Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:14 PM

33 posts, read 104,970 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live off Griffith Road. It's country. We have almost 3 totally private acres. Monroe central has it's problems. There is crime in downtown Monroe. There is a large Hispanic population but not a large Greek population. Several supermarkets are located near enough not to be a problem. Get out of the city on Griffith Road and it is heavenly. You have to get permits to erect a permanent structure but that goes without saying anywhere. If you are in a subdivision (yes, there are large acreage subdivisions), you have to check the covenants and restrictions. There is a new hospital complex going up and the Monroe Mall is being redone. From where I live, it's less than 8 miles to "civilization". You will also want to consider getting a generator because when there is a power failure, it's usually a biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM

23 posts, read 93,658 times
Hello there turtlewalk and everyone, thanks for all your information! So...the crime is near grriffith? how are the people there? [aroudn griffitf road] You said its country..that sounds great to me... I like the idea of having private acres..and the supermarkets being close is good...thanks for the generator tip...does the power go off often? are there lots of storms ?
Thanks for all your help guys I look forward to living in the area

Old 06-15-2008, 01:49 PM

i just wanted to update this thread and everyone...
..we officially moved to monroe, nc!! w0ot w0ot!

we actually moved may 20th.... and so far absolutely LOVE it here... feels like home sweet home!

we dont really know people yet but everyone is very friendly around here.. and that means a lot to us..

i was wondering if anyone recommends a few nice places near here to check out or hang out in? [restaurants, shops, etc?] any hotspots? or must-sees?

what supermarket do you guys recommend? i've seen harristeeters bi-lo and food lion..? ..i also saw one closer to the house that said "farmers market" anyone been there? [not sure what they sell or when they'er open heh]

thanks for all your wonderful comments everyone! we are very happy to be here adn look forward to exploring this beautiful growing place!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:39 PM

280 posts, read 945,544 times
I have never lived in Monroe, but I dated a girl that lived there, and the main problem that I had with it was the commute to Charlotte. If you work in Charlotte, you will find that there is no really good way to get to Monroe in rush hour. It was taking me an hour and a half to get to her house in rush hour from downtown. Also, there are some rough areas down there as well.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM

250 posts, read 526,285 times
I loved her!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:23 PM

280 posts, read 945,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
I loved her!
bad idea. she sucks.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,643,838 times
I was lead to Monroe by some friends in NY and then was put off by lousy houses being mixed in with some very nice houses. I know this happens everywhere but this happened too often. Many times on the same block.In addition the historic district has a similar problem in that streets that butt right up to the district lines are "borderline" type houses.

And--way too many renters on the streets that I looked at.I found out an awful lot of information about these streets by speaking Spanish to them.I will NEVER forget the silly grin on the real estate agent's face (that didn't understand Spanish) when she thought this guy was telling me good things.
I'm still, LOL.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Wink happy in monroe <3

we are in Griffith road.. far from the chicken factories... and in a very nice neighborhood!
so far the neighbors have been wonderful! extremely friendly.. no HOA and everyone has a lot of privacy with HUGE lots. i'm not sure what part you went to.. but over here its lovely... and its not that far from all the main stores... target, bestbuy and all that is just 10 mins away!

we've been exploring little by little daily...
soo.... any nice places to hangout, eat at or recommendations ?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM

529 posts, read 1,972,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodaz View Post
i just wanted to update this thread and everyone...
..we officially moved to monroe, nc!! w0ot w0ot!

we actually moved may 20th.... and so far absolutely LOVE it here... feels like home sweet home!

we dont really know people yet but everyone is very friendly around here.. and that means a lot to us..

i was wondering if anyone recommends a few nice places near here to check out or hang out in? [restaurants, shops, etc?] any hotspots? or must-sees?

what supermarket do you guys recommend? i've seen harristeeters bi-lo and food lion..? ..i also saw one closer to the house that said "farmers market" anyone been there? [not sure what they sell or when they'er open heh]

thanks for all your wonderful comments everyone! we are very happy to be here adn look forward to exploring this beautiful growing place!
Where are you in Monroe? The area all depends on where to recommend you to go. I am like you, I love it here. Nothing but positives about where I live.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM

hey thanks so much for your reply
we are on griffith road right off of lancaster highway in Monroe, NC 28112
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte