Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I really appreciate your stepping in and helping us out here, Sunny. Thank you! We just want to follow TOS, and my understanding is - posting an email would be fine as long as no names used, etc. Thank you so much for checking it out for us.

Now back to topic: LAMF: I think part of the reason this is taking place in broad daylight is - so many people at work in neighborhoods . . . plus in this case, driving a Lexus so it seemed to "fit in" . . . and . . . so many of us have people "working" at our homes anyway . . . from domestic help to plumbers, electricians, decorators . . .

In my neighborhood, we are fortunate b/c not only is there a retired couple, three of us (three different houses - 4 people) on this same street work at home! So we noticed everything and check in w/ each other if something doesn't look "right." Plus, we have eight SAHMoms . . . right here w/in 15 houses. So most of the people on the two streets right here are at home during the day . . .

I took a personal safety course back in 1981 and was told at that time that over 3/4 of home break-ins occur b/n the hours of 10-2 pm. Now I don't know if that is still the case . . . but I bet it is . . . cause people are gone to work and kids are not home, yet.
Again I agree with you Ani (big surprise there!). Having neighbors around who work from home really does help a street to stay safer and this is not a new thing. Criminals have preferred school hours for their breaking and entering for several decades. I would tell any newcomer about to make an offer on a particular home to get out of the car and go knock on some doors - find out the scoop from the folks who live there. And if you luck up with a next door neighbor who works from home - buy that house, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again I agree with you Ani (big surprise there!). Having neighbors around who work from home really does help a street to stay safer and this is not a new thing. Criminals have preferred school hours for their breaking and entering for several decades. I would tell any newcomer about to make an offer on a particular home to get out of the car and go knock on some doors - find out the scoop from the folks who live there. And if you luck up with a next door neighbor who works from home - buy that house, lol!
And I just thought of something else . . . on our street - we have a rottie, 3 german shepherds, two chows, three pitbulls, a beagle and five yorkies!!!!! My dog can hear those yorkies and she starts up a fuss! I go to the window and check my neighbor's house when the yorkies start yelping. Yes, we can hear them down the street even tho they are inside!!! ROFL!!! I have taken Miss Scarlett and walked up the street b/f as has my neighbor w/ the rottie.

The pitts, chows and german shepherds do not bark unless someone is right on the property. But that beagle!! We hear her start howling and several of us are outside checking out what is going on.

We all have alarm systems, as well. Every person in this neighborhood. And we are not in a "hot spot" for crime - but I do wonder . . . Have all our "alarm system monitored by" signs and yelping dogs kept the criminals away? Or is it the fact that you can drive through here and see that there are people at home? I do wonder.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:29 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My husband and I both work from home in an office with windows at the front of the house, so we have our own "Rear Window" type conversations about everyone on the street... LOL

Just a couple of weeks ago we saw a young man going door to door who we didn't recognize. He came to our door and my husband answered it, and as soon as he started giving his spiel about whatever he was selling, my husband said, "We're not interested." and shut the door in his face. I got suspicious when I saw him bother the lady across the street *twice* and then emerge a short time later from the back of her house. I called the police on him.

So I went and knocked on my neighbor's door, and asked her what that guy wanted. She said he was selling magazines, and then the second time he had come by, he pretended like he forgot he had already been there, and asked to use her bathroom. She's home most afternoons with just a small child, so she politely told him no. (We think he possibly used the "bathroom" behind her house.)

Needless to say she keeps the alarm system on during the day even while she's home, and she had to shut it off when I went over there. But I let her know that we're both here most days, and she said she is too. And then we had a good laugh about the fact that we watch all the cars of the people who park on our street and recognize all the same people that go back and forth every day, so we know who "belongs!"

FWIW, both the house next to her and the house next to me are for sale!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:44 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Or is it the fact that you can drive through here and see that there are people at home? I do wonder.
I have to go to the post office later. I'll drive through your neighborhood & check it out.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I have to go to the post office later. I'll drive through your neighborhood & check it out.
Hee Hee. Come on by, Barking! We just had Two Men and a Truck go by - Miss Scarlett was sooo upset!

You and DH about met at the PO - he wemt 45 mins. ago, LOL!!!!!

Toot when you get to my house. Or just linger at the top of the driveway and see how long it takes for Miss Scarlett to go BONKERS!!!! ROFL!!!!

DHL delivered here this morning and I thought the poor girl was going to pass out b/f she got away from the door. Miss Scarlett is soooo demure . . . until you step on our property.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Hee Hee. Come on by, Barking! We just had Two Men and a Truck go by - Miss Scarlett was sooo upset!
I actually saw them either loading up someone's house or unloading...

Quote:
You and DH about met at the PO - he went 45 mins. ago, LOL!!!!!
I just got back from there. What a miserable experience, but its tax season.

Quote:
Toot when you get to my house. Or just linger at the top of the driveway and see how long it takes for Miss Scarlett to go BONKERS!!!! ROFL!!!!
I will have a go at it again tomorrow. I forgot what your address was so I just hit the major streets in & out of the development. There was only one house that was giganormous & ugly. It reminded me a lot of the faux bombed out farmhouses across from CCD.

Quote:
DHL delivered here this morning and I thought the poor girl was going to pass out b/f she got away from the door. Miss Scarlett is soooo demure . . . until you step on our property.
Really? I'll have to bring here a dino bone from Harris Teeter.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I will have a go at it again tomorrow. I forgot what your address was so I just hit the major streets in & out of the development. There was only one house that was giganormous & ugly. It reminded me a lot of the faux bombed out farmhouses across from CCD.
YOU FOUND MY HOUSE! Dern, Barking, you are soooo good. Such a sleuth. But you must not have stopped. Miss Scarlett was sitting at the front door waiting. She never so much as sniffed loudly.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
YOU FOUND MY HOUSE! Dern, Barking, you are soooo good. Such a sleuth. But you must not have stopped. Miss Scarlett was sitting at the front door waiting. She never so much as sniffed loudly.
No, I missed your street. But my vehicle looks like it belongs in the neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No, I missed your street. But my vehicle looks like it belongs in the neighborhood.
You drive a Bentley?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
You drive a Bentley?
Hah! Nope... German.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte