Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:40 AM

50 posts, read 197,853 times

Advertisements

Charlotte appears to be one massive city. I see alot of affordable 4/2.5 houses that have charlotte as their address. Can anyone tell me what areas/neighborhoods to stay away from? I want to stay clear of the run-down, the high-crime, and the chaotic. I don't mind older neighborhoods, especially if they have alot of trees, but I don't want to buy into something that is on the way down. I live in Tampa right now, and we supposedly have a lot of crime. Actually, our crime rates are almost exactly the same as Charlotte. Living here, I know that there are well-defined pockets were the majority of the crime is happening. Don't get me wrong...I lock my doors at night, but I don't walk around my neighborhood worried about getting mugged. For those "in the know" please give me the dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 09:42 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquackquack View Post
Charlotte appears to be one massive city. I see alot of affordable 4/2.5 houses that have charlotte as their address. Can anyone tell me what areas/neighborhoods to stay away from? I want to stay clear of the run-down, the high-crime, and the chaotic. I don't mind older neighborhoods, especially if they have alot of trees, but I don't want to buy into something that is on the way down. I live in Tampa right now, and we supposedly have a lot of crime. Actually, our crime rates are almost exactly the same as Charlotte. Living here, I know that there are well-defined pockets were the majority of the crime is happening. Don't get me wrong...I lock my doors at night, but I don't walk around my neighborhood worried about getting mugged. For those "in the know" please give me the dirt.

Please tell us your price range and I will try to help you

Old 12-13-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please tell us your price range and I will try to help you
Actually, I only put in the 125K to 175K range in realtor.com, and I saw a lot of 4/2 houses for around 150K. I'd like at least a .25 acre lot and some trees if possible. I make good money, but my wife is now a stay at home mom, and the drop from two incomes to one has really hurt us. I'd really like to go no higher than 180K if possible. Thanks for the help

Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Actually, I only put in the 125K to 175K range in realtor.com, and I saw a lot of 4/2 houses for around 150K. I'd like at least a .25 acre lot and some trees if possible. I make good money, but my wife is now a stay at home mom, and the drop from two incomes to one has really hurt us. I'd really like to go no higher than 180K if possible. Thanks for the help
Okay, one more question, what part of town will you be working in? In Charlotte the best plan is to live on the side of town you work in.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Okay, one more question, what part of town will you be working in? In Charlotte the best plan is to live on the side of town you work in.
Don't know yet. It will be a school system job and I won't know where I'll be working until I'm hired. I was hoping to have mulitple areas staked out so that based on where I do end up, I'll know which neighborhoods are best.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I would look at either N or S Charlotte....

Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Don't know yet. It will be a school system job and I won't know where I'll be working until I'm hired. I was hoping to have mulitple areas staked out so that based on where I do end up, I'll know which neighborhoods are best.
Just my opinion, and there could be an exception or two to this, BUT, $150,000 will not put you in the best of neighborhoods in south Charlotte. For the 150-175 range you would do better to look north of Charlotte in Huntersville or Concord. If you can stretch closer to $200,000 you could live in a nice neighborhood in south Charlotte (there are still a few around).

Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Just my opinion, and there could be an exception or two to this, BUT, $150,000 will not put you in the best of neighborhoods in south Charlotte. For the 150-175 range you would do better to look north of Charlotte in Huntersville or Concord. If you can stretch closer to $200,000 you could live in a nice neighborhood in south Charlotte (there are still a few around).
Thanks. I'm really finding it hard to decide between Charlotte and Raleigh. I've been monitoring the threads, and people seem pretty evenly split between the two in terms of which one is better. One statement I've read doesn't seem to make sense. Someone said that Raleigh is faster paced than Charlotte? Seems odd, since Charlotte has twice the population. Do you think that's the case? Maybe someone out there who has lived in both locations can give me their pros and cons.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'm really finding it hard to decide between Charlotte and Raleigh. I've been monitoring the threads, and people seem pretty evenly split between the two in terms of which one is better. One statement I've read doesn't seem to make sense. Someone said that Raleigh is faster paced than Charlotte? Seems odd, since Charlotte has twice the population. Do you think that's the case? Maybe someone out there who has lived in both locations can give me their pros and cons.

I'm torn here because if you are a teacher we desparately need good male teachers in Charlotte Mecklenburg. But, to be honest I have to say you would personally probably have a better teaching experience in Wake county schools. Unless of course, you like a challenge and feel called to work with a high minority population that really needs the help Our new school superintendent is just awesome, Peter Gorman. He is really whipping the schools into shape and lobbying for more to be built in the high growth areas where they are needed. He just announced his 100 day plan and his expectation that going forward EVERY child will read at grade level by 3rd grade.

As to your other question, Raleigh may be seen as a bit more fast paced because more singles locate there. Charlotte really is a family-oriented town, but of course, those of us with families LIKE it that way Charlotte offers so much more in terms of entertainment than Raleigh also. Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I'm torn here because if you are a teacher we desparately need good male teachers in Charlotte Mecklenburg. But, to be honest I have to say you would personally probably have a better teaching experience in Wake county schools. Unless of course, you like a challenge and feel called to work with a high minority population that really needs the help Our new school superintendent is just awesome, Peter Gorman. He is really whipping the schools into shape and lobbying for more to be built in the high growth areas where they are needed. He just announced his 100 day plan and his expectation that going forward EVERY child will read at grade level by 3rd grade.

As to your other question, Raleigh may be seen as a bit more fast paced because more singles locate there. Charlotte really is a family-oriented town, but of course, those of us with families LIKE it that way Charlotte offers so much more in terms of entertainment than Raleigh also. Good luck with your decision.
I'm a school psychologist and am used to working in poorer parts of town and with discipline-problem kids. So I'd be fine with whatever the Mecklenberg school system could throw at me. However, my wife is a teacher, and she might not want to go back to work if things are as bad as you say. Or maybe it will all be cleaned up by the time she goes back to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte