Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 AM

94 posts, read 164,305 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We would love to get some thoughts on possibly relocating to Charlotte. We are an asian couple, who are living in Indianapolis but have job offers from Los Angeles CA. Now another potential job offer is coming up in Charlotte NC. In terms of pays, it's a much better offer. But we worry about the place being too boring for us. We both grew up in big cities and asian communities, and we didn't like the Indy life, so the relocation idea comes up.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,352 times
It's boring for asians, exciting for whites, relaxing for blacks, comforting for Filipinos, scary for Mexicans, riveting for Pacific Islanders, confusing for multi racial, invigorating for Spanish, frustrating for Indians.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Hi,

We would love to get some thoughts on possibly relocating to Charlotte. We are an asian couple, who are living in Indianapolis but have job offers from Los Angeles CA. Now another potential job offer is coming up in Charlotte NC. In terms of pays, it's a much better offer. But we worry about the place being too boring for us. We both grew up in big cities and asian communities, and we didn't like the Indy life, so the relocation idea comes up.

I'd highly suggest San Fran, Vancouver, NYC, Toronto, LA, and Seattle. Those are all vibrant cities with sizeable Asian populations.

On the other hand, there are Asians of all ages here in Charlotte who seem to love it. However, it's fair to assume that Asians who love Charlotte were probably not interested in calling a 1st tier major city home. Charlotte is a 2nd tier major city at best. With that comes some "big city" amenities (high rise apartments, major concerts, light rail transit) mixed in with a small town vibe (single family houses, not a lot of pedestrian traffic, malls instead of retail blocks). In other words, Charlotte is a slightly larger (faster growing) version of Indy with better mass transit, warmer weather, and more ethnic diversity. I hope that helps.

Personally, if the pay raise in Charlotte is that good; I'd take the Charlotte job. Worst case scenario, you can always bank away that extra money, and set yourselves up for a comfortable relocation to one of those 1st tier cities I mentioned.

If you do take the Charlotte offer, DO NOT make the same mistake so many others have made (ie moving to a part of town that is cheap and boring). If you're used to a big city, then the only parts of Charlotte that will suit you are uptown, South End, Plaza Midwood, Noda, Dilworth, Midtown, and (maybe) Wesley Heights. However, I can almost guarantee that you won't be bored living in uptown Charlotte. It's not cheap there, but there's a reason why that's the case. You get what you pay for, and real estate pricing is all about destination/location. You might like the South Park area too now that I've thought about it.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-25-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
The first video below is what typical uptown real estate looks like. The 2nd video shows what a typical uptown street festival looks like. Uptown has several similar street festivals throughout the year.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 PM

501 posts, read 529,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhcstl View Post
Hi,

Like any other place. It is what you make it. If you chose to not explore and become part of the community, you will not like it here or any other heavily Asian populated place. Lots of activities going on. It is up to you. I feel that you might be big complainers (just a hunch), so I personally don't think you will be happy here. Charlotte and Indy are about the same size so go figure.

Last edited by Lassielad; 10-25-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 01:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,957 times
"You don't like Indy life" Whats "wong" with it? Sorry, I could not resist.

Seriously though, Indy is supposed to be the sister Charlotte city of the north, or so I have heard. We do have pockets of Asian areas here inner city, Plaza Midwood is near an area we call Saigon Square on Central Av. They do have some Asian Festivals here, lion dance, Chinese Festival, etc. You might be happier some place like Seattle where there are larger Asian areas and more Urban Life, although the cost of living is better here for now. Best of luck.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,293 times
I assume you intend for us to let our stereotypes run wild with what is considered exciting for Asians. IMHO, the mahjong scene is a little lame here but there are excellent SAT prep classes to fill your time.

Seriously, what do you find exciting? Maybe Charlotte has it, and maybe it doesn't.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd highly suggest San Fran, Vancouver, NYC, Toronto, LA, and Seattle. Those are all vibrant cities with sizeable Asian populations.

On the other hand, there are Asians of all ages here in Charlotte who seem to love it. However, it's fair to assume that Asians who love Charlotte were probably not interested in calling a 1st tier major city home. Charlotte is a 2nd tier major city at best. With that comes some "big city" amenities (high rise apartments, major concerts, light rail transit) mixed in with a small town vibe (single family houses, not a lot of pedestrian traffic, malls instead of retail blocks). In other words, Charlotte is a slightly larger (faster growing) version of Indy with better mass transit, warmer weather, and more ethnic diversity. I hope that helps.

Personally, if the pay raise in Charlotte is that good; I'd take the Charlotte job. Worst case scenario, you can always bank away that extra money, and set yourselves up for a comfortable relocation to one of those 1st tier cities I mentioned.

If you do take the Charlotte offer, DO NOT make the same mistake so many others have made (ie moving to a part of town that is cheap and boring). If you're used to a big city, then the only parts of Charlotte that will suit you are uptown, South End, Plaza Midwood, Noda, Dilworth, Midtown, and (maybe) Wesley Heights. However, I can almost guarantee that you won't be bored living in uptown Charlotte. It's not cheap there, but there's a reason why that's the case. You get what you pay for, and real estate pricing is all about destination/location. You might like the South Park area too now that I've thought about it.
Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely look into those neighborhoods that you mentioned. And thank you for the videos, they are really helpful and make me more interested in exploring Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Like any other place. It is what you make it. If you chose to not explore and become part of the community, you will not like it here or any other heavily Asian populated place. Lots of activities going on. It is up to you. I feel that you might be big complainers (just a hunch), so I personally don't think you will be happy here. Charlotte and Indy are about the same size so go figure.
That's very true. We didn't like Indy so much because we find it to be a very "blue-collar" city with mostly chain restaurants. How do I put it....it's just so boring.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
I don't know much about Indianapolis but I kinda doubt Charlotte would be significantly different outside of warmer weather.

If the Charlotte job pays better than the LA job with Charlotte having a lower cost of living, that'd be a pretty big difference in the quality of life you could afford. You could always live in Charlotte and takes lots of trips to LA/NYC/Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte