Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

I am looking for ideas for future stickies for the Charlotte forum.

If you are unfamiliar with the term a sticky A sticky is a thread that stays at the top of the forum and is only a task a moderator can perform.
City data only allows 2 stickies per forum so that those seeking information in their threads it is not pushed off to another page.

A sticky is usually a thread of important information that is useful to the general audience.

I really like how the moderator of the Colorado forum has important information organize so members can opt out of using the search feature.

Look at the Denver sticky for ideas.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...s-updated.html

A moderator can edit this information so it more updated monthly or bi monthly if needed. Members can direct message (DM) the forum moderator for ideas in the future.

For now I would like to hear your ideas for very informative threads that have been posted that will help the general audience of the Charlotte forum.

For example

MAPS
I found a Union County subdivision map
Charlotte Area GIS Maps, Real Estate Lookup, Register of Deeds

It would be awesome if we had every community of the NC side maps including those of surrounding counties.

Feel free to share your opinion in this thread.

SunnyKayak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I would really like to see a sticky w/ links to maps. I think this would help newcomers immensely.

However, I am thinking that in the header, where the MOD can put notes or announcements - a permanent announcement could be there directing posters to a link w/ maps. This way, the maps link would not be taking up a spot for stickies. A sticky can be quite helpful for announcing area events.

In regard to photos: I know there was interest expressed on doing a sticky at the holiday season so we can all post photos of our decorated homes. This is a wonderful expression of the community we have developed online.

I also hope we can keep doing a sticky for GNO - as newcomers are expressing a lot of interest in this and it is truly a CD phenomena. I think GNO is one of the best examples of how a virtual community has developed into a real life community.

So my thought is . . . if we can only have 2 stickies at a time . . . and there will be times we want photos . . . seems we will want to keep those 2 slots open for announcements and photos, and figure out another way to post a link for maps.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 AM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Default Go For it!

Love what the Denver MOD did, you should do the same!

There are plenty of topics that always seem to get dug up again or a new thread started, like Snakes or bug or Real estate. I like the comparison the Denver MOD did too!

Dont forget my Best Burger place thread I did!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:44 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Charlotte's maps need to be updated every day.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM

58 posts, read 205,733 times
I know in my search for a place to live in Australia, there are several stickies I would like to have seen on the Australian forum I was using to avoid having had to do advanced searches.

A thread with Useful gov links...like the Maps you mentioned.

A thread about family life in different areas and what is offered

Perhaps threads about Dining, transportation.....anything that would gather info right at the top for a potential noob.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Love these ideas keep em coming.

Since Charlotte is a relative large community I was going to doctor, hair salon, pet grooming, restaurant recommindations by area of town they are in if possible.
I will try to do it by town as well Lake Norman area, Mint Hill, Matthews
Do you think I should divide Charlotte into areas University area, South Park, Uptown, ballantyne, west Charlotte, south Charlotte (feel free to add)?

Thank you for your input and it will take me some time to get it looking halfway decent

Old 03-18-2008, 04:48 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,510 times
oooh, a sticky about stickies!

Old 03-18-2008, 09:35 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Sunny - I think if you start chopping it up too much, you'll get into a logistical nightmare. A good divide could be by county. So many things about down here rests on the county.

Maps that you just could google for wouldn't be helpful - maps showing housing specifics like subs would be immensely useful and popular.

Not to make any more work for you, but something where a specific area is highlighted on a rotating basis - maybe even get some regulars here to write up their little area (where they eat cheap/special occasions/pizza/chinese/etc, where they shop for groceries, where they get their hair cut, etc). The previous threads could get dropped from sticky and maybe have an archive list of previous featured areas. I know people would love to come here and find a "feature" like that about where they are considering living.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM

feel free anyone post some of your favorite helpful threads

Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Because crime is an issue often discussed, I think there should be a sticky for all the crime threads--so we don't have to be broken records around these parts.

Edit: just checked out the Colorado sticky and I think it's awesome! Because newbies don't know how to use the SEARCH tool, it would help us all to not have to keep repeating the same information over and over again.

Edit: sticky sections to consider: threads about nightlife, singles' scene, outdoor recreation and parks, networking or social groups, traffic issues, grocery stores, shopping, local sports, nearby vacation spots (aka mountains, beach, lakes, etc), real estate, jobs, local government, daycares, bedroom communities, taxes, water restrictions, local garden nurseries, local restaurants, and holidays.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Great job Sunny for putting this together!

Edit: schools and churches

Last edited by carolina_guy; 03-19-2008 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte