Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 06:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,936,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
Thanks for the post. Enlightenment is all it usually takes to help correct situations. I have traveled extensively throughout the world, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, most of Europe and most of the states in the US and fortunately it isn't a prevalent attitude everywhere we have traveled. BUT, the stupid insensitivity toward other govenrments that our government is now making is causing some 'backlash' toward our citizens. Last fall I was in AU and NZ and I found that almost 100% of the people changed their attitudes toward us when we verbalized that we didn't support the stupid decision regarding the war. Then, Katrina hit and that didn't help either. I could really see that reflected in the fast and curt, though courteous, response we got when Bush offered our assistance after the Typhoon hit the Cairns area (which is where we were when Katrina hit here). I could almost hear the 'how could we expect you to help us when you can't help your own people.'

I did experience some resentment in Canada once over the exchange rate which I thought was interesting. But overall I have had very nice encounters with Canadians. However, no one, absolutely can be nicer than the Japanese. They were marvelous and I was wondering how they would handle the Hiroshima Peace Memorial. They firmly fixed the blame on themselves for starting the attacks and went from there with factual information and tact. I was very impressed with them the entire time we were there.

Thanks, again.
Watch your politicking. The forum moderators are quick to lock threads that stray from North Carolina local issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2006, 12:01 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,687 times
Quote:
I am certain based on the post that you made to me that you will take this wrong, but you are the only one I have encountered with hostility. Take that for what it's worth which probably isn't much.
Carolina Girl,
I'm sorry but I think I need to make a statement in defense of jerseymom and all other Northerners that are looking to relocate. I believe jerseymom is merely responding to the fact that many NC natives perceive us to be rude and are expecting that what we have here is what we want in NC. I don't believe that to be the case, otherwise, why bother relocating? I grew up in NY all my life and it has, just as other areas, changed dramatically over the years. Personally, my family and I are looking to relocate to NC for a better quality of life, not just the affordability of housing, etc. We (my family) are not looking to change the way things are in NC. In fact, we are looking to adjust to it. If things are done at a slower pace in NC, then bring it on. If we can afford a larger home for our child, then that's just icing on the cake for us. Our main reason is for quality of life. And even though many are moving down to NC, the builders and developers are making way of acquiring as much land to build on for people to buy. If anything, that would make the economy even stronger. And I sincerely hope that I don't end up living next to a Northerner that expects things to be the way they are up here, because believe me, being a Northerner myself, I would have a few choice words for them. In my opinion, most of us are just looking to adjust to whatever way of life exists in NC. If anything, a different culture and atmosphere is what we are anxious to grasp upon. Again, just my feelings and opinion.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,743,796 times
mmdj43,
Thanks for that. You reinforced my point that anyone we've heard from on these threads really seems sincere in wanting to get away from what we're infamous for!

Old 05-08-2006, 07:43 PM

104 posts, read 573,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Watch your politicking. The forum moderators are quick to lock threads that stray from North Carolina local issues.
I take it you're red. I will assume you were intending to be nice with your warning.

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 05-08-2006 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 PM

104 posts, read 573,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Carolina Girl,
I'm sorry but I think I need to make a statement in defense of jerseymom and all other Northerners that are looking to relocate. I believe jerseymom is merely responding to the fact that many NC natives perceive us to be rude and are expecting that what we have here is what we want in NC. I don't believe that to be the case, otherwise, why bother relocating? I grew up in NY all my life and it has, just as other areas, changed dramatically over the years. Personally, my family and I are looking to relocate to NC for a better quality of life, not just the affordability of housing, etc. We (my family) are not looking to change the way things are in NC. In fact, we are looking to adjust to it. If things are done at a slower pace in NC, then bring it on. If we can afford a larger home for our child, then that's just icing on the cake for us. Our main reason is for quality of life. And even though many are moving down to NC, the builders and developers are making way of acquiring as much land to build on for people to buy. If anything, that would make the economy even stronger. And I sincerely hope that I don't end up living next to a Northerner that expects things to be the way they are up here, because believe me, being a Northerner myself, I would have a few choice words for them. In my opinion, most of us are just looking to adjust to whatever way of life exists in NC. If anything, a different culture and atmosphere is what we are anxious to grasp upon. Again, just my feelings and opinion.
First, I am basing my assessment of Jerseymom based on her extremely rude behavior to me on and others on another thread. I don't really need an intercessor.

