U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 6,379 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved to Charlotte in Fall 2017 and we currently live in Fourth Ward with our 3 month old baby boy. We both work in Uptown and are looking to move out of Uptown to settle down and possibly buy a house. However, we're having a bit of trouble finding a neighborhood that fits what we're looking for.

Things we want:
- A commute no longer than 30 minutes to Uptown
- A single family house or townhouse at or less than $350k
- Decent schools. Prefer him to be exposed to a mix of different types of people and economic classes.
- Reasonably safe area. We live Uptown and like it so we don't need perfection here, but I don't want to live somewhere that is high crime. We like going on walks and spending time outside the house.

From my limited searching, houses in areas that fit our criteria (e.g. Cotswold, Elizabeth, etc.) seem to be going for upwards of $500k, which is exorbitant to me. If that's the rule, I'm just going to plan on renting long term, but I wanted to get the advice of some people with more experience before giving up.

Especially looking for those "diamond in the rough" areas that aren't "cool" but provide affordability and a reasonable commute without being dangerous to live in.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 AM

21,867 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HimpyHoover View Post
My wife and I moved to Charlotte in Fall 2017 and we currently live in Fourth Ward with our 3 month old baby boy. We both work in Uptown and are looking to move out of Uptown to settle down and possibly buy a house. However, we're having a bit of trouble finding a neighborhood that fits what we're looking for.

Things we want:
- Decent schools. Prefer him to be exposed to a mix of different types of people and economic classes.
- Reasonably safe area. We live Uptown and like it so we don't need perfection here, but I don't want to live somewhere that is high crime. We like going on walks and spending time outside the house.

From my limited searching, houses in areas that fit our criteria (e.g. Cotswold, Elizabeth, etc.) seem to be going for upwards of $500k, which is exorbitant to me. If that's the rule, I'm just going to plan on renting long term, but I wanted to get the advice of some people with more experience before giving up.

Especially looking for those "diamond in the rough" areas that aren't "cool" but provide affordability and a reasonable commute without being dangerous to live in.

Thanks in advance.
Check out Belmont in Gaston County.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Check out Belmont in Gaston County.
Thanks for this idea. It does seem to check all the boxes. I'm surprised by this, what's the catch??

Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 AM

186 posts, read 215,182 times
The commute from downtown Charlotte at 5 pm on I-85 will be more than 30 minutes and on Wilkinson/74 likely also. Try that drive any afternoon and see what happens. Plus check Google maps for eta and add 5-10 minutes. If you can arrange a commute outside of standard rush hour it may satisfy your requirements.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
The commute from downtown Charlotte at 5 pm on I-85 will be more than 30 minutes and on Wilkinson/74 likely also. Try that drive any afternoon and see what happens. Plus check Google maps for eta and add 5-10 minutes. If you can arrange a commute outside of standard rush hour it may satisfy your requirements.

Good idea. I am thinking about trying a test commute this week to see if I could handle it. It does seem to me like the prices in Belmont are significantly below what I would be willing to pay. Does anything come to mind that pushes me closer to the $300-$350k range but shortens the commute?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM

311 posts, read 172,164 times
Quote:

Things we want:

Thanks in advance.
It's almost like you should find a realtor to present this question to.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Unless you're in an accident, it's about 30 minutes to uptown from most of Belmont, on Wilkinson.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for this idea. It does seem to check all the boxes. I'm surprised by this, what's the catch??
There is no catch. I live in Kings Mountain & have driven to doctor appointments at CMC Main during rush hour, going through Belmont. If you find a house in a far-flung part of Belmont it might be somewhat longer than 30 minutes.

There's a very rural area in Mecklenburg County, near Belmont. It will be developed in the next 20 years, but light rail will be in the area.

You'd be doing most of your shopping in Gastonia. Just drive west on Wilkinson. It's not far.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Good idea. I am thinking about trying a test commute this week to see if I could handle it. It does seem to me like the prices in Belmont are significantly below what I would be willing to pay. Does anything come to mind that pushes me closer to the $300-$350k range but shortens the commute?
The Jonas family has a restaurant in downtown Belmont.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There is no catch. I live in Kings Mountain & have driven to doctor appointments at CMC Main during rush hour, going through Belmont. If you find a house in a far-flung part of Belmont it might be somewhat longer than 30 minutes.

There's a very rural area in Mecklenburg County, near Belmont. It will be developed in the next 20 years, but light rail will be in the area.

You'd be doing most of your shopping in Gastonia. Just drive west on Wilkinson. It's not far.

I'm wondering about airplane noise. Some quick googling led me to some articles about Belmont residents complaining about this. I could definitely see that getting annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
It's almost like you should find a realtor to present this question to.
I'd prefer to ask people who don't stand to gain from influencing my decision.

Is there really nothing closer that is more expensive than Belmont (up to $350k) with decent schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or