U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 127,302 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been mentioned but if you really want to come here and have not found a job why not get a commercial drivers license and deliver stuff? I see tons of jobs for cdl drivers and I read somewhere that it's so easy to get this license. I don't know about cost of commerical license but it looks like a fast way to get a job and non-poverty pay while you look for a "real" job. What other job is easier then this?? hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,869,597 times
Cost is usually 2-3K for the license 8 week course, with some offering a job after it.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:48 PM

628 posts, read 1,855,909 times
Driving a truck is a real tough job. Most of the established companies want several years experience. If you go to a company that offers training (ie Schneider) be prepared to drive all over the country, all hours and be home every other weekend if your lucky. To make a decent amount of money; you need to drive at least 400 miles a day. If your lucky you might make40 for your first year). Also, bennies stink because driver are in notoriusly bad physical shape and the rates are ridiculous! It's not a job for a family guy and as I stated the local jobs will want experience. I worked as a driver manager for an LTL company so I know a bit about the industry.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 PM

46 posts, read 127,302 times
Oh I see, I had no idead it cost 2-3k. I was actually talking to the guy who delivers to me and he told me he and his wife came a year ago without jobs and they are doing well. He drives a straight truck (not big rig) with a motor back gate so maybe it will be easier for this kind of license but I don't know. He never looks tired and always is smiling. Just throwing out suggestions to the hopefuls and dreamers.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:42 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,782,303 times
Be very careful about moving there without a job. I did it back in the mid 90's and made out well because the city was just starting to get noticed and had not yet grown to what it is today. We absolutely loved the city and would not have moved if I had not received a fantastic job opportunity in Phoenix. Charlotte has always been a city of opportunity for those ready to work hard and take advantage of them. You may also want to register with some of the local temp agencies until you find a job you like. I wish you well.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,898,335 times
not sure on rules in NC for straight truck, but up here you can drive one ( based on size/load ) with no cdl. So with some training/experience one could run say a 24' truck for a delivery or courier service ( or even some local/regional carriers may use them for local stops ) and get a decent entry job if that's what you are looking for to get going.
Again, I can't speak for down there, but I do know up here anyone with any truck experience has at minimum a foot in the door. Then they may help move you thru the cdl needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or