Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:41 PM

107 posts, read 111,078 times

Advertisements

I am surprised to hear SC has restrictive gun laws. Anyway I live in NC and have all the guns I want. Winston Salem and Greensboro are fine towns and if you moved to Knoxville you wouldn't have to pay state income tax. Also check into Chattanooga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 09:45 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Yeah, I already live near a military town and actually want to avoid military towns like the plague. As well, I am a gun owner and gun rights are important and South Carolina's gun laws are way too restrictive for my tastes. Also, the taxes in South Carolina are even higher than North Carolina, which is about the limit of what I want to pay. I have always wanted to visit Charleston, but I think I will be enjoying South Carolina as a tourist rather than a resident.

I didn't know that Columbia, SC had a large Jewish community, so I appreciate sonofaque86 for mentioning about that and would be interested to check out that community. Still, don't desire to live in South Carolina and I have heard its hotter and more humid than North Carolina.

Anyhow, I have come to the conclusion that I am priced out of Charlotte. I've been struggling to find a place between $1200-1500 and my time is running out, because I am paying for an Air Bnb.. I think I am throwing the towel in on Charlotte. I'm thinking I will look at moving to Knoxville, TN or Winston-Salem, NC instead. I'm assuming Raleigh will be like Charlotte with the prices.

I got a lot of stuff I will be moving including some heavy objects, so I cannot move into a small apartment, which seems to be the only thing available in my price range in Charlotte. I didn't realize Charlotte is becoming more expensive than even Portland, Oregon. I'm really sad, because I actually really like the area and was pretty impressed by the city. It is so clean, there is a lot to do and people are friendly. I"m impressed by Charlotte's beer scene which easily rivals Seattle's and the beer I had at the first brewery I tried was great. The people are so vibrant, smiley and outgoing. It is a serious culture shock coming from the depressed, introverted and somewhat unfriendly and dismal Northwest.

I'm currently going to decide if I will pack up my stuff and head to Knoxville or Winston-Salem in the next few days.
Have you checked Gastonia? There's a synagogue there. If you find something in Gastonia, check the Gaston County crime map.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:33 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,694,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiralHalsey View Post
I don't know anything about being Jewish but out of all the options listed here I would avoid Columbia, SC. Probably the hottest most humid place in the southeast. August in Columbia is miserable.
Truth. Columbia is pure hot. It is staggering.

Winston Salem is a great place to live, we are in the process of moving there, have to sell our pesky house first.

Good Luck!

Old 06-10-2018, 08:00 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,963,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Hi Hey_Guy.. I really know little about Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I'd think as a single Jewish guy though, I have no clue how well I would fit into those cities. I'd assume being a smaller Southern city, most people would be married with kids and church would be an important part of the life and culture. Maybe, it would not be much different than Knoxville in that regard. I feel I'd probably not have much of a social life or much to do living in either area. Of course, I am thinking of how things are in the Northwest. The smaller cities and suburbs, everyone is married with kids and keeps to themselves. Not much to do unless you live in the larger cities if you are single and didn't grow up in the area.

I guess it is not that far from where i am and I can take a day to check the area out as well. I've heard Winston-Salem is really beautiful area though.
I mean that is an element but not really both cities are several hundred thousand and both are proudly progressive. I mean you can see successful synagogues in both communities

I don’t hate Charlotte but if someone told me they were rural minded and wanted to get ahead of the rat race I wouldn’t steer them to Charlotte. I would say Charlotte like moving to Seattle 10 yrs ago so you’ll just be getting into same situation

Old 06-11-2018, 11:09 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,811,066 times
I appreciate everyone trying to help me out here. It's sad when you finally find a city you really like and you are stuck with the grim reality you are priced out of the place. Of course, some suggest I could live in a shoebox in the city center, but selling off all my life's possessions and working from home, will mean a miserable existence, as I remember how miserable I was living in the shoebox I was stuck in Ballard area of Seattle.

I'm pretty much thinking I am going to be stuck living in Knoxville, which I will dread, but I will be working 70+ hours a week, so I guess I can just lock myself in my house and work hard and then in a few years maybe I can even buy a home in Charlotte. Being a single Jewish guy in a cliquey Bible Belt town won't be so fun, as I have heard about Knoxville. Also, there has been several issues with Anti-Semitic incidents at various synagogues and Jewish centers in Nashville and Knoxville. Tennessee doesn't seem hospitable to my background, but I am a mountain man at heart and can pretty much just isolate myself and keep to myself while I work and stabilizing my career. One benefit of Knoxville is I will be near the mountains and can just spend my weekends hiking in the mountains and being close to nature, which will be a nice relief.
Hopefully, in a few years I will be looking at making over $100k and hopefully more. Charlotte's software market is booming and if my business ventures fail, I could hopefully land a decent job there.

I will take a look at Winston-Salem and see what they have available, but people have been telling me Winston-Salem could be pretty rough and has some serious crime issues. Of course, I am an outsider to the region and only go by what people tell me and I know I need to spend time visiting these places.

Unfortunately, I have only a couple weeks before I am homeless and will be stuck living in hotels and hating life as I scramble not to be homeless. I am pretty much going to have to settle, even if I am forced to live some small town somewhere in the region. Anywhere, I can just get a house and relocate myself from the Northwest to the Southeast.

I am getting desperate and it sucks.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:18 AM

2,398 posts, read 2,657,333 times
There are plenty of 2 bedroom apartments in Charlotte for under $1,500 per month so I don't know where you are looking. You certainly don't need to be homeless unless you have something on your record keeping corporate apartments from leasing to you.

Here, Madison South Park, 4 units available right now with 1,200 square feet, 2 beds / 2 baths, right in the heart of South Park area which is very safe and desirable. Price ranges from $1,085 to $1,184. You can apply online today:

https://www.alapts.com/apartments/nc...-plans#k=81959

Old 06-11-2018, 11:33 AM

751 posts, read 927,082 times
If you want a SFH, get a realtor as many homes are listed through MLS and by the time you see them pop up on the aggregates, you're already behind the 8-ball. Or else it could just be that your expectations compared to your budget don't match and the very few that meet both go super quick.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times
I was in Charlotte a few weekends ago, mainly looking on the south side/Ballantyne areas. That's an affluent area, and there's no shortage of 1BR or even 2BR in your budget range. I don't know what you are bringing that a decent sized 2BR apartment couldn't handle. If you are bringing that many/bulky items, I would get rid of some of them before moving. There isn't a general shortage of housing, but there may be a shortage of rental houses in that price range, or you may not know where to look. I'm just browsing and saw several houses in Kannapolis in your price range.

You may also want to do an extended stay hotel. Many will have reduced weekly or even monthly rates, and that will let you look for a house or townhome without being extremely under the gun. Some apartment complexes will also do a six month lease for a higher monthly rent or extra security deposit. Keep in mind that the first place in the new area probably won't be your last, and I'd go with something reasonable in an area that looks reasonably good with a commute that won't kill you.

If you need software/tech work, I'd be cautious about moving to a very small town. If your business doesn't pan out, then there might not be much else for you locally. I like Knoxville and don't think you'd have any trouble as long as you remain in the city. Outlying rural counties can be extremely insular. I'd also recommend Greenville.

Last edited by Yac; 11-30-2020 at 01:26 AM..

Old 06-11-2018, 12:02 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,811,066 times
I definitely wasn't prepared for how long it takes to find a house here. In the Paciifc Northwest, I would have landlords beg to have a person like me. I have 800 credit score, excellent rental references, make around $60k, a bit more actually, although $60k is what I can show, but have some extra perks and a little savings. As well, I have passed multiple state and fedreal background checks, including FBI checks and have no criminal record. Yet, it appears that none of these traits are particularly exemplary to the landlords around here. Many landlords have told me they want at least 2 or 3 year leases and I have never heard of such a thing back in the Northwest. Also, it seems landlords pool applicants and take quite some time to figure out who they will choose , which will pretty much kill me, as I cannot wait and just hope while I risk being without a place to live. I probably won't be homeless, but will be stuck living in hotels and dumping everything in torture and be in a world of crap.

I guess I screwed up big time and its my fault. I had no clue that finding a place in Charlotte would be 10 times more challenging than even Seattle. I guess i Learned the hard way.

All the apartments I see in CHarlotte that are over 1200 sq ft and within my price range of $1200-$1500 seem to be in pretty bad areas. I was reading reviews of the apartments that range from people talking about gangs selling drugs in parking lots to waking up to gun shots. THis is pretty common even in the Seattle area for apartments in less than exceptional areas, but didn't realize in my price range I would still be stuck in crime ridden apartment complexes unless I can accept shoe-box sized corporate apartment style living. That was not what I had in mind when I was coming here and I have been sadly humbled. It is great for Charlotte though, your city is booming!

Damn, I wish I could afford to buy a place now, but I am in too unstable of a position and don't have enough for a down payment.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:18 PM

2,398 posts, read 2,657,333 times
So what is wrong with Madison South Park or Ashley Square both in South Park (among the most exclusive areas of the city)? If your income is what you say it is, you should qualify with no problem, unless you have a criminal record. Give them a call. They have units available and you can even apply online. Several of the units area available RIGHT NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte