but not to the point of pricing hard-working people out of affordable housing. Most of my single friends are having a hard time making ends meet with the "out of this world" rent.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I am for gentrification of neighborhoods, but not to the point of pricing hard-working people out of affordable housing. Most of my single friends are having a hard time making ends meet with the "out of this world" rent.
Have them check out other cities. Maybe their opinion will change. We might be lots higher than we have been historically, now have just caught up with the rest of the country. The same unfortunately applies to restaurant bills. One can always downsize or downgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or