Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM

159 posts, read 257,424 times

Advertisements

I want to retire in a place in NC where i can meet people my age, but not in a retirement home! Gastonia looks like it is affordable, but what is it like there? Is there a community that older people enjoy?

I see it has a Y, and I like that, but is there any other reason to move there?

I have considered Hendersonville, and Spartenburg, but RT 26 is Horrible, and many years outdated.

Than I looked at Marion, which is isolated and further from airports, and Johnson City TN which sounds great, but it is also isolated.

People like apex area, and that sounds great.

I would like to be able to commute to my daughter who is in Asheville NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 01:09 PM

560 posts, read 530,306 times
Check out crime and demographics in Gastonia. Also traffic is bad on Franklin Ave (#74) and I-85. If your daughter is in Asheville, I would check out Asheville, Hendersonville, or even Maggie Valley first. Good luck. Gastonia is one of the "up-and-coming" places.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,258,155 times
I-26 may be outdated, but it's still only 45 minutes or so from Asheville, compared to about 1 hour and 45 minutes from Gastonia. Hendersonville does seem to be very popular for retirees.

I wouldn't really consider Johnson City to be isolated, unless you really wanted to be closer to a major airport.

Maybe Hickory? It's own town, but a little over an hour to Asheville via I-40 (not the best road to travel often either), and about an hour to Charlotte (outside of rush hour).

Old 07-05-2018, 01:57 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post
I want to retire in a place in NC where i can meet people my age, but not in a retirement home! Gastonia looks like it is affordable, but what is it like there? Is there a community that older people enjoy?

I have considered Hendersonville, and Spartenburg, but RT 26 is Horrible, and many years outdated.

Than I looked at Marion, which is isolated and further from airports, and Johnson City TN which sounds great, but it is also isolated.

Commute? Do you mean on a daily basis?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:01 PM

69 posts, read 53,927 times
Consider a place that, if your daughter moved, you would you still want to live there. In the last 10 years, my family has made two major moves and one mini-move across the Atlantic ocean. (Not military.) Step-daughter stayed in the home state. My son just left for another state for school. Given total freedom of choice, I don't know if we would have chosen to be exactly where we are now, but it isn't bad. It's better than being stuck in my home state forever!

Old 07-06-2018, 09:40 PM
NDL

4,502 posts, read 5,581,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I-26 may be outdated, but it's still only 45 minutes or so from Asheville, compared to about 1 hour and 45 minutes from Gastonia. Hendersonville does seem to be very popular for retirees.

I wouldn't really consider Johnson City to be isolated, unless you really wanted to be closer to a major airport.

Maybe Hickory? It's own town, but a little over an hour to Asheville via I-40 (not the best road to travel often either), and about an hour to Charlotte (outside of rush hour).
+1

Johnson City is a great place to be, if being near a major airport is not a consideration...same with Hendersonville.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:44 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,918,566 times
Gastonia isn't the best place to move to here. Its not particularly desirable and the violent crime is more so than surrounding towns. Try maybe Belmont?

Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,040,374 times
I’ve owned property in Gastonia & Spartanburg. I would highly recommend giving serious consideration to Spartanburg/ Spartanburg county. Check out Greer SC too.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,443,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schil View Post

It would be more helpful for us to advise you if you gave us a little more info to work with. Are you already retired or are you near retirement and would still need to work? Where are you originally from and how much are you willing to spend on housing? You're looking over a pretty wide swath of land in choosing a retirement location as well. More info could help us narrow it down!

Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It would be more helpful for us to advise you if you gave us a little more info to work with. Are you already retired or are you near retirement and would still need to work? Where are you originally from and how much are you willing to spend on housing? You're looking over a pretty wide swath of land in choosing a retirement location as well. More info could help us narrow it down!
I agree. What confused me is the line in the OP about commuting to her daughter's home in Asheville. Of all of the missing information, in my mind, that has to be cleared up 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte