Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,515,274 times

Advertisements

So in this media frenzy town,in which *everything* gets reported, where is the charlotte.com article or the TV related story, particularly in a sleepy village like Wesley Chapel. This incident and the letter has been making rounds since last week last Wednesday and there's been no big media follow up? Even the guy at crimeincharlotte.com had to edit some stuff out on some of the responses.

Incidentally, I heard a variant of this story in that the carjacking took place in the Village of Wesley Chapel shopping parking lot (the same place of the Chinese Restaurant).

Also the whole Mexican gang initiation thing is soooooo played out, I really wish someone would have enough creativity to come up with another scare tactic that was more original. This is a variant of the Memphis,TN MS-13 initiations in which they were targeting black women in Target and Walmart parking lots.

Last edited by Miker2069; 03-31-2008 at 09:54 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Not sure but our HOA president said they talked to the head of the police today in SC and that this was true. The policemen in our neighborhood also agreed.

This was the e-mail.

Just to let you guys know what is being told at work this morning. A
lady who works here, cousin, is a detective in SC and they had gotten
info that one of the Mexican gangs is having initiation into their
gang this week or in the next couple of weeks. The initiation involves
running someone off the road or involving them in a bump up and then
when they get out of the car they are to shoot them. It is suppose to
happen in Union, Lancaster or Chester counties. So, I guess we really
have to watch every little detail. All of this is a little too close
to home.
I also heard the same thing from 2 different sherriff's so please do not ignore the warnings.

I was told if you are involved in an accident like this, drive to the nearest police station...Do not get out of your car.
MJ, it's one thing to be concerned when real events occur, but please be careful not to buy into hoax reports like this one. If this kind of information did not come from the exact person with first hand knowledge you must consider it suspect. These kinds of hoax rumors take on a life of their own and do a disservice to everyone. This one is just classic for a hoax and you reporting it like it is real is kind of irresponsbile.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: MS-13 Car Bump Initiation

Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times
this isnt a hoax, again our friends live in this persons development and it happens to be a neighbor of theirs...and my g/f called me the next day about it...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:09 PM

810 posts, read 2,282,048 times
Berry, I believe loves is refering to the Mexican gang as being a hoax and not the attempted car jacking on Will Plyer.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,375,650 times
I don't know if this is totally true, the only way is to verify it with sheriff dept. I read this story about a month ago via email. Sometimes, it gets pass around because we keep it going. The HOA may have received it via a homeowner and posted it for everyone perusual. I received so many variations of different stories that cause one to panic. Don't judge me, its just my belief--check with sheriff dept.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,515,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Berry, I believe loves is refering to the Mexican gang as being a hoax and not the attempted car jacking on Will Plyer.
I believe something *may* have happened, but I don't know that it happened this way. It's not adding up. I live in Wesley Chapel and have heard variants of this story. One variant was that it took places "moments ago" across the street in the Harris Teeter parking lot. It was a friend of a friend who happens to be an EMT with a CB who got wind of it.

Where's the police report, why wasn't this on the news- nothing escapes TV news around here so for something like this to happen in suburbia without a peep from a local media outlet causes me to raise an eyebrow.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Thank you yrgm, I WAS referring to the Mexican gang story - a classic hoax. Sure there are other real things happening, but it is important that this kind of stuff not be given any credibility (the proven hoax's).

Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I believe something *may* have happened, but I don't know that it happened this way. It's not adding up. I live in Wesley Chapel and have heard variants of this story. One variant was that it took places "moments ago" across the street in the Harris Teeter parking lot. It was a friend of a friend who happens to be an EMT with a CB who got wind of it.

Where's the police report, why wasn't this on the news- nothing escapes TV news around here so for something like this to happen in suburbia without a peep from a local media outlet causes me to raise an eyebrow.
Well, I am sure waiting to hear it reported on the news myself. Now the other story today, the one about the mother of twins coming home and meeting the theives in the driveway, that was reported on by Mark Becker earlier this evening.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,277,958 times
I guess either way you slice it or dice it its all very scary, and something needs to be done

Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,438,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I guess either way you slice it or dice it its all very scary, and something needs to be done
berry - I always read the crime section of the Neighbors of Union County part of the Observer. I've noticed that there seems to be a lot more breaking and enterings in the western part of the county. At the current rate of increase there will soon be more crime in Marvin, Waxhaw, and Weddington than there is in Monroe. A disturbing trend! I guess the robbers, like Willie Sutton, figured out what places are best to rob - where the money is! Perhaps in time, those areas will want to have their own Police Depts, rather than use the over-stretched Sheriff's dept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte