U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
3,288 posts, read 4,023,794 times
Reputation: 4223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was in Charlotte a few weekends ago, mainly looking on the south side/Ballantyne areas. That's an affluent area, and there's no shortage of 1BR or even 2BR in your budget range. I don't know what you are bringing that a decent sized 2BR apartment couldn't handle. If you are bringing that many/bulky items, I would get rid of some of them before moving.
I am sizing down from 2500 sq ft to who knows what.. I am already getting rid of a lot, but just cannot sacrifice everything. I guess storage is an option, but it would be hard to give a $3000 sofa set to Goodwill. As well, I have a home office and that is practically impossible to set up in a shoe-box sized apartment. I know for a fact, because I tried this in Ballard and it was miserable and I just hated every day living there and was stuck going to coffeeshops for more space, where it was hard to get work done. At the time I stored most of my possessions in a cheap storage place in Idaho, but I would imagine storage places in Charlotte would cost a pretty penny like Seattle and would add up very quickly. Of course, the constant blasting of music also made concentrating on work hard and apartments are always noisy and the new corporate type of apartments are always built with paper thin walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There isn't a general shortage of housing, but there may be a shortage of rental houses in that price range, or you may not know where to look. I'm just browsing Trulia and saw several houses in Kannapolis in your price range.
Yep, this I understand. I have seen several houses, but when you look closely they are usually located next to busy roads, railroad tracks or they could be potential scams, as these MLS sites list them and some of the companies do not even have local offices, yet want you to apply and give out confidential information remotely without even knowing who you are dealing with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You may also want to do an extended stay hotel. Many will have reduced weekly or even monthly rates, and that will let you look for a house or townhome without being extremely under the gun. Some apartment complexes will also do a six month lease for a higher monthly rent or extra security deposit. Keep in mind that the first place in the new area probably won't be your last, and I'd go with something reasonable in an area that looks reasonably good with a commute that won't kill you.
I have tried renting places as far out as Mooresville and to far out suburbs, but haven't found anything in an area I think is desirable for me to live. After driving through Gastonia, I have no desire to live in that place. It somewhat resembles Lacey, whree I live now, although a bit cleaner and doesn't have all the homeless and mentally ill people walking around. It is also pretty rigorous commute to Charlotte, as there is no freeway that I can see and you have to drive through the crowded city streets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you need software/tech work, I'd be cautious about moving to a very small town. If your business doesn't pan out, then there might not be much else for you locally. I like Knoxville and don't think you'd have any trouble as long as you remain in the city. Outlying rural counties can be extremely insular. I'd also recommend Greenville.
Yes, I am aware, but I am in such a bad situation and my job situation will most likely be stable for the next year and places like Winston-Salem and Knoxville are cheap enough I could ride out my savings in a worst case scenario.

As far as Greenville, I have no desire to live in South Carolina. The taxes are very high and being a gun owner their gun laws are more restrictive than most any state I have seen except places like California or New York. I was surprised to see South Carolina has such restrictive laws and such high taxes. Not wahat I would expect from a state with its reputation. As well, I would think being Jewish in Greenville would be a risky venture, as it is also a smaller city (even smaller than Knoxville) Bible Belt town and I have no clue how I would be accepted there. There may be small Jewish communities in these places, but they are usually there for work and mostly composed of families who keep to themselves. The only place with real thriving JEwish communities would be places like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. I remember when I was in Idaho, the so-called Jewish "community" was not a real community, just a bunch of people working at Micron who keep to themselves, except when going to holiday events at the Chabad synagogue.


Oy Vey.. I hope people can accept my apologies, I feel stressed out and just feel I have digged myself into a ditch. I'm accepting that I will probably be living in sleazy monthly hotels for the next month, as my time is pretty much running out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
So what is wrong with Madison South Park or Ashley Square both in South Park (among the most exclusive areas of the city)? If your income is what you say it is, you should qualify with no problem, unless you have a criminal record. Give them a call. They have units available and you can even apply online. Several of the units area available RIGHT NOW.
I was reading the reviews of these apartments are they are pretty bad. I looked at both Yelp and Google Reviews and there are so many people complaining about the same things which make me nervous. Apartments even in the nicest neighborhoods in cities can still be really awful. Trying to operate a home business in an apartment, which requires quiet and concentration also is a pretty tough venture. The only apartments I have seen that have received good reviews are way out of my price range.


P.S.
I am also suffering some heat exhaustion, so I apologize if I am bit spacey in some of these replies. I made the mistake of not eating or drinking for many hours and getting too much sun.. Where I was it was literally still winter and didn't get time to acclimate to the weather and been stuck roaming all over town trying to find a place to live.. I'm pretty exhausted and soon will have to leave my AirBnb and G-d knows where I will stay. Life is not so peachy right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2018, 12:50 PM
 
1,457 posts, read 999,938 times
Reputation: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I was reading the reviews of these apartments are they are pretty bad. I looked at both Yelp and Google Reviews and there are so many people complaining about the same things which make me nervous. Apartments even in the nicest neighborhoods in cities can still be really awful. Trying to operate a home business in an apartment, which requires quiet and concentration also is a pretty tough venture. The only apartments I have seen that have received good reviews are way out of my price range.
(
Just as an FYI, apartments tend to have horrible reviews in most areas nationwide online because the only people that tend to post reviews about their landlord are angry. I know people that have lived in Madison and Ashley Square that have liked it, but they don't go online and post a review because they are happy. I know the only review I ever posted online was about my first landlord and a bad experience that most people didn't have. Both apartments are very safe. You can pull up the crime reports and see so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 01:22 PM
 
4,559 posts, read 7,035,039 times
Reputation: 4198
If you can hold out until August, might be more apartments available. Summer is when everybody moves and kids need to be settled before schools start in Aug/Sept. just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,419 posts, read 17,427,675 times
Reputation: 27355
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I am sizing down from 2500 sq ft to who knows what.. I am already getting rid of a lot, but just cannot sacrifice everything. I guess storage is an option, but it would be hard to give a $3000 sofa set to Goodwill. As well, I have a home office and that is practically impossible to set up in a shoe-box sized apartment. I know for a fact, because I tried this in Ballard and it was miserable and I just hated every day living there and was stuck going to coffeeshops for more space, where it was hard to get work done. At the time I stored most of my possessions in a cheap storage place in Idaho, but I would imagine storage places in Charlotte would cost a pretty penny like Seattle and would add up very quickly. Of course, the constant blasting of music also made concentrating on work hard and apartments are always noisy and the new corporate type of apartments are always built with paper thin walls.

Yep, this I understand. I have seen several houses, but when you look closely they are usually located next to busy roads, railroad tracks or they could be potential scams, as these MLS sites list them and some of the companies do not even have local offices, yet want you to apply and give out confidential information remotely without even knowing who you are dealing with.

I have tried renting places as far out as Mooresville and to far out suburbs, but haven't found anything in an area I think is desirable for me to live. After driving through Gastonia, I have no desire to live in that place. It somewhat resembles Lacey, whree I live now, although a bit cleaner and doesn't have all the homeless and mentally ill people walking around. It is also pretty rigorous commute to Charlotte, as there is no freeway that I can see and you have to drive through the crowded city streets.

Yes, I am aware, but I am in such a bad situation and my job situation will most likely be stable for the next year and places like Winston-Salem and Knoxville are cheap enough I could ride out my savings in a worst case scenario.

As far as Greenville, I have no desire to live in South Carolina. The taxes are very high and being a gun owner their gun laws are more restrictive than most any state I have seen except places like California or New York. I was surprised to see South Carolina has such restrictive laws and such high taxes. Not wahat I would expect from a state with its reputation. As well, I would think being Jewish in Greenville would be a risky venture, as it is also a smaller city (even smaller than Knoxville) Bible Belt town and I have no clue how I would be accepted there. There may be small Jewish communities in these places, but they are usually there for work and mostly composed of families who keep to themselves. The only place with real thriving JEwish communities would be places like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. I remember when I was in Idaho, the so-called Jewish "community" was not a real community, just a bunch of people working at Micron who keep to themselves, except when going to holiday events at the Chabad synagogue.

Oy Vey.. I hope people can accept my apologies, I feel stressed out and just feel I have digged myself into a ditch. I'm accepting that I will probably be living in sleazy monthly hotels for the next month, as my time is pretty much running out.

I was reading the reviews of these apartments are they are pretty bad. I looked at both Yelp and Google Reviews and there are so many people complaining about the same things which make me nervous. Apartments even in the nicest neighborhoods in cities can still be really awful. Trying to operate a home business in an apartment, which requires quiet and concentration also is a pretty tough venture. The only apartments I have seen that have received good reviews are way out of my price range.

P.S.
I am also suffering some heat exhaustion, so I apologize if I am bit spacey in some of these replies. I made the mistake of not eating or drinking for many hours and getting too much sun.. Where I was it was literally still winter and didn't get time to acclimate to the weather and been stuck roaming all over town trying to find a place to live.. I'm pretty exhausted and soon will have to leave my AirBnb and G-d knows where I will stay. Life is not so peachy right now
2500 sq. ft for a single guy is a lot of stuff. That's more than many families have. If you want to keep those possessions, then you're going to either have to store them or rent a larger home to house them in. Most people looking for houses that large are probably families or dual income couples looking to buy. There isn't a shortage of housing - there's a shortage of large houses that can be rented on a single income.

Aren't you running some sort of online business where you won't be having to do a standard daily commute? I agree Gastonia is a ways out, but if you're not needing to commute back in frequently, it's not as big of a problem. Once you're local, you can find out what areas work for you and move again the following year to a better location.

I really don't think being Jewish would be a problem at all in any of the towns mentioned. I live in a small Tennessee metro that is a lot more conservative/less forward thinking than either Knoxville or Greenville. There aren't many Jews here, but the handful that I personally know have not had problems. There may not be much in the way of a Jewish community, but it's not going to bother anyone. The places you'd run into problems are mostly small towns or rural areas with virtually no transplants - many of these types of areas are backward and insular, but they tend to not like anyone who isn't a native.

Knoxville is a good city, and Greenville is a wonderful city. Greenville is my favorite city in the Southeast. With that said, employment options will be limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
660 posts, read 519,006 times
Reputation: 640
You can get a 25% charity write-off on the couch, so if it really is worth $3,000, then donate it, document it, and claim at taxes. If it was $3,000 new and you've had it for a year+, then it's worth no more than $1,000 now...so either sell it for $500 online, or again, take the charity write-off.


2,500 is a ton of square footage for one person. Most families of 4 live in 2,000 square feet or less. Sell the couch, get a 2-bedroom apartment (so you can have 1 bedroom as an office), and re-structure your priorities to focus on enjoying the positives of a life-changing move instead of trying to find space for a large couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 04:28 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,902 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I am sizing down from 2500 sq ft to who knows what.. I am already getting rid of a lot, but just cannot sacrifice everything. I guess storage is an option, but it would be hard to give a $3000 sofa set to Goodwill. As well, I have a home office and that is practically impossible to set up in a shoe-box sized apartment. I know for a fact, because I tried this in Ballard and it was miserable and I just hated every day living there and was stuck going to coffeeshops for more space, where it was hard to get work done. At the time I stored most of my possessions in a cheap storage place in Idaho, but I would imagine storage places in Charlotte would cost a pretty penny like Seattle and would add up very quickly. Of course, the constant blasting of music also made concentrating on work hard and apartments are always noisy and the new corporate type of apartments are always built with paper thin walls.


Yep, this I understand. I have seen several houses, but when you look closely they are usually located next to busy roads, railroad tracks or they could be potential scams, as these MLS sites list them and some of the companies do not even have local offices, yet want you to apply and give out confidential information remotely without even knowing who you are dealing with.



I have tried renting places as far out as Mooresville and to far out suburbs, but haven't found anything in an area I think is desirable for me to live. After driving through Gastonia, I have no desire to live in that place. It somewhat resembles Lacey, whree I live now, although a bit cleaner and doesn't have all the homeless and mentally ill people walking around. It is also pretty rigorous commute to Charlotte, as there is no freeway that I can see and you have to drive through the crowded city streets.



Yes, I am aware, but I am in such a bad situation and my job situation will most likely be stable for the next year and places like Winston-Salem and Knoxville are cheap enough I could ride out my savings in a worst case scenario.

As far as Greenville, I have no desire to live in South Carolina. The taxes are very high and being a gun owner their gun laws are more restrictive than most any state I have seen except places like California or New York. I was surprised to see South Carolina has such restrictive laws and such high taxes. Not wahat I would expect from a state with its reputation. As well, I would think being Jewish in Greenville would be a risky venture, as it is also a smaller city (even smaller than Knoxville) Bible Belt town and I have no clue how I would be accepted there. There may be small Jewish communities in these places, but they are usually there for work and mostly composed of families who keep to themselves. The only place with real thriving JEwish communities would be places like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. I remember when I was in Idaho, the so-called Jewish "community" was not a real community, just a bunch of people working at Micron who keep to themselves, except when going to holiday events at the Chabad synagogue.


Oy Vey.. I hope people can accept my apologies, I feel stressed out and just feel I have digged myself into a ditch. I'm accepting that I will probably be living in sleazy monthly hotels for the next month, as my time is pretty much running out.



I was reading the reviews of these apartments are they are pretty bad. I looked at both Yelp and Google Reviews and there are so many people complaining about the same things which make me nervous. Apartments even in the nicest neighborhoods in cities can still be really awful. Trying to operate a home business in an apartment, which requires quiet and concentration also is a pretty tough venture. The only apartments I have seen that have received good reviews are way out of my price range.


P.S.
I am also suffering some heat exhaustion, so I apologize if I am bit spacey in some of these replies. I made the mistake of not eating or drinking for many hours and getting too much sun.. Where I was it was literally still winter and didn't get time to acclimate to the weather and been stuck roaming all over town trying to find a place to live.. I'm pretty exhausted and soon will have to leave my AirBnb and G-d knows where I will stay. Life is not so peachy right now
Gastonia is about 20 miles west of Charlotte. It's in the I 85/US 74 corridor. There are lovely neighborhoods & some that are scummy & everything in between. If you don't consider I 85 to be a freeway, I don't know what to tell you. The 85/74 corridor is from Belmont & Mount Holly to Kings Mountain. Gastonia is the largest community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2018, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
3,288 posts, read 4,023,794 times
Reputation: 4223
I apologize for misinforming people about the amount of my possessions and what they perceive of what type of rental I am looking for. In fact, I live in a single story 1200ft home in Olympia area without a garage. My house is packed to capacity, but I have already gotten rid of a lot of things and plan on getting rid of more. In fact, all my possessions in life will be packed into a 26 foot Penske Truck. So, whatever fits in the 26 foot Penske truck is what is going with me. What I said was that I was previously living in a 2500 sq ft (actually 1900 sq ft + 3 car garage + big bonus room) in Boise, Idaho before I came back to Washington state. Rents were so cheap in Boise when I was living there that I didn't see any reason not to rent the place and I was only paying $1100/mo. Of course, I utterly disliked living in Idaho which made me leave for good. I was living in large houses for many years, but have subsequently scaled down, especially as rents skyrocketed and I had to move to smaller places.

So, what I am looking for is actually a place over 1300 sq feet in a decent neighborhood that is quiet and safe. It seems to be a real chore. I agree I came to Charlotte at the wrong time of a year, but my landlord was raising my rent and wanted me to sign another year lease and I figured this was my only opportunity to get up and move east . Had I not jumped on this opportunity, I would have been stuck living in the Pacific Northwest for many years to come and being miserable.

Sadly, my time is running out, I am burning up huge bills at Air Bnbs/hotels and I feeling ill, tired and just getting burned out. As much as I hate to return to what I call the toilet of America (Portland/Seattle), I am coming to the harsh and grim realization that it probably time to just return home and find some crappy place in Portlandia. I use to love Portland, but the place has been turned up side by nutjob governmetns and nutjob transplants. After seeing beautiful cities like Charlotte and so many other cities that are clean, orderly and more sane, even if they do have some sketchy areas, it was an eye opener and realization of just how much of a garbage dump the Pacific NOrthwest has become in its urban areas. It is a real shame for a native Cascadian as myself to see my once beautiful home turn into a huge garbage dump and giant homeless shelter/mental institution.

Ughh.. I am so depressed and bummed out. I am thinking I will either ship my car back or just drive back home and it cost me a pretty penny. But , at least I Got the experience of seeing so much of my own country for the first time in my life. That I guess kind of made it worth it.

I'm thinking I will probably need to be making over $100k and have a more stable employment situation before I can make a cross country move. I tried jumping on it with the illusion CHarlotte was affordable and rentals were plentiful. Being stuck in a noisy, overpriced shoebox is the very reason I utterly loathed living in Seattle and wasn't expecting that grim reality of living in CHarlotte.

Of course, some poeple just love living in the middle of the action and don't mind a tiny little apartment. They say New Yorkers, for example, could sleep through freight train running through their home and don't even hear road noise. It sucks that I grew up in the country and lived on acres of land as a kid in rural Oregon and now I am poisoned by the need of space and desire for freedom. I know that if I ended up in one of those giant apartment complexes I'd be miserable and it doesn't matter if I am in Shangri-La, itself, I would not love living there.

I am thinking I will probably drive to Knoxville and see if I can land a place within a few days which I doubt. If that doesn't work, I will just go back home to my once beautiful Northwest (now toilet) and be stuck living in that craphole until I can either take over the family business or incur more cloud technology skills which will land me Sr Software jobs that pay very nicely. I've been off the job market for 16 years, so I would need a year of intense studying of algorithms before I could get a senior software job, anyway. That was part of what I would be doing in addition to the small family business I help run and for which I develop software.


I got hit by a mild heat stroke today and pretty much was bed-ridden, so there goes another day down the drain .

As far as Kings Mountain, Gastonia, etc. After driving through those areas on my way to Charlotte I found them very undesirable a bit seedy looking and I just don't really have a desire to live there. It was like a cleaner version of Lacey, Washington where I live now in its appearance. But still resembled where I live too much, minus the large number of drug addictions, psychos and homeless people. Also, the lack of a decent freeway will make it torture when I want to go enjoy city life, so I'd probably be stuck just hanging out there most of the time like I do living in Olympia area, which is more or less impossible to go to Seattle, but once or twice a month. Unless you enjoy sitting in traffic 6 hours a day.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 06-11-2018 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,902 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I apologize for misinforming people about the amount of my possessions and what they perceive of what type of rental I am looking for. In fact, I live in a single story 1200ft home in Olympia area without a garage. My house is packed to capacity, but I have already gotten rid of a lot of things and plan on getting rid of more. In fact, all my possessions in life will be packed into a 26 foot Penske Truck. So, whatever fits in the 26 foot Penske truck is what is going with me. What I said was that I was previously living in a 2500 sq ft (actually 1900 sq ft + 3 car garage + big bonus room) in Boise, Idaho before I came back to Washington state. Rents were so cheap in Boise when I was living there that I didn't see any reason not to rent the place and I was only paying $1100/mo. Of course, I utterly disliked living in Idaho which made me leave for good. I was living in large houses for many years, but have subsequently scaled down, especially as rents skyrocketed and I had to move to smaller places.

So, what I am looking for is actually a place over 1300 sq feet in a decent neighborhood that is quiet and safe. It seems to be a real chore. I agree I came to Charlotte at the wrong time of a year, but my landlord was raising my rent and wanted me to sign another year lease and I figured this was my only opportunity to get up and move east . Had I not jumped on this opportunity, I would have been stuck living in the Pacific Northwest for many years to come and being miserable.

Sadly, my time is running out, I am burning up huge bills at Air Bnbs/hotels and I feeling ill, tired and just getting burned out. As much as I hate to return to what I call the toilet of America (Portland/Seattle), I am coming to the harsh and grim realization that it probably time to just return home and find some crappy place in Portlandia. I use to love Portland, but the place has been turned up side by nutjob governmetns and nutjob transplants. After seeing beautiful cities like Charlotte and so many other cities that are clean, orderly and more sane, even if they do have some sketchy areas, it was an eye opener and realization of just how much of a garbage dump the Pacific NOrthwest has become in its urban areas. It is a real shame for a native Cascadian as myself to see my once beautiful home turn into a huge garbage dump and giant homeless shelter/mental institution.

Ughh.. I am so depressed and bummed out. I am thinking I will either ship my car back or just drive back home and it cost me a pretty penny. But , at least I Got the experience of seeing so much of my own country for the first time in my life. That I guess kind of made it worth it.

I'm thinking I will probably need to be making over $100k and have a more stable employment situation before I can make a cross country move. I tried jumping on it with the illusion CHarlotte was affordable and rentals were plentiful. Being stuck in a noisy, overpriced shoebox is the very reason I utterly loathed living in Seattle and wasn't expecting that grim reality of living in CHarlotte.

Of course, some poeple just love living in the middle of the action and don't mind a tiny little apartment. They say New Yorkers, for example, could sleep through freight train running through their home and don't even hear road noise. It sucks that I grew up in the country and lived on acres of land as a kid in rural Oregon and now I am poisoned by the need of space and desire for freedom. I know that if I ended up in one of those giant apartment complexes I'd be miserable and it doesn't matter if I am in Shangri-La, itself, I would not love living there.

I am thinking I will probably drive to Knoxville and see if I can land a place within a few days which I doubt. If that doesn't work, I will just go back home to my once beautiful Northwest (now toilet) and be stuck living in that craphole until I can either take over the family business or incur more cloud technology skills which will land me Sr Software jobs that pay very nicely. I've been off the job market for 16 years, so I would need a year of intense studying of algorithms before I could get a senior software job, anyway. That was part of what I would be doing in addition to the small family business I help run and for which I develop software.


I got hit by a mild heat stroke today and pretty much was bed-ridden, so there goes another day down the drain .

As far as Kings Mountain, Gastonia, etc. After driving through those areas on my way to Charlotte I found them very undesirable a bit seedy looking and I just don't really have a desire to live there. It was like a cleaner version of Lacey, Washington where I live now in its appearance. But still resembled where I live too much, minus the large number of drug addictions, psychos and homeless people. Also, the lack of a decent freeway will make it torture when I want to go enjoy city life, so I'd probably be stuck just hanging out there most of the time like I do living in Olympia area, which is more or less impossible to go to Seattle, but once or twice a month. Unless you enjoy sitting in traffic 6 hours a day.
Again, you are saying that there's no decent freeway west of Charlotte. I have no idea what roads you took going to Charlotte from Tennessee, but I've come to the conclusion that you're right, you'll be happier in Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 AM
 
313 posts, read 173,856 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I apologize for misinforming people about the amount of my possessions and what they perceive of what type of rental I am looking for. In fact, I live in a single story 1200ft home in Olympia area without a garage. My house is packed to capacity, but I have already gotten rid of a lot of things and plan on getting rid of more. In fact, all my possessions in life will be packed into a 26 foot Penske Truck. So, whatever fits in the 26 foot Penske truck is what is going with me. What I said was that I was previously living in a 2500 sq ft (actually 1900 sq ft + 3 car garage + big bonus room) in Boise, Idaho before I came back to Washington state. Rents were so cheap in Boise when I was living there that I didn't see any reason not to rent the place and I was only paying $1100/mo. Of course, I utterly disliked living in Idaho which made me leave for good. I was living in large houses for many years, but have subsequently scaled down, especially as rents skyrocketed and I had to move to smaller places.

So, what I am looking for is actually a place over 1300 sq feet in a decent neighborhood that is quiet and safe. It seems to be a real chore. I agree I came to Charlotte at the wrong time of a year, but my landlord was raising my rent and wanted me to sign another year lease and I figured this was my only opportunity to get up and move east . Had I not jumped on this opportunity, I would have been stuck living in the Pacific Northwest for many years to come and being miserable.

Sadly, my time is running out, I am burning up huge bills at Air Bnbs/hotels and I feeling ill, tired and just getting burned out. As much as I hate to return to what I call the toilet of America (Portland/Seattle), I am coming to the harsh and grim realization that it probably time to just return home and find some crappy place in Portlandia. I use to love Portland, but the place has been turned up side by nutjob governmetns and nutjob transplants. After seeing beautiful cities like Charlotte and so many other cities that are clean, orderly and more sane, even if they do have some sketchy areas, it was an eye opener and realization of just how much of a garbage dump the Pacific NOrthwest has become in its urban areas. It is a real shame for a native Cascadian as myself to see my once beautiful home turn into a huge garbage dump and giant homeless shelter/mental institution.

Ughh.. I am so depressed and bummed out. I am thinking I will either ship my car back or just drive back home and it cost me a pretty penny. But , at least I Got the experience of seeing so much of my own country for the first time in my life. That I guess kind of made it worth it.

I'm thinking I will probably need to be making over $100k and have a more stable employment situation before I can make a cross country move. I tried jumping on it with the illusion CHarlotte was affordable and rentals were plentiful. Being stuck in a noisy, overpriced shoebox is the very reason I utterly loathed living in Seattle and wasn't expecting that grim reality of living in CHarlotte.

Of course, some poeple just love living in the middle of the action and don't mind a tiny little apartment. They say New Yorkers, for example, could sleep through freight train running through their home and don't even hear road noise. It sucks that I grew up in the country and lived on acres of land as a kid in rural Oregon and now I am poisoned by the need of space and desire for freedom. I know that if I ended up in one of those giant apartment complexes I'd be miserable and it doesn't matter if I am in Shangri-La, itself, I would not love living there.

I am thinking I will probably drive to Knoxville and see if I can land a place within a few days which I doubt. If that doesn't work, I will just go back home to my once beautiful Northwest (now toilet) and be stuck living in that craphole until I can either take over the family business or incur more cloud technology skills which will land me Sr Software jobs that pay very nicely. I've been off the job market for 16 years, so I would need a year of intense studying of algorithms before I could get a senior software job, anyway. That was part of what I would be doing in addition to the small family business I help run and for which I develop software.


I got hit by a mild heat stroke today and pretty much was bed-ridden, so there goes another day down the drain .

As far as Kings Mountain, Gastonia, etc. After driving through those areas on my way to Charlotte I found them very undesirable a bit seedy looking and I just don't really have a desire to live there. It was like a cleaner version of Lacey, Washington where I live now in its appearance. But still resembled where I live too much, minus the large number of drug addictions, psychos and homeless people. Also, the lack of a decent freeway will make it torture when I want to go enjoy city life, so I'd probably be stuck just hanging out there most of the time like I do living in Olympia area, which is more or less impossible to go to Seattle, but once or twice a month. Unless you enjoy sitting in traffic 6 hours a day.
So what you're saying is:

You have a ton of belongings, want to live in an ideal place, but you don't want to pay the market price for it.

GTFO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado
3,288 posts, read 4,023,794 times
Reputation: 4223
Wow hostile keyboard warriors have spoken.. please take your prozac and chill.

Ive decided to stay in charlotte and booked more days here. Im just looking for a 1300 sq ft place, not a mansion.

You gtfo. The locals here are pretty friendly.. So, im sure these insults are coming from the NE transplants, who i am not too fond about.

Anyhow, i will settle for an apartment and probably put anything that doesnt fit in storage.

Ive decided i dont want to return to The Toilet (Pac NW), no matter what.

Anyway. I appreciate the help of the kinder souls on here and dont have the time to deal with the internet d-bags.

Im going to find a place one way or another, even if i have to put stuff in storage. I also didnt realize 1300 sq ft was thought to be mansion. But in my transitional state to the Southeast, i can settle for something smaller.

I cannot imagine any jewish person being happy in Tennessee. Its not that the people aee so bad, but it is a very religious Bible Belt state and life revolves around the Christian church. So, no i would not be happier in knoxville, but much more miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:23 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top