U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM

69 posts, read 310,804 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to hear some opinions from you guys on Charlotte. Does Charlotte feel like a real city to you. I'm just wondering because I just returned from a three day trip in Charlotte and it didn't feel like a big city to me. Charlotte does not feel like a city that has over 600k people. I don't mean to offend anyone but I find Charlotte to be a dull, boring, and bland city full of boring suburban yuppies. The city lacks characters. Everything is brand new and it seemed like there was no real night life. Downtown was pretty much dead. On a higher note, Charlotte seems like a great place to raise a family. I am a young, single male so I guess that it why Charlotte does not appeal to me. I was pretty much disappointed because I expected Charlotte to be almost on par with Atlanta. Am I the only one who feels like this because it seems as if everyone else views Charlotte as some sort of utopia.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:31 PM

402 posts, read 938,106 times
Charlotte been there for three days. It's a cute town, but it doesnt' take many days to se all there is to see and the rest is residentual. Is it a city yes, but not a city like New York, San Fran, Boston...I would get bored there quickly if I had to live there.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM

578 posts, read 2,358,381 times
The reason Charlotte is great is because it is NOT on par with Atlanta in a lot of ways. People who want to live in Atlanta or bigger cities are free to move there, but as for me, I love Charlotte's family-friendly atmosphere and slower pace. Of course, I'm a married woman with children, so the type of activities some people are looking for, I've been there, done that and am not interested in now.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM

69 posts, read 328,947 times
Yes, I do consider Charlotte a major city. You can look at population, tall buildings, professional sports, airport stats--whatever you want to go by. It's obviously not as big as the cities that you mentiond you prefer. When you say that it lacks "character" I assume that you mean that everything seems new and typical, which I agree with for the most part. Charlotte does not have a unique feel (like Charleston or Savannah or Asheville) that gives you a sense of place.

If you have the "bigger = better" mentality, then you can find many places "better" than Charlotte. I don't live there, but I do like it a lot because it does have the advantages of a major city without the overwhelming traffic and other disdvantages of Atlanta. I'm not saying Charlotte is better than Atlanta, but there are many advantages to Charlotte.

The banking industry's importance in Charlotte may give some the initial "yuppie" impression that you mention. It always puzzles me when people claim that they aren't trying to offend and then launch into a string of insults instead of specific criticisms. It's kind of like saying, "You're ugly and stupid, but I don't mean that in a bad way!"

Old 03-30-2008, 02:11 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,696,455 times
Of course Charlotte is a city. Not all cities are exactly the same...thank goodness. If it doesn't suit you then you should probably visit someplace else next time. To use your words...I don't mean to offend anyone.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,060,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet View Post
I was pretty much disappointed because I expected Charlotte to be almost on par with Atlanta.
Do not take it personal, but I am glad you were disappointed.
Most here do not wish to be Atlanta Jr.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,174,042 times
[quote=NYLifes2shrt;3301123] But they won't face the reality that there is no comparison to cities like New York or San Fran. I also wonder how many have "really" traveled in their lifetime. I know that I have extensivly traveled all over the US...more than most. QUOTE]

Ooooh, that's RICH! So, while you were travelling all over the U.S., did anyone teach you how to spell?
No, there is no comparison to NYC or San Francisco, but that's a good thing! How boring would your travels have been if every city were the same?
There's nothing wrong with having a negative opinion, the trick is not to sound insulting.

Last edited by stmaarten; 03-30-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 PM

422 posts, read 1,217,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I also wonder how many have "really" traveled in their lifetime. I know that I have extensivly traveled all over the US...more than most. So, I choose to live in New York because I get bored very easily and here in the East Coast there is everything.
I probabley have traveled more then you, and I grew up in Boston Proper. That would be the city of Boston. I also lived in NYC for a bit as well.

I have also traveled to 4 continents (Asia, Africa, Europe, South American and of course North America) and I lived in Ireland and London. Been there done that.

Now that I got that out of the way-

I now live in Charlotte. I love it. I dont compare it to major cities across the US because Im eduacated I know that there is not a comparison.

Why on earth are you on this forum trying to insult people you dont know?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 PM

422 posts, read 1,217,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Is it a city yes, but not a city like New York, San Fran, Boston...I would get bored there quickly if I had to live there.
Oh yeah..... forgot to tell you...... People who are from San Francisco, do not like the city to be refered to as "San Fran".........

You need to remember that during your extensive travels!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM

69 posts, read 310,804 times
Wow! I'm receiving some heat from you guys. I really wasn't trying to insult anyone. I'm just stating the way I felt which is part of what this site is intended for, to state personal opinions. To NYLifes2Shrt, you said that I should have spent my money on a better vacation spot, I was attending a conference, not on vacation. Just wanted to clear that up, so I did not have a choice about going down there. To stmaarten, what you said makes a lot of sense and I respect that. Charlotte is not like NYC or San Francisco which adds to the diversity of this great country. It would be amazing how boring this country would be if there were cities all over the U.S. like NYC (my most favorite city in the whole wide world). There are a variety of cities to suit different personalities and lifestyles and I find NYC to be that city for me but one big plus that I found about Charlotte is that it is very clean and doesn't have an odor which is something I can't say about NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or