U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,448 times

Advertisements

I too am a Yankee transplant in NC and saved love Jesus and all. However I have found that the "bible belt" it mostly religion and not a way of life. As a matter of fact I have been on the phone all day long calling churches in the Charlotte area requesting a "Thanksgiving food basket" because I lost my job and just plainly in need of help to have some sort of Thanksgiving dinner for my daughter when she comes home from college. Would you believe in this wonderful "Bible Belt" not one church was able to help me!!! That says a lot for people who play church but don't live it. There is need to have some concern about the way "religion" life that is portrayed and not lived here.
Still looking and waiting on help from the ones who are commisioned to "feed the poor".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM

38 posts, read 62,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamleitzey View Post
As a matter of fact I have been on the phone all day long calling churches in the Charlotte area requesting a "Thanksgiving food basket" because I lost my job and just plainly in need of help to have some sort of Thanksgiving dinner for my daughter when she comes home from college. Would you believe in this wonderful "Bible Belt" not one church was able to help me!!! That says a lot for people who play church but don't live it. There is need to have some concern about the way "religion" life that is portrayed and not lived here.
Still looking and waiting on help from the ones who are commisioned to "feed the poor".
I won't even go there........

Old 11-09-2006, 03:16 PM

45,121 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Quote:
I too am a Yankee transplant in NC and saved love Jesus and all. However I have found that the "bible belt" it mostly religion and not a way of life. As a matter of fact I have been on the phone all day long calling churches in the Charlotte area requesting a "Thanksgiving food basket" because I lost my job and just plainly in need of help to have some sort of Thanksgiving dinner for my daughter when she comes home from college. Would you believe in this wonderful "Bible Belt" not one church was able to help me!!! That says a lot for people who play church but don't live it. There is need to have some concern about the way "religion" life that is portrayed and not lived here.
I am so sorry you are not finding the responses you had hoped for. Many, many people here in Charlotte care about our neighbors in need. The thing is though that most churches donate their funds for people in need around the holidays to the groups who provide these services, like the homeless shelter and Crisis Assistence Ministry - as opposed to individuals who come knocking on their doors.

Even when congregations collect items for and assemble Christmas baskets they take them to the social service agencies who have the names of families to distribute them too. This has proven to be a very efficient way to help the most amount of people. Several congregations do meals for the community at large for Christmas, which are very successful festive events. In addition, thousands of church members donate ten of thousands of man hours to cooking for and hosting over night those in need during the colder months through the Room In the Inn program. None of this impacts your particular situation, I know, but please believe there are many people here who care.

For now, try calling this church, they seem to be offering some help with Thanksgiving:
Calvary Church 5801 Pineville-Matthews Road Charlotte, N.C. 28226

Best of luck to you in being employed again real soon

Old 11-09-2006, 05:16 PM

3,572 posts, read 9,511,105 times
Quote:
lovesMountains: thousands of church members donate ten of thousands of man hours to cooking for and hosting over night those in need during the colder months through the Room In the Inn program. None of this impacts your particular situation, I know, but please believe there are many people here who care.
For now, try calling this church, they seem to be offering some help with Thanksgiving:
Calvary Church 5801 Pineville-Matthews Road Charlotte, N.C. 28226

per above from lovesmountains. Have you applied for unemployment benefits yet? Crisis Assistance Ministries? Salvation Army?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 PM

3,572 posts, read 9,511,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
My family and I have decided to move to Charlotte area from NYC. I have heard so much about the "bible Belt" and religious affiliation that I am concerned- neither my husband or I are Protestants- should I be concerned? If you are not a Christian- is Charlotte not the place for us? We are coming from the most diverse city in the world. We are certainly not churchgoers. Also- is there any sections of South Charlotte that are more "yankee" friendly than others- such as Ballantyne or Matthews? Any help would be great!

Land sakes alive! If the answer to: "Do you go to church?" is "no", the questioner will probably invite you and yours to his/hers and may even bring over a casserole (if you're lucky). End of story. I was (and still am) asked the question - sometimes I answer sometimes I don't. My ex is a Jew from Brooklyn - the answer about "church" is obvious, but that didn't stop anyone and he considered it the neighborly form of "20 questions" to try and get to know us. We got used to it and I find myself asking newbies some of the same things. Get over it. It's a great area - I raised and educated 3 children here - all of whom have undergrad / graduate degrees and (most important) jobs with benefits. Every new place has its differences - that's why many of us are here in G-d's country under a "Carolina Blue" sky. Be sweet.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 PM

13 posts, read 40,286 times
Sally,
You don't have to be concerned about religious affiliations. You will find people that go to church on a regular basis and that might want to share that part of their life with you. But if you tell them you don't care for it, they will let it be.
As for areas that are more "yankee" friendly than others, I don't think there is such thing. You might meet people that have an issue with where you are from, but for the most part no one will care unless they are from the same place .
Charlotte is a great city to live. We have people from all over the place.
Come and visit and see for yourself.

Let me know if I can help.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:44 AM

943 posts, read 157,553 times
I am trying to decide whether I want to retire in North Carolina, but truthfully, alot of these posts, make me feel like I would be a outcast. No offense, and none intended, but when I relocate to retire, and I am not elderly yet, late 50's, I want to know I was not going to be a victim of someones social issues to the point, I had to live in a shell. Yes North Carolina is the bible belt, and has strong points of view on several issues, gay being one of them, There is no reason for anyone from the south to be offended because a transplants asks questions about the fact it is the bible belt, the questions should be asked, after all one is moving miles from where they live. My question is: Why the hell should it matter if someone goes to church or does not go, or what ever they do, can't they all go to the NASCAR or some other activity and just be people and enjoy themselves. If there is a religion down there that teaches that I migh consider going to church otherwise Im not a churchgoer

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,139 times
Default Religion in the Charlotte area

I will be moving to Charlotte from the San Francisco Bay Area. I know in the South religion is more deeply rooted in people's daily lives compared to those in California. I was wondering how overt religion is in everyday life?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 AM

2,140 posts, read 762,632 times
Not like people think. You might get asked what church you belong to as it seems each church is always looking for new members.
There is a lot of social activity planned around your church mostly during evening's during the week. Once you settle in it's no big deal and you just follow your own lifestyle.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,343,766 times
I've lived in Charlotte 18 years and only twice have I been asked what church I go to. We are non-religious as are many of my friends. It's not been an issue. There are a lot of transplants from other parts of the country. Many areas of Charlotte don't even feel that southern anymore as it can be rare to actually meet a native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte