U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 107,501 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are visitng the week of the 7th for interviews and to check out the area (we have drove through Charlotte, but never stopped). He is a self pro-claimed BBQ-a-holic--who claims he was really supposed to be born in the south due to his love of BBQ and sweet tea :-). So what would be the best BBQ joint to treat him a meal to? The messier the better :-) We will be staying in Monroe, but will be visiting the Charlotte area.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 02:41 PM

237 posts, read 761,947 times
I would definitly go to Macs speed shop its on South Blvd in Charlotte. Their website is all one word but take off one S between the words Macs and Speed like macspeed. Awesome ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc.. They are always busy. Never had anything bad there. Great atmosphere too.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:59 PM

63 posts, read 404,693 times
My wife and I just visited from NY and went to Macs during the Lunch time rush on a Monday. The place was packed,and had a great atmosphere.
We waited for about a minute for a table which was not bad at all. My wife was afraid it might be a big biker bar but it was very much an eclectic crowd, plenty of 9-5er's in there to go along with the Harley Dudes. Fun place.

We both had the pulled pork sandwhich's and thought it was good but not great. It was a little dry even with the sauce.
I also had the Wings which were Excellent, done in a slow cooker as opposed to being fried.

I would go back simply because the atmosphere was very cool and I would be open to trying the other menu items. But as far as the Pulled Pork was concerned I'd give it a 6-7 on a scale of 1-10.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
I like Bubba's BBQ - it is more eastern style (vinegar based sauce).

Here is link:

Charlotte Barbecue - Sauces, Catering, Dining - Bubba's Barbecue

Good luck on your job interviews . . . and welcome to the Charlotte area!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,826,246 times
Darrells in Rockwell, NC.
Best around IMHO.

Worth the drive from Monroe.

Hendricks in Salisbury (formerly Blackwelders for over 50 yrs) is my close second.

Both of these are very small old restaurants, nothing fancy.
Darrells is very tiny.

Last edited by mullman; 03-29-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 03:10 PM

51 posts, read 145,422 times
Elliott's BBQ on 74 just north of 51 is one of my favourites. The Rock Store Bar B-Q in Stallings is also excellent. Open Wed-Sat only I believe, but if you are going to go you will want to verify.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 20,719 times
Thumbs up BBQ lover

Since I'm from Memphis, I am a BBQ fanatic. Home to the world's largest BBQ fest where BBQ lovers come from all over the world to try to compete and beat the Memphis BBQ, I am always looking for a place that I could even slightly compare to Memphis BBQ. I have never been able to find anything. There have been plenty of restaurants to claim they have Memphis BBQ but I have always left unsatisfied and wondering how they could even make such a claim. However, I finally came across a restaurant that is very similar and am very excited. It is call Sticky Fingers and there is a location in south Charlotte area in the BAllantyne area and another in Concord Mills area in North Charlotte. I have only eaten at the one in South Charlotte. If your husband loves BBQ he would probably really love this place.

[Moderator Cut: Soliciting]

Last edited by lknhomesbymichelle; 03-29-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: advertising/soliciting

Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,265,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Darrells in Rockwell, NC.
Best around IMHO.

Worth the drive from Monroe.

Hendricks in Salisbury (formerly Blackwelders for over 50 yrs) is my close second.

Both of these are very small old restaurants, nothing fancy.
Darrells is very tiny.
For outside of CLT - I agree heartily w/ Mullman's recommendations. Oh my. I am now craving BBQ.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,991,901 times
I still like R&R BBQ, Troutmans BBQ and Old Hickory House Restaurant for the Charlotte region, but still prefer to get BBQ in the Lexington/Piedmont Triad area whenever possible.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,230,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I still like R&R BBQ, Troutmans BBQ and Old Hickory House Restaurant for the Charlotte region, but still prefer to get BBQ in the Lexington/Piedmont Triad area whenever possible.
I couldnt agree with you more nothing like restaurants on the barbecue trail
The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail

When I go to a new barbecue question I ask them the following questions
What is it cook on? (hopefully hickory wood chips slow cook in the back)
What is it cook in (sauce)
What part of the pig (they should know this if they specialize in barbecue)
You would be surprise those who cannot answer this question and I cross some restaurants that do not know if there bbq is eastern, western or SC style.

If they cannot answer these questions I walk out the door because they do not know barbecue and are just a wannabe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte