Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:30 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Death Metal shirt and jeans or a "I heart Jury Nullification" shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
Is she trying to be chosen or dismissed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Overdressed or underdressed decreases your odds of being picked. A MAGA shirt is a great way of being rejected by one side or the other.
Interesting thought! Gotta remember that if ever I am called...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If your wife was called for jury duty, why are asking what you should wear?
The topic of attire for men/women came up, hence my query. You never know when you'll get called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I just recently had jury duty in Mecklenburg County and I did see a few people in jeans. I think dark jeans with a polo-type shirt would be o.k. for men. Probably would not wear a plain t-shirt.

Luckily for me I didn't get chosen for jury duty.
Lucky indeed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I think you can pretty much wear anything you want but I wouldn't go in looking like you just crawled out from under a bus stop bench. When I went, it was khaki pants, collared shirt and black shoes. I wasn't worried about getting picked or dismissed. I was there to do my civic duty. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a 2-week trial or anything like that.
Thanks Spanky's...that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I don't know what things are like in your part of NC, but here's what I can tell you about jury duty attire.

I live in Baltimore and have served jury duty more times than I can keep track of. In court here, as long as what you're wearing is clean, untorn, not a uniform, and doesn't have any possibly offending text or graphics, you're OK.
Thanks P47!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
When I did jury duty in Orange Co about 10 yrs ago in the summer it was pretty loose. Lots of shorts and t-shirts. It was hot!
Last time I served was in NY, but like Orange Co., there was a variety of attire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Jury duty is about examining the facts and coming to a logical conclusion in each case. and it is deliberately organized to bring together people from all walks of life; the last thing to be concerned about is what someone else might "think" about your appearance.
It's silly to think that my query was motivated by image consciousness.

This is the South.

I remember a poster recollecting his experience in a small NC town a couple of years ago; apparently he was ticked for speeding excessively, and had to show up personally in court.

The judge would not allow him to appear in casual attire.

Last edited by NDL; 07-02-2018 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I remember a poster recollecting his experience in a small NC town a couple of years ago; apparently he was ticked for speeding excessively, and had to show up personally in court.

The judge would not allow him to appear in casual attire.
I think that was different, though, since he was the defendant. The defendant in my case was a real scumbag, but he was still in a suit and tie.

I don't remember what the other jurors wore, but I had to leave early from a planned vacation in Boone and stopped by Target in Greensboro on the way and bought some linen slacks for about $15 and a nice v-neck t-shirt with a tree on it. I was dressed nicer than 90% of the people in the jury pool. It was around the week of July 4th and it was _very_ hot. There were LOTS of people in cargo shorts and any ol' t-shirts and they did not get reprimanded or looked at funny.

I did get seated on the jury and it was an interesting experience. I'm glad I did it. I'm also glad it was just a possession of stolen property case and not a murder case or something heinous like that. We found that the defendant in the case was guilty of possession of stolen property and after the trial they told us that he had been tried in Durham County for the burglary, but we weren't allowed to know that during the case. He was arrested in Orange County with the stolen property (a car) and we were to determine if he knew it was stolen and knew what was in it.

This was in Hillsborough, which is the county seat of Orange County (Chapel Hill is not), so also a small NC town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte