Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
How do we really know it's 1,500 new jobs created vs other people in Amazon Concord or transfers taking the positions?
Well here's the thing. There's a major difference between the fulfillment centers and the sort center. Those people transferring from the current Concord site to the new Concord site will go from working inconsistent part-time hours to a consistent full-time job. So they'll likely go from qualifying for government assistance to no longer qualifying for it. I know for myself I work in another Amazon and they offer a reduced schedule with a high enough hourly rate(shift differential pay for reduced schedule and nights/weekends) that it actually is significantly more than doing the regular full-time. So there is a possibility of some of the workers making around $30,000/yr with that number moving closer to $40,000 when taking their monthly bonus incentive plan they offer into account.
Plus another thing to take into consideration that it won't mean that they won't need to replace the work force at the sort center when their workers do transfer. Oh and finally there is already a cross dock in Charlotte with full-time positions. Part-timers at the sort center have left the sort center for that site, but turn over is so high at Amazon either way. I remember hearing members from lead at a sort center discuss how much easier it is to get fired in regular fulfillment centers. So those same people transferring might find themselves back to working in the sort center 90 days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empower77 View Post
I know that over 300 people are transfering from the amazon warehouse in charlotte to the new one in kannapolis that is opening in a few weeks.
I'm not in the Charlotte area, but I thought about transferring to the new site opening in 2 weeks. That one is going to be a non-sort. I work in a sortable myself right now and I get anxiety being in pallet land. I just can't trust people in there. They can barely drive on the streets. It's a nightmare thinking about them losing pallets way up in the air. Plus the one they're talking about opening next year is going to be a AR Sort(Amazon Robotics- More automation with things like shelves moving to the people). That makes me willing to be patient, but I can only hope they have RT shift, because I've been enjoying my $15/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 01:28 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Either learn computers and make 35k a year, get a certification in computers and make 55k, get a degree in computers make 100k or a finance degree will easily get you 80k starting off.

If you’re not willing to go to college or you get a stupid degree, you don’t do a lot with your time in school, if you’re not willing to learn skills such as with computers or cars or construction.... then $15 is the most you’re gonna make.
I asked about income because I felt some were being negative toward some of the people who live in West Charlotte. I agree that opportunities are limited if you are only making $15 dollars an hour. I don't know everyone's situation, but college is hard for some families to pull off. I'm blessed to have a masters degree. So I know the importance of a post high school education.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 AM

573 posts, read 548,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Either learn computers and make 35k a year, get a certification in computers and make 55k, get a degree in computers make 100k or a finance degree will easily get you 80k starting off.

If you’re not willing to go to college or you get a stupid degree, you don’t do a lot with your time in school, if you’re not willing to learn skills such as with computers or cars or construction.... then $15 is the most you’re gonna make.
Doctoral degrees in Theater and Computer Science are considered the biggest waste of time than any other equivalent degrees. One can make as much money with a baccalaureate in either field as the person with a doctoral in either. Surprisingly, people with degrees in computers don't make that much. Ask the Geeks.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:22 PM

28 posts, read 32,734 times
At least we are at the bottom of the pay scale.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:42 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Additional article I found with more information:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...8&kwp_0=877858

Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM

53 posts, read 97,243 times
The new amazon in concord opened last week and the starting wage is $11.50 the same as the amazon warehouse in charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte