Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,794,380 times

Advertisements

So, I attempted to go to the DMV to get my North Carolina Driver License and hopefully register my car and there was a sign on the door, saying "Computers Down, DMV Closed".. I spent a bunch of time getting all my papers ready and was so busy with my move that I had little time to even go there and was looking forward to getting it done. I then tried to call the DMV. After fighting through prompts for minutes, I finally get to a "Wait we are transferring you". However, immediately after thinking I was going to talk to a human I got the message stating "We are sorry, we have an unusually high call volume and cannot answer your call, Thank you and goodbye". I was infuriated and now at a loss as to how I will even get my driver license and registration. After talking to some people at local grocery store, they told me the DMVs can be brutal here and you can wait in a line without any chairs for hours and hours. I've never heard aof anything like this, but I guess that is the situation.

I've been doing some reading and told some DMVs are better than others. I'm totally open to driving to a small town within an hour or so if necessary and live up in the Lake Norman area. I've been told though to avoid the Mooresville DMV. Can anyone give me any suggestions of DMVs that have a number-based system, shorter waits and hopefully some chairs to sit in? Also, is there any way to possibly verify the DMV is not shut down. I'd hate to drive all the way to some small town, only to get a sign on the door that the DMV is closed. I wish they would at least up date a website or something.

I really like North Carolina, but this is probably the worst DMV I ever had to deal with in the four states I have lived. Is there any DMV in the greater Charlotte area or outer suburbs that fits any of the criteria or at least has shorter wait times? Also, can anyone advise on the best days and times to go to get your license? I am flexible right now as I work from home.

I appreciate people's inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 11:34 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,915,759 times
I have to renew my license by the 25th of August and I called at the end of June for an appointment. I tried the Huntersville location first and was told their first appointment was in September. I tried the Concord location and I have an appt for August 6th. My best advice is to make an appointment. Also make sure that you get a REAL ID. You will have to have one by 2020 in order to fly.

Also note that sometimes getting your license and getting your car registered requires you to go to two different places. The Huntersville location you can do both. The Concord location you cannot. The licensing of cars is not done by the state but by a 3rd party. If you have to do to a 3rd party location make sure you call that morning to make sure they are open as if they don't have enough staff they will close as well.

This is the hard part. Having to go in person to register for the first time. Any time after that you can renew tags online and you can also renew your DL online (provided you have no restrictions other than glasses/contact lenses.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:36 AM

324 posts, read 383,964 times
We have had excellent service at Lexington DMV. Walked in yesterday to get new plates and I was the only one in the building. I was in and out in 5 minutes! However, I would say this is not always the case.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,668,314 times
When we lived in Huntersville we went to Mooresville. Sorry to hear it has gone downhill.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
We have had excellent service at Lexington DMV. Walked in yesterday to get new plates and I was the only one in the building. I was in and out in 5 minutes! However, I would say this is not always the case.
I'm planning a trip to Winston-Salem and heard that Lexington is the BBQ capital of North Carolina. Even though I don't eat pork, I would like to see if I could find some type of nice authentic (or at least good quality) BBQish beef/chicken type of place in this town. I was planning on exploring North Carolina and seeing what the smaller cities/towns are like. So, maybe this can be my opportunity to also get my new driver license if that is possible. I understand registration may be separate and it is like that in Washington state as well. What really irritates (and worries) me is that I cannot just call the DMV and see if they are open or not. I guess if the HUntersville DMV is open then it would be a good sign the others are open, but who knows?

I am going to attempt to go to the Huntersville DMV on Monday and see if there is an atrocious wait. If not, I can bring my laptop and just hang out for as long as I need, as long as they have some chairs. I was reading the Huntersville DMV has chairs and number system like what I am use to in Oregon and Washington.

Any other DMV suggestions in Charlotte metro are welcomed. I am glad to hear renewing is easier, but that doesn't help me now..

I am also going to attempt to get a North Carolina Real ID. I have my SSN card and Birth Certificate with me. I'm hoping there is nothing else I need with respect to obtaining the Real ID..

Oh, another question, if anyone knows, do I have to re-take the driver written test to get a North Carolina license if I have one in another state? I know in Oregon it was real annoying as they required you to re-take the test every time you move back to Oregon. The Oregon test is also very, very challenging, unlike the Idaho one. I literally had to read the book 5 times and prepare for 3 days to pass the Oregon test which asks you tons of trick questions and is like studying for a science exam. The Idaho one was kind of a joke and I didn't hardly even need to read the book. I'm hoping the North Carolina one is not too hard if they do require you to take it.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:03 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,915,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I'm planning a trip to Winston-Salem and heard that Lexington is the BBQ capital of North Carolina. Even though I don't eat pork, I would like to see if I could find some type of nice authentic (or at least good quality) BBQish beef/chicken type of place in this town. I was planning on exploring North Carolina and seeing what the smaller cities/towns are like. So, maybe this can be my opportunity to also get my new driver license if that is possible. I understand registration may be separate and it is like that in Washington state as well. What really irritates (and worries) me is that I cannot just call the DMV and see if they are open or not. I guess if the HUntersville DMV is open then it would be a good sign the others are open, but who knows?

I am going to attempt to go to the Huntersville DMV on Monday and see if there is an atrocious wait. If not, I can bring my laptop and just hang out for as long as I need, as long as they have some chairs. I was reading the Huntersville DMV has chairs and number system like what I am use to in Oregon and Washington.

Any other DMV suggestions in Charlotte metro are welcomed. I am glad to hear renewing is easier, but that doesn't help me now..

I am also going to attempt to get a North Carolina Real ID. I have my SSN card and Birth Certificate with me. I'm hoping there is nothing else I need with respect to obtaining the Real ID..

Oh, another question, if anyone knows, do I have to re-take the driver written test to get a North Carolina license if I have one in another state? I know in Oregon it was real annoying as they required you to re-take the test every time you move back to Oregon. The Oregon test is also very, very challenging, unlike the Idaho one. I literally had to read the book 5 times and prepare for 3 days to pass the Oregon test which asks you tons of trick questions and is like studying for a science exam. The Idaho one was kind of a joke and I didn't hardly even need to read the book. I'm hoping the North Carolina one is not too hard if they do require you to take it.

When I moved here 12 years ago, I had to take the written test here. You need more than those two things to get a Real ID. You can find all the documents you need on the DMV website.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
When I moved here 12 years ago, I had to take the written test here. You need more than those two things to get a Real ID. You can find all the documents you need on the DMV website.
Ouch... Too bad, I guess I will have to see if I can find the book online.. Don't want to wait 5 hours just to be told I need to come back and read the book. I was reading on the website saying if you have an out of state driver license you "may" not need to take the test. I have no idea what that means as it is vague.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/help/movin...residents.aspx

As far as the Real ID, I didn't mean that I only have a birth certificate and SS Card. I have Washington Enhanced Driver license, a valid Idaho Concealed Handgun license with my picture, utility bill, change of address, etc.. I may also print out my lease, but it is 35 pages, so that will take some effort, but maybe it would be a good idea to bring it. I have my energy bill and a copy of my cable bill with my address. I also have my US Post Office change of address confirmation mail.

I just cannot figure out what else I could provide them..

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id...uirements.aspx

The website is pretty vague and would seem like I have would they would need..

Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,256,763 times
Quote:
Ouch... Too bad, I guess I will have to see if I can find the book online.. Don't want to wait 5 hours just to be told I need to come back and read the book. I was reading on the website saying if you have an out of state driver license you "may" not need to take the test. I have no idea what that means as it is vague.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/help/movin...residents.aspx

As far as the Real ID, I didn't mean that I only have a birth certificate and SS Card. I have Washington Enhanced Driver license, a valid Idaho Concealed Handgun license with my picture, utility bill, change of address, etc.. I may also print out my lease, but it is 35 pages, so that will take some effort, but maybe it would be a good idea to bring it. I have my energy bill and a copy of my cable bill with my address. I also have my US Post Office change of address confirmation mail.

I just cannot figure out what else I could provide them..

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/license-id...uirements.aspx

The website is pretty vague and would seem like I have would they would need..
According to that I don’t think the Post Office confirmation will work, but the electric and cable bills should.

BTW, supposedly it’s often better to not go on Monday or Friday.

DMV’s suck everywhere, this isn’t unique to Charlotte.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
According to that I don’t think the Post Office confirmation will work, but the electric and cable bills should.

BTW, supposedly it’s often better to not go on Monday or Friday.

DMV’s suck everywhere, this isn’t unique to Charlotte.
Yeah, I agree they all suck.. I remember I had to go to Skagit County in Washington ,because the wait times at the Whatcom county DMV were about 3 hours most of the time. Ironically, Bellevue DMV in King County (much larger urban area) I wait no longer than 30 minutes multiple times I went there. I guess I never been to a DMV that was closed for a day and I couldn't even call to get any information. I've heard horror stories of DMV in New York and Los Angeles, so I am sure they do get much worse. I guess Washington and Oregon have probably some of the better DMVs.. Although, I'd take 4 hour wait times compared to the $1000 I would have to pay to register my car each year in King, Snohomish or Pierce county (Seattle metro) in Washington state now.

Anyhow, I am suprised that something as official as a Change of Address mailed to my home by the Federal government would be considered less viable of a form of identification than a utility bill. However, to be safe, I was reading that bank statements are acceptable. My bank updated my new address before I left and my latest bank statement has my latest address. I'm hoping I could use that in addition to my utility bill. Unfortunately, most of my bills are electronic and my landlords are the ones who receive the bill for Water, Sewer , Garbage. I am also going to print out the first portion of my lease .. My cable bills are sent to employer (small family business). I hope they will accept printed copies rather than the actual mail. In the day of electronic billing, less people are even receiving paper bills anymore. The same goes for my lease, as it was an electronic lease as more and more people do not even sign paper leases anymore. I'm hoping the North Carolina DMV understands that more and more people are going paperless. I know in Washington I was able to show them my lease on my smartphone, would that work in North Carolina as well?

Oh yes, I also have local insurance office now for my auto and renters insurance with my current address.. I was hoping maybe that also could work as well.

If all that doesn't work I guess I will just accept my fate..

Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,256,763 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree they all suck.. I remember I had to go to Skagit County in Washington ,because the wait times at the Whatcom county DMV were about 3 hours most of the time. Ironically, Bellevue DMV in King County (much larger urban area) I wait no longer than 30 minutes multiple times I went there. I guess I never been to a DMV that was closed for a day and I couldn't even call to get any information. I've heard horror stories of DMV in New York and Los Angeles, so I am sure they do get much worse. I guess Washington and Oregon have probably some of the better DMVs.. Although, I'd take 4 hour wait times compared to the $1000 I would have to pay to register my car each year in King, Snohomish or Pierce county (Seattle metro) in Washington state now.

Anyhow, I am suprised that something as official as a Change of Address mailed to my home by the Federal government would be considered less viable of a form of identification than a utility bill. However, to be safe, I was reading that bank statements are acceptable. My bank updated my new address before I left and my latest bank statement has my latest address. I'm hoping I could use that in addition to my utility bill. Unfortunately, most of my bills are electronic and my landlords are the ones who receive the bill for Water, Sewer , Garbage. I am also going to print out the first portion of my lease .. My cable bills are sent to employer (small family business). I hope they will accept printed copies rather than the actual mail. In the day of electronic billing, less people are even receiving paper bills anymore. The same goes for my lease, as it was an electronic lease as more and more people do not even sign paper leases anymore. I'm hoping the North Carolina DMV understands that more and more people are going paperless. I know in Washington I was able to show them my lease on my smartphone, would that work in North Carolina as well?

Oh yes, I also have local insurance office now for my auto and renters insurance with my current address.. I was hoping maybe that also could work as well.

If all that doesn't work I guess I will just accept my fate..
The Change of Address form might work. But it's surprisingly easy to get one of those...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte