Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,723 times

Advertisements

Basically, What I mentioned above. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems there a lot of new communities being built around Lake Norman. I would like to be in an area where we can have some privacy (olny 3 neighbors looking in the back yard). If neighbors, heavily wooded, cool city life, or more acerage. Also, if wooded neighborhood, will not be built up arounf us unexpectantly. We are open to options. I need a pool, either ours or H.O.A. as the water at the lake is questionable at the moment. I have sattalite imaged nice home, only to see cancerous powerlines too close by the homes. I also want a place that will build equity, as we plan on moving in around 10 years. Thanks for all your help!!! Also, we want to spend no more than 300k and H.O.A. is not a bother as average here is $400/month. Commute must be around 30 min. to corporate jobs and play. We need good schools or close to the Catholic school in Hunthersville. Where would be a 15 min. drive to there in the morning that is nice to live?

Last edited by candicerg; 06-11-2018 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: need privacy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 04:09 AM

607 posts, read 553,638 times
Try contacting a realtor...that's their job.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:11 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
If you want to be near the Catholic school in Huntersville, that limits your options considerably. And for something resembling a 30 minute commute to around uptown (doable but probably not every day, and not all corporate jobs are there), you pretty much need to be at exit 23 or south off of I-77. The Cedarfield neighborhood is the closest I can think of to what you’re looking for. Your budget will also be a limiting factor.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:33 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,688,665 times
What do you mean by a 30 minute commute to corporate jobs and play? Do you not have a job lined up?

Since you are deep into your home search and know the general area you think you want to live in, your best bet is to actually go and visit homes with a real estate agent to see the homes in person. That way you can get a feel for the neighborhood, look at comps to get the investment value, dig into school attendance areas, etc....

At $300k your budget will be a little bit more limited for a single family home to entry level / starter homes typically with all vinyl siding or a mix of brick veneer/vinyl.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:47 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
30 min. commute from Lake Norman to Uptown for a corporate job? Definitely come out and try it first.
Where are you finding the new communities around Lake Norman for $300K?

Do you have a job yet?

Why are you choosing Charlotte?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:15 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times
You could try Lowe's Corporate or Ingersoll Rand for corporate jobs and then maybe you'd have the under 30 minute commute. The budget and the area and the wants (like heavily wooded) for 300K will be the hardest part and you will need an experienced and knowledgeable realtor for that.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:47 PM

Thanks, All. I have definitly seen what I am looking for, but they lack one or two checks. The power lines and contaminated water is a big no for us. I am tired of satalitte imaging the perfect home only to be under huge power lines. We wont have a problem looking for work with our experience. I have checked the job market out there. I have maped out commutes from certain areas if we have to drive to Charlotte. Looks like 30 min. to get from all sides of the lake and from the south of the lake to Charlotte (it seems). I just wanted to see what locals thought and where they would want to live. I dont mind close neighbors (.25 acre lot) as long as there are not 5 houses attached to the backyard. We have a lot of planned communities in Southern California. Some are great and some are too congested. But I dont think I would mind living in a smaller lot if in a bigger city like to town in huntersville. The name is slipping my mind, but it is has a nice popular shopping center that looks like pretty homes.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:49 PM

We also don't mind building. Where would you all build if you work, small children, outdoor activities...?

Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
There's no correlation between power lines and cancer. No reason for that to be a factor in your decision.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,333,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candicerg View Post
Thanks, All. I have definitly seen what I am looking for, but they lack one or two checks. The power lines and contaminated water is a big no for us. I am tired of satalitte imaging the perfect home only to be under huge power lines. We wont have a problem looking for work with our experience. I have checked the job market out there. I have maped out commutes from certain areas if we have to drive to Charlotte. Looks like 30 min. to get from all sides of the lake and from the south of the lake to Charlotte (it seems). I just wanted to see what locals thought and where they would want to live. I dont mind close neighbors (.25 acre lot) as long as there are not 5 houses attached to the backyard. We have a lot of planned communities in Southern California. Some are great and some are too congested. But I dont think I would mind living in a smaller lot if in a bigger city like to town in huntersville. The name is slipping my mind, but it is has a nice popular shopping center that looks like pretty homes.
.25 acre is actually on the bigger side IMO for much of the Charlotte area. In new construction under $300K a .25+ acre lot will be extremely hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte