U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,955,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Regarding shotgun shells, it depends on your living situation: do you have kids?; how close are your neighbors; how thick are your walls? Townhome, condo, apartment?

If kids and neighbors are no concern, I would recommend 00 buck shot for lethal stopping power.

If you do have kids or vinyl siding like me, I'd recommend #4 buck shot. It still has the stopping power but wall penetration is greatly diminished.

I actually use both. My set up is 2 #4s, 3 00s, then a side saddle of 5 00.
Great advice - nice mix of fire power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,416,836 times
How do you feel about rifled slugs?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,026,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
How do you feel about rifled slugs?
I am pretty sure they would hurt.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 AM

45 posts, read 140,288 times
Dilworth residents are meeting tonight (April 2) to discuss the spike in crime in their neighborhood - (East Worthington Ave. armed robbery, etc.). Anyway, they're forming a crime coalition to help thwart crimes in their area; hiring off duty police to patrol their area and other means of protecting themselves.
Maybe other neighborhoods should follow suit.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,795,889 times
I definitely agree with Ani. People must start shooting and killing these thugs before they get the picture that people are no longer living in fear and will protect themselves and their family at whatever cost they must. The great thing about FL is that they had passed a law stating you can shoot and kill anyone anytime you felt in danger. I never had to do that. I hope NC follows suit. All I have to say is that someone who enters my house day or night and is not my bf, they are getting shot and I'll answer questions later. I'm not going to sit there and contemplate the law on whether or not I feel Im in danger, blah blah blah. If you do not reside in my property, you have no business being there unless expected. Its my life or their pos's life and I choose mine ANYDAY!!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,664,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I am pretty sure they would hurt.
Hahaha...Laugh Out Loud literally....

Great for deer, but you better be pretty darn accurate to nail the perp. But if you miss, you can expect some pissed off neighbors--that is, if they're still alive to b**ch you out.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 AM

3,322 posts, read 4,529,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves - When I hear stories like that, it makes me more motivated to get my gun and a concealed carry permit. I suspect that if I encountered the same circumstances as that poor woman with kids, with my current state of mind, the outcome would have been very different. I'd also "rob" them (whatever cash was in their wallets is mine) after a couple of head shots (crime victims compensation act - my own!!) Rob Tufano from WBTV would certainly be having an "interesting interview" for the 11:00 PM news that night! I sure my "too bad, so sad Ha Ha Ha" attitude would provoke some interesting comments! Go ahead folks - Really take a bite out of crime!

Amen!!

I just love it how some people want to tell you that you can't shoot unless you feel your life is threatened. Guess what? When someone I don't know enters my house and/or property without my consent, I feel my life is threatened. If I am able to shoot, I will. I have a wife and 3 month old baby at home so there are now 3 people whose lives are threatened. Anyway, if I do decide to shoot, I am shooting to kill because I can guarantee you that this isn't the thug(s) first time robbing someone and won't be the last time should they get away. I will be doing the local population a favor. I'm tired of being told to play the victim and let some bleeding-heart judge slap these thugs on the hand as "punishment".

I know it's not easy pulling the trigger and the opportunity doesn't always present itself, but I will be damned if I don't try. I guess I should be happy if I just chase them off, but what does that really do? They'll hit someone else or try me another time.

To all of those out there who have rightfully defended themselves and prevented themselves from being a victim by fighting off these criminals (especially killing them) I say kudos and thank you!!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM

575 posts, read 1,349,097 times
Default Not A Hoax

The following was passed along to me by a fellow resident for posting: Take note, it was not any of the Wesley Oaks, Glen or Estates neighborhoods, but very close:

Dear Berkshire Neighbors,

Thanks to the heightened awareness and the vigilance of one our homeowners, three burglars were apprehended today after breaking and entering a home. They entered the neighborhood on foot, broke in the back door of the home, stole some personal effects and exited the neighborhood to New Town Road, where they were picked up by a person driving a Black Jimmy SUV getaway vehicle. These were caucasion men, 5'8 to 5'10 weighing approximately 190-200 lbs.

I want to re-emphasize the need to be alert, to take action quickly by calling the police and to document details. The description of the make and model of the vehicle made a huge difference in this case. Please call the police when you see anyone that you don't recognize or anyone who looks suspicious. It's important to talk about this and continue the awareness so we can look after one another.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,955,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
The following was passed along to me by a fellow resident for posting: Take note, it was not any of the Wesley Oaks, Glen or Estates neighborhoods, but very close:

Dear Berkshire Neighbors,

Thanks to the heightened awareness and the vigilance of one our homeowners, three burglars were apprehended today after breaking and entering a home. They entered the neighborhood on foot, broke in the back door of the home, stole some personal effects and exited the neighborhood to New Town Road, where they were picked up by a person driving a Black Jimmy SUV getaway vehicle. These were caucasion men, 5'8 to 5'10 weighing approximately 190-200 lbs.

I want to re-emphasize the need to be alert, to take action quickly by calling the police and to document details. The description of the make and model of the vehicle made a huge difference in this case. Please call the police when you see anyone that you don't recognize or anyone who looks suspicious. It's important to talk about this and continue the awareness so we can look after one another.
Do you have any idea when this took place? I am wondering if these guys have been involved in some of the other daytime break-ins.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 AM

249 posts, read 797,041 times
As the saying goes, "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Our plan is if our 2nd threshold is crossed (top of stairs, all bedrooms are upstairs) they will be shot without hesitation.

Now that said, it's still lose lose for the homeowner. I can't imagine my wife ever spending another night in the house. When you really think about what the after effects will be (crime scene, blood/internal matter everywhere, mental images, neighborhood impact etc) there is no silver lining. Then try to sell your house with that disclosure, good luck.

Lose, lose. But I'm still shooting because it beats lose/lose/lose I guess. I'm really starting to get the idea that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or