Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 6,882 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are relocating to Charlotte and have found a couple of homes that we really like in the Costwold area (Cotswold, Sherwood Forest and Stonehaven). Was hoping to get some thoughts on if this would be a good place for a young family (kids age 3 years and 6 months).

We are looking for a good central location, good schools and friendly neighbors who also have young children. Does this area fit the bill? What are the pros and cons of the area?

I noticed that some of the school assignments for these areas are really good and some are pretty bad, which surprised me since the houses we are looking at are within a mile or so of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 08:16 AM

751 posts, read 934,123 times
Cotswold is right along the border of a lot of school assignments. I'm not familiar with the specific details of the Elementaries there...but there was talk around combining a higher ranked elementary with a lower ranked elementary out there (one combined K-2 school & one combined 3-5 school). For High Schools, Myers Park HS is probably ranked a bit higher than East Meck HS but your kids would have the opportunity to thrive at either school without major red flags.

The area itself is great, if not a bit congested. The Harris Teeter there is very crowded, but they're about to open up a new Publix across the street which should relieve in-store congestion...though it might increase traffic on the streets.

A lot also depends on where you'd be working. It's a great location to be able to work Uptown without a horrific commute, but if you're working somewhere else, it may or may not be a good location.

Lastly, I'd strongly recommend considering renting for a year to get the lay of the land and neighborhoods. Charlotte has a hot Single Family Home rental market specifically because there are so many relocations. It'd ensure you're not trapped into an area you thought you'd like but ended up not enjoying...and would give you more buying power a year later (no contingency offer, more time to find the perfect home, etc).

Old 07-25-2018, 08:24 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
It is a pretty area and very desirable for a short commute to Uptown. I think Cotswold probably has the most young families of the group you are looking at.

School attendance boundaries in that area are relatively diverse for Charlotte across socioeconomic levels. There are extremely active parent groups at Cotswold Elementary and Rama Road Elementary. Note that this upcoming school year, Cotswold and Billingsville Elementary boundaries have merged. Students will attend the Billingsville campus K-2 and then the Cotswold campus 3rd - 5th grade. The schools will be under the leadership of Principal Alicia Hash and all students will be Cougars.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:06 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Cotswold and Billingsville Elementary boundaries have merged. Students will attend the Billingsville campus K-2 and then the Cotswold campus 3rd - 5th grade. The schools will be under the leadership of Principal Alicia Hash and all students will be Cougars.

For this reason, I'd only purchase here if I had one kid. Not sure if your family is complete yet, but I know someone that will be a parent at 4 schools in a single year. Not something than many will envy.

It's also important to know that if the Billingsville/Cotswold merge is successful Greer Heights will very rapidly appreciate and gentrify. If its unsuccessful then Cotswold suffers. This is a high risk high reward area to purchase into at the moment.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:51 PM

Thanks, everyone for the replies! Very helpful information, especially on the schools.

I wish that it were an option to rent for a year so we could get to know the city better. However, we have a big financial incentive to buy when we move due to our corporate relocation package. So, if we do end up picking the wrong spot and need to move in a couple of years it won't be the end of the world.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 AM

Where will you be working?

Old 07-26-2018, 08:50 AM

I will be working in Uptown and my husband will be going to Mount Holly.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayshaf View Post
I will be working in Uptown and my husband will be going to Mount Holly.
From that standpoint, Cotswold is a good location. Just research the recent changes to the Elementary schools so you're familiar with what's occurring there.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
You might consider the Beverly Woods Elementary zone as well. Not far from I-485 for Mt Holly (should be comparable to Cotswold for commute) and a little further to Uptown but not bad. Lots of houses at your $650k budget in neighborhoods like Montibello, Quail View, Bellingrath, Beverly Woods, and Sharon Hills.

Middle is Carmel and High is South Mecklenburg.

You could also look at Mountainbrook near South Park. Attends Sharon Elementary, Carmel Middle, Myers Park High. Woodbridge and Olde Providence North as well.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:35 AM

This is such helpful information. I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte