U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 772 times

Advertisements

Hi I know this may be ridiculous but my family is moving to Charlotte in Ballantyne and I keep reading about the snakes there and it seems like they are everywhere mostly Copperheads, I am dealthy afraid of snakes plus I have 3 little kids and Iím getting nervous. Is it really as bad as they say? Thank you 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 AM

1,452 posts, read 992,914 times
Getting bitten by a snake is a game of chance. You can take steps to minimize creating habitats they enjoy like piles of wood to hide in. However you might never see a copperhead (I've only seen one), or you might see a couple depending on chance, the micro-environment you are in, etc...

During the summer it is a good idea to wear close toed shoes in grass / woods and just be careful where you step.

You most likely won't get bitten, but there is always a chance. Luckily copperhead venom is not as dangerous as some other snakes and the bite is rarely fatal. Rattlesnakes have more dangerous venom for example.

You are far more likely to be a victim of a life changing accident driving to work or taking your kids to school in your car.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM

653 posts, read 514,798 times
Have lived here 5 years and this is the first I heard of anyone being concerned. Have never seen one and have never heard neighbors/friends discuss being bitten or concerned about it. I wouldn't be paranoid...it's not like scorpions out in AZ.

That said, all of CLT4's advice is still good advice to heed.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 AM
NDL

3,124 posts, read 3,609,225 times
This is an interesting thread, as I have an on old outbuilding (free standing garage) on the property upon which my house sits. I'd like to paint it, yet there are gaps between the siding and the cement floor, and I can see a "murphy's luck" situation playing out: as I reach down into the gap between the cement floor and wall siding, I get struck by a snake that's lurking about. The outbuilding is old, and within the garage are some old wooden doors.

To the OP: I have seen few snakes in this area, but others have. If you keep your grass short, and your property free from piles of wood, brush, etc., you should be fine.

I do wonder about what the crawl space underneath a house might look like, however.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM

246 posts, read 120,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens3 View Post
Hi I know this may be ridiculous but my family is moving to Charlotte in Ballantyne and I keep reading about the snakes there and it seems like they are everywhere mostly Copperheads, I am dealthy afraid of snakes plus I have 3 little kids and Iím getting nervous. Is it really as bad as they say? Thank you 😊
There are more poisonous snake bites in N.C. than any other state. Very few are fatal. Most bites occur because people don't use common sense. Copperheads are the most common poisonous in the area. When gardening, always make sure that you check under leaves as they tend to be common in leafy, shaded areas. Other than that, just use common sense. Most people in the area have never been face to face with a copperhead. They tend to stay away from humans. the most common snake is the blacksnake that is non-venomous, harmless and good for getting rid of and scaring away unwanted rodents. With the few incidents experienced around these parts, I would worry more about lightening or texting drivers. Seriously, you will likely not confront a dangerous snake unless you are looking for one and that would still be a difficult task. I played in the woods around here all the time when I was young and camped out often (to get away from my parents) and I never even thought of poisonous snakes. The parent thing was probably too much information.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,133,008 times
I have lived in Charlotte more than 50 years and have probably seen less than 10 snakes in all of that time. I'm sure I stepped on/over a few that I missed but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Stay away from leaf piles, yard mulch (pine needles look better anyway) and wood piles and you will likely not see a snake for years.

They don't want to see you anymore than you do them!

Old 06-19-2018, 05:07 AM

625 posts, read 199,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I have lived in Charlotte more than 50 years and have probably seen less than 10 snakes in all of that time. I'm sure I stepped on/over a few that I missed but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Stay away from leaf piles, yard mulch (pine needles look better anyway) and wood piles and you will likely not see a snake for years.

They don't want to see you anymore than you do them!
I've actually heard the opposite regarding mulch, that copperheads prefer pine needles. They really can't crawl under patted down mulch, but they can through pine straw.

Regardless, we've been here 5 years, I've seen only one snake, and I'm out a lot doing yard work. The one and only snake I've seen was a black snake that decided to get up on my porch and curl under my gardening tool box that I have next to my front door. My son left our front door open and I hope he didn't get inside I don't know where he went since all I saw was my open front door and an empty spot where the black snake was (they're known for being able to climb). Haven't had anything snuggle up to us indoors yet so I'd assume it just went back where it came from.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:43 AM

3,737 posts, read 3,262,267 times
Iíve never seen a snake in Mecklenberg and I am an outdoorsy person who goes to snakey areas. Nature preserves by rivers & lakes, etc.

Iím sure thereís some around. Lots. But Iíve never seen any. Thank god, because Iím scared of snakes

Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,133,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCoqui View Post
I've actually heard the opposite regarding mulch, that copperheads prefer pine needles. They really can't crawl under patted down mulch, but they can through pine straw.

Regardless, we've been here 5 years, I've seen only one snake, and I'm out a lot doing yard work. The one and only snake I've seen was a black snake that decided to get up on my porch and curl under my gardening tool box that I have next to my front door. My son left our front door open and I hope he didn't get inside I don't know where he went since all I saw was my open front door and an empty spot where the black snake was (they're known for being able to climb). Haven't had anything snuggle up to us indoors yet so I'd assume it just went back where it came from.
I was told they won't cross pine needles because they don't want the needles to stick in their scales. I am sure they can easily get under wood mulch. Also, mulch harbors insects, slugs and worms which snakes love to eat.

I have seen two black snakes in my yard. One on my porch and one in my side yard in the bushes. I just watched both of them and they were anxious to get away from me.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 PM

246 posts, read 120,959 times
I may be the odd one, but I am a reptile person and am fond of snakes. When I was in education, I was known as the "snakeman." If anyone saw a snake, they would call me so I could catch it and take it to the edge of the woods for its safety. I have a pond very close to my house. I go by daily and observe wild life. Until all of the summer growth takes over, I can usually see a couple of snakes swimming around, mostly water snakes. I come across snakes somewhat often because I look for them for observation purposes. One time I was going to work and grabbed he newspaper and threw it into the living room for my wife to fetch for morning coffee or whatever. When she picked it up, there was a snake inside. It had red yellow and black stripes. She thought it was possibly a coral snake so she was able to remove it with a broom. I later found out that it was a scarlet king snake. There is a distinct difference although the two have the same color stripes. Bottom line, worry more about bees or rabid coyotes and you really don't need to do that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or