You are very incorrect in your assessment of the gentility of those coming this way. I have been here seeing them get more and more rude for the last 30 years. The natives are beginning to wonder what sort of plague has befallen us. We are at home and we are simply tired of the demands. I hope you do what you ascribe to do.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:52 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,936,303 times
Quote:
I take it you're red.
Neither, no interest. Just tired of seeing good threads locked by the moderators due to forum rule violations. Do you understand?

From the Moderator on a previous thread that became political -

"Stop the discussion here, please. This is not a political forum. Any further messages will be strictly moderated or deleted and the thread closed."

"You can move your debate to our other forum if you are so inclined. The link is "http://www.americanforeignrelations.com/forum/"

Regards,

markablue

Last edited by mm34b; 05-08-2006 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-09-2006, 07:22 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,743,796 times
Default Can't we all just get along?

Well, Carolina Girl,
Can't change your opinion if you think I was rude to you.
And I'm quite certain I have never been rude to anyone on any other thread.

I think you maybe took what you wanted out of my post. Perhaps you are being defensive, as I said earlier. I"m sure I was also being defensive in trying to defend Sallyg, but I think it's all kind of silly. We're just trying to gather information and maybe cut through stereotypes.

I really feel hostility from you, actually. I have never (nor has anyone on these threads), put down your state or the people from your state, (the accent, the intelligence, so forth) and I was just trying to make the point that we, on the other hand take a lot of heat.

That's all. Nothing personal.

And by the way Sallyg, feel free to speak up anytime. Hmmph, typical NYer .

Old 05-10-2006, 09:06 AM

483 posts, read 1,563,687 times
Quote:
First, I am basing my assessment of Jerseymom based on her extremely rude behavior to me on and others on another thread. I don't really need an intercessor.

You are very incorrect in your assessment of the gentility of those coming this way. I have been here seeing them get more and more rude for the last 30 years. The natives are beginning to wonder what sort of plague has befallen us. We are at home and we are simply tired of the demands. I hope you do what you ascribe to do.
All I'm saying is that jerseymom was merely pointing out the fact that all Northerners are not the same. Therefore, my statement is not 'very incorrect' because the rudeness that you have unfortunately seen is not coming from every northerner. We don't like the idea that most of the apples are ruining the reputation for the entire bunch. That's all I'm saying. I don't want a native to judge me without knowing who I am or how well-mannered I am or not simply because of the fact that I moved from the North. This is not what I want to see nor is it something that I want to teach my children. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't expect to be judged wrong just because I'm relocating from up north.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 PM

8 posts, read 21,839 times
I'm new to this posting stuff, but am so interested in this infomation about Matthews NC. My famliy and I are moving this summer to NC from SoCal, we are trying to choose between Fort Mill, SC and Matthews, NC. I'm not worried about our assimilation to NC what I'm worried about is all the other transplants not trying to assimilate at all. That scares me. We want the change of pace, you will never hear us say...Well the way we did it in Cali...ick That's what we're trying to get away from. I don't want to upset any locals in anyway. I want to small town life. A community that gathers for the 4th of July or any town celebration and people know one another by name.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,456,325 times
I am probably as conservative as you can get and I am no means any fan of the current administration at this point of the game. Not that he is even any type of conservative. I am also a Christian, can't say a Church going one. I don't care what anyone's beliefs are. I don't push my views on anyone and I would feel confortable with liberals or whatever you are. People are people and if you want a spirited debate that fine too it's also fun at times. I think a lot of times conservatives get painted as intolerant but it works both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte