U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 61,684 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering relocating to Charlotte and I've been wondering about options for women's shopping. I know my favorite NY stores-Loehman's, Century 21, and Daffy's are not in Charlotte and I would like to know (from those familiar with these stores), if there are stores comparable/similar to these in Charlotte?
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,546,023 times
I miss Loehmann's -- IMO not really anything comparable around here. A store I like here is Stein Mart -- probably the closest thing. We have Marshall's and TJ Maxx as well, very hit-or-miss though.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 PM

1,865 posts, read 4,783,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I miss Loehmann's -- IMO not really anything comparable around here. A store I like here is Stein Mart -- probably the closest thing. We have Marshall's and TJ Maxx as well, very hit-or-miss though.
SteinMart definitely. Marshall's/TJ Maxx/ Home Goods/ Ross all carry pretty much the same stuff & have to agree about it being hit-or-miss. Then there's Macys & Dillards at the malls.

BxRosie

Old 03-30-2008, 03:08 PM

673 posts, read 2,434,159 times
I'm not from NJ/NY, but I love Daffy's & Century 21. We go to NY quite often and always go there. Department stores here that I can think of are Macy's, Belk, Sears, Dillards, Kohl's, Stein Mart, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx. Burlington Coat Factory. There was another store called Value City, but that just closed. Bummer - because I really liked that store!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,305 times
I agree with all of the above posters. Steinmart is most like Loehmanns. Do you know that we had a Loehmanns here for the first 15 years that i lived here? I loved it. Every time I went there I used to fantasize that I was still in my 30's, weighing 125 and living in the NE. Oh well ....

Maybe if some of you NY/NJ girls would write them encouraging them to return, they would.

Value City had great bargains on shoes.

What's Daffy's and Century 21?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM

20 posts, read 61,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I agree with all of the above posters. Steinmart is most like Loehmanns. Do you know that we had a Loehmanns here for the first 15 years that i lived here? I loved it. Every time I went there I used to fantasize that I was still in my 30's, weighing 125 and living in the NE. Oh well ....

Maybe if some of you NY/NJ girls would write them encouraging them to return, they would.

Value City had great bargains on shoes.

What's Daffy's and Century 21?
Thank you to all that replied. I am very happy to see that my other favorites-TJMaxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory are there, even if they are a hit or miss sometimes. This happens here too. I definitely look forward to exploring the other stores that were suggested.

BarbJ, to answer your question, Daffy's and Century 21 both sell desiger clothing (American and European) at discounted prices. There are quite a number of Daffy's stores in NY, and some in NJ and PA (but only a few). Century 21 is dubbed "New York's best kept secret" but of course it's no secret because most people know about it. It's located across the street from where the World Trade Center used to be and typically attracts a lot of tourists. You should definitely check them out if you visit NY.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,797,631 times
It all depends on style, I find shopping in NC very disappointing. You won't find the same styles--clothing and shoes here even at the trendy spots at SouthPark are outdated compared with NY fashions. I've been to Stein Mart, and the clothing although are discounted designers, they are still out of season for me. My 15 year old daughter, tend to say that the style in NC is at least two years behind NY.

Although, I love living here, I make purchases on line or will wait until I visit NYC or Atlanta. NC tax all clothing items, so shopping in NY is well worth the efforts especially when purchasing large quantities. I don't really know what the deal is with style in NC, but you won't find any comparable stores you listed here. Oh, how I can't wait until Memorial weekend to shop till I drop and save a bundle on tax free clothing.

Last edited by Brooklyn_QueenBee; 03-30-2008 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-31-2008, 01:39 AM

118 posts, read 408,557 times
Stein Mart is your best bet. However I must say you have to have a great deal of patience to shop at Centry 21, That store is always crowed. I've found a lot of nice things at stinemart, my Mom lives in NYC and looks forward to shopping at Steinmart. Charlotte does not have the same flavor as far as clothes, but folks here IMO aren't into fashion like NYers/NJers. It's so funny when I see my 14 year old niece the way she dresses in comparison to the folks here(her age of course) I crack up. She's such a fashionista. Now I have to ask my niece and my little sister where are the hot spots for clothes when I go back to New York. Go figure

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 AM

264 posts, read 827,985 times
wow, I don't find Steinmart anything like Loehmann's. I am an experienced Loehmann's, Century 21 and Daffy's shopper. I have fond memories of the downtown Century 21 that was damaged in the 9/11 attacks. A pair of Tods' driving mocs for under $100 comes to mind

I do not see the brand name clothing at Steinmart that you would find in these NY stores. Actually I like Steinmart for the housewares but I don't care for their women's clothing at all. I feel that it tends toward the gaudy, over-embellished style vs. modern or chic. On the other hand you can find great stuff at Marshall's and TJMaxx. I have found Gwen Stefani for Sportsac handbags, Bulgari colognes and Ben Sherman for men, all at TJ's and Marshall's. I guess it depends on your personal style, whether you like Steinmart, TJ Maxx or Marshall's.

There is also a Saks 5th outlet at Concord Mills. Mind you, this outlet features both closeouts from actual Saks stores and merchandise that is made and/or marketed only to outlets. If you shop there, have someone show you the difference. You can tell by the price tags. Great deals on designers like Michael Kors and hip jeans brands like Paper/Denim, etc. There is also a small kids section and they have some housewares and decorative items.

But there's no "homegrown" discount place here, like you have in Daffy's or Century 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte