Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM

46 posts, read 151,369 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Chicago, Illinois. I am looking for options to move in next year. I will be finishing my residency and looking forward to start working as a doc. I am considering Colorado, NC and Florida.
My question would be if there is a community/suburb in Colorado with the following features:
-Good transportation: I mean, served by buses and light train. Is there any part in Denver/Colorado that is served by both? This is important, since my wife does not drive a car.
-A downtown: I am looking for a community (or suburbs) where you can just have a walk around and have access to restaurants, boutiques, grosery stores, banks, maybe an old fashioned movie theater and a whole food market. An area that is nice and active, that brings life to the community. It does not need to be big, or top in the nation though. However I would prefer living in an area with a small downtown than in a community where you have to drive for everything or where the only thing to do is driving to the mall every weekend.
-safe, good schools.
-open mind/educated people, respectful and tolerant with hardworking people and legal immigrants that came to cover jobs where there is a shortage and try to give back something to this country.

If someone from Chicago is reading this, I have tried to describe communities as Oak Park/forest park. If you ask, why don't you just stay there? Well, there are some issues that I don't like here:
-cost of linving: I want to be able to get a good size home, maybe with a yard.
-traffic, traffic.
-I love nature and maybe there is a more scenic place in US than Chicago. For regular people that does not live in Downtown Chicago and has to work hard every day, if you are not around the lake, the rest of the city is all the same.
-weather: I could take the winter if it would be sunnier.
-safety for rising children. in the future we will want to have children and I don't think Chicao is the safest place to rise them.
Any help with my questions would be very appreciated, since i have never been in NC (however I read good things about it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
Well, with the "traffic, traffic" being a reason to leave Chicago, you will find Charlotte no better. There may be less people on the road than in Chicago, but the road systems were not designed to handle the amount of people driving on them. I-77 is only two lanes going into Charlotte.
For example, Friday at about 1pm (so, most people are at work), it took me 30 minutes to go a mile. There was a small, light damage accident with no cops on the scene and it still took 30 minutes.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:00 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,830 times
Charlotte traffic is nowhere near as bad as that in Chicago.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,778 times
No, it is not as bad as Chicago, but it's not great either. Charlotte traffic is much worse than Detroit traffic, and Detroit and its metro areas is much larger. And, not many live in Detroit that work in the city.

I was just pointing out that if traffic was something I wanted to avoid, Charlotte would not be the place I'd move to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte