U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 AM

2,163 posts, read 2,361,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I live in Unionville and while I agree that it is beautiful, my family's experience has not been a happy one.

My family & I moved here from So. Cal. with the intention of buying a home with some acreage in Unionville. Indeed, it is beautiful country here and we have had some of the most memorable experiences that have bonded my family closer together. However, our experience on the whole has been very negative with the locals. In short, they absolutely hate our presence here and have made it known. Please allow me to explain and forgive my long post. I will try to make it as brief as possible.

Our property is zoned as residential/agricultural. We are allowed to have horses, livestock, or poultry. We recently received a very rude awakening that pretty much has accomplished what we believe our neighbors have been wanting to do. One of our unkind neighbors wrote a letter of complaint to the township of Unionville about our activities on our property. We have dairy goats, chickens, and recently acquired a pig that we've been raising for meat and will soon be slaughtered (my apologies to any vegetarians that may be reading). The township sent us a copy of the ordinance in a pdf file and told us we were in violation. As it turns out, even though we ARE zoned for agricultural, we are forbidden to keep livestock or poultry within 150ft from the property line. Our property is long and narrow. It is only 280 ft. across which puts us in violation. We have been given no choice but to cease our activities otherwise we will be subject to fines.

Three years of hard work. Three years of investing time, energy, and finances----gone. Flushed down the toilet. We see no reason to keep such a large piece of property if we are forbidden to live a self-sufficient life as it was our goal to do. We might as well live in a neighborhood with an HOA then.

We are surrounded by neighbors that are all related to each other. At one time my property belonged to their family. We have heard rude comments, and been treated with disdain from the beginning. At first we tried to be friendly, reach out even, but to no avail. Then we just mostly kept to ourselves since they made it very clear they wanted nothing to do with us. So we obliged and kept to ourselves. But then at some point they decided they wanted to make life hard for us. Well they got their wish. I hope they are proud of what they've done. They've accomplished what they've set out to do. We won't be staying in Unionville. We will probably be selling our home as horse property (apparently, horses are fine and dandy). We have found that we cannot bare the hatred and ignorance we've had the misfortune to encounter.

I realize that people have different experiences and perspectives. I just had to share our story.
I conclude that the hatred and ignorance you encountered is probably due to the fact that you didn't do your homework. I might also be considered full of hatred and ignorance if the people that bought the home next to mine tried to raise farm animals against local ordinances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:24 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,089,694 times
He was my favorite character on Too Close for Comfort.

We went to Monroe last night to dine at Mucci's. Had to leave after we found out their machine was down and couldn't take debit cards. It seems like a nice, little quite town though.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 9,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I conclude that the hatred and ignorance you encountered is probably due to the fact that you didn't do your homework. I might also be considered full of hatred and ignorance if the people that bought the home next to mine tried to raise farm animals against local ordinances.
I rest my case.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 PM

2,163 posts, read 2,361,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I rest my case.
Now "rest" it in the umpteen other threads you've post on here with the same remarks. If you spent as much time perusing the local ordinances as you do this website you might not have a beef with the locals.

I sympathize with you, but not with your methodology for a solution.

BTW, for your information, I'm a transplant to this area too, but I have tried to assimilate.

Last edited by getatag; 08-06-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,270 times
Thumbs down No to Monroe

Situations like the one "imfree" shared are very common. Good comments that you are getting are from ones that are stuck there and try to rationalize their situation. Go North Young Man; Huntersville, Mooresville etc., I guarantee you'll like it better. This is from a 30-year veteran of the area that moved here from San Francisco, via NY and grew up in a small town in Minnesota; quite a mutt. If they won't accept me, they won't accept anyone.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:35 PM

25 posts, read 36,457 times
Hi, I know this is an old post but if any of you are still reading, please let me know how you are doing. My husband has a job offer in Monroe and I have mainly manufacturing experience and was wondering if there are any good factories in the area. I live in NY and I'm looking forward to nicer weather and less taxes. Thank you for any replies.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 PM

15 posts, read 29,921 times
We moved here 2 months ago and were told NOT to move to Monroe because it was considered Hickville. (Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just repeating here.) I have since found it to be very...rural. I grew up living on lots of land, away from it all and I like the bigger lots, too. Monroe just didn't seem to be what looked right to us. It has a lot of unsightly areas mixed in with the nice ones and you will have LOTS of time to look at them with all the traffic.
Again, personal opinion and the advice of friends who have lived here a good while. If it sounds too good to be true...

Old 03-19-2011, 12:07 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,443,150 times
Moved to Monroe from Somerset County, NJ, a little more than four years ago and have absolutely no regrets.

Monroe is charming for many reasons. Admittedly, it wouldn't be for everyone but no one place is.

A lot of the negative views expressed are not by people who have first hand knowledge of Monroe and their POV is limited to traffic along 74 or what they may have read or heard about the downtown area.

One big advantage of Monroe is, overall, it lacks all of the pretense that I've noticed in many parts of Union County, particularly with large communities of transplants.

My family and I have become a very integral part of our community, by choice, and we have been accepted. There are so many opportunities to get involved and truly know one's neighbors.

Monroe is a mixture of urban, suburban and rural. Not much is cookie cutter here, a good bit of racial and ethnic diversity, as well as natives mixed in with transplants.

It's actually nice that Monroe's appeal seems to be limited. I didn't move here to live in an environment that reminded me of home. The whole point of moving away was to experience something different.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 798 times
Default We need your current opinion

Hi whodaz

My wife and I are going to move to NC next month. We were thinking to move to Charlotte but now we are thinking to move to Monroe. I was searching to compare both cities and I found your questions and answers/opinion given to you. We are from Miami to and my wife loves North Carolina.
Please, I would like to know your opinion about that city (like/dislike) when you compare Miami with Monroe or Charlotte. Thank you in advance. Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodaz View Post
thanks so much everyone for all your responses! Yes, since my husband and I work at home we dont mind being a littel bit away...We both grew up in miami, florida and are use to homes with mostly small backyards..and neighbors really close.. soo we are looking forward to having 2 acres and lots of trees and space to explore...how far are all the common stores from monroe? [grocery stores, malls, walmarts, target..?] Also..in the 2 acre home we are planning to get we are going to build a little/medium warehouse [i'm in the process of starting out my own private cattery..] how's NC with permits for things like that in that area.. ?
One more thing, how are the people in monroe like? friendly? do most people in that area speak english? [somehow when moving from florida to newhampshire we managed to be close to an area where there are a lot of greek people and it sometimes feels like english is a minority there!]
Well thanks again everyone for your comments!

Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 798 times
Default We need your current opinion

Hi Whodaz

My wife and I are going to move to NC next month (we are from Miami, FL too).
I was searching on internet the opinions about Charlotte vs Monroe and I found your comments.
We would like to know your current opinion about Monroe city after being living there some years.
Also, we would like to know the best area to rent and if it is more affordable the apartments or houses.
Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodaz View Post
thanks so much everyone for all your responses! Yes, since my husband and I work at home we dont mind being a littel bit away...We both grew up in miami, florida and are use to homes with mostly small backyards..and neighbors really close.. soo we are looking forward to having 2 acres and lots of trees and space to explore...how far are all the common stores from monroe? [grocery stores, malls, walmarts, target..?] Also..in the 2 acre home we are planning to get we are going to build a little/medium warehouse [i'm in the process of starting out my own private cattery..] how's NC with permits for things like that in that area.. ?
One more thing, how are the people in monroe like? friendly? do most people in that area speak english? [somehow when moving from florida to newhampshire we managed to be close to an area where there are a lot of greek people and it sometimes feels like english is a minority there!]
Well thanks again everyone for your comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte