Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
When my kids were younger, they participated heavily in the YMCA programs. I did have a problem with the team prayers before athletic events. Obviously the Y has a right to do this since they are a Christian organization, however my complaint is that there are few opportunities for non-religious families to participate in sports without religion being brought into it. There is really no organization with the same breadth of opportunities as the Y. I know at least one family who refused to have their kids do Y soccer because of the prayers.
I have never understood why folks get so hyped up over people praying. I am respectful if a muslim throws down a rug and prays. I would hope everyone would be. I admire anyone who adheres to his religious principles. I also recognize that not everyone is religious. However, if others are praying and you don't want to pray, what is the big deal with that? Just meditate on your own mortality, say positive self-affirmations, WHATEVER, whilst others are praying. That seems reasonable to me.

Pulling kids out of sports b/c of prayer seems like teaching kids intolerance. I would certainly not leave a group I enjoyed participating with if the majority of participants were muslim, buddhist or even wiccan. I don't have to participate in their rituals or prayers to still respect their religious preferences, even if mine are totally different (or I have none at all). Doing so is called being respectful and fostering tolerance for differences in culture and religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,490,354 times
I'll just say that 2 formerly beautiful wooded areas within spitting distance of each other have been torn down and leveled to make room for 2 more churches. this is on my short 6 mile backroad commute to work, which used to be enjoyable.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,277,531 times
I am not getting hyped up by people praying - I don't care if people pray and am perfectly fine with watching people pray. My problem is a child feeling forced to pray herself because everyone else is doing it. If a child refuses to participate, I'm sure he/she would be mocked, so they don't (they "lie). Suffice it say, it's indoctrination. But I did not pull my kids out - though I did consider the JCC since at least it's a minority perspective. I accepted it, just was uneasy with it.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I'll just say that 2 formerly beautiful wooded areas within spitting distance of each other have been torn down and leveled to make room for 2 more churches. this is on my short 6 mile backroad commute to work, which used to be enjoyable.
It is hard to fathom that this area, with so many churches that date back to the 18th C, is growing with enrollments that fast that new buildings (not expansions) are being constructed. Not that I doubt your observations! Just so surprising to hear.

Eman - are these expansions (renovations, additions) or actually new churches? That is pretty wild to have 2 being built within a six mile stretch. Supposedly, donations to not for profit organizations are way down (according to the state NPF center - I just checked on this last month). Budgets are in the red all over, for nearly every NFP agency out there. I am really surprised that congregations have come up with the $$$ to build new churches at this time. Must have a lot of active, contributing members.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,490,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
...are these expansions (renovations, additions) or actually new churches?....
brand spankin new construction. I'm off today, I'll try and snap some pics.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,130,323 times
At one time (prior to Yahoo/Google maps) I needed to get directions from people on how to get to their homes. This happened several times a week. I was often surprised at how many people gave churches as landmarks, and assumed I would know where all of these were.

It happened last week when I went to pick up something I'd bought from a cl seller. He used two churches as points of reference, and I live only 5 minutes away from him.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I am not getting hyped up by people praying - I don't care if people pray and am perfectly fine with watching people pray. My problem is a child feeling forced to pray herself because everyone else is doing it. If a child refuses to participate, I'm sure he/she would be mocked, so they don't (they "lie). Suffice it say, it's indoctrination. But I did not pull my kids out - though I did consider the JCC since at least it's a minority perspective. I accepted it, just was uneasy with it.
I probably phrased things incorrectly so that it sounded like I was questioning you, specifically (should have used 3rd person - sorry, Burgher). I didn't mean you were affronted or pulled your kids out. I was just ruminating on my thoughts about public prayer (by different religious groups, not just Christians).

I guess my point should have been: teach a child to just bow his head respectfully and if he does not want to participate in the prayer as such, he can think his own thoughts. I don't see it as indoctrinating kids any more than anything else in this world indoctrinates kids. It can be a lesson in tolerance and respect for ideas that differ from one's own.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
brand spankin new construction. I'm off today, I'll try and snap some pics.
Wowzers - that is really amazing during these tough economic times. Outside of this area, I know that many churches are struggling to meet their budgets. People must be attending churches on a regular basis here (and donating $$$).

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Now, now . . . that really WAS rather condescending, Coped.

There really are a lot of people who do pray daily and don't hesitate to profess that to others. I don't know if it is insincere or not - I take people at their face value.

It is also part of the colloquial language of the south to use the word "pray" for emphasis - such as "I pray that they figure a way out of this" . . . meaning nothing more than "I so wish" . . .

Seeing as how some religions actually pray in public several times a day, I don't see why anyone should find it offensive behavior for Christians to discuss that they pray, too.
I grew up with "hope & pray" & "pray tell", in Michigan, Ani. I've aways understood that pray doesn't always mean the same thing. "I'll pray for you." did throw me, initially, until I realized that it was usually a response to "I'll keep my fingers crossed for you."

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I grew up with "hope & pray" & "pray tell", in Michigan, Ani. I've aways understood that pray doesn't always mean the same thing. "I'll pray for you." did throw me, initially, until I realized that it was usually a response to "I'll keep my fingers crossed for you."
Yes, it is a colloquial use of the word . . .

And as for the "blessed day" thing . . . that is just a way to say - I hope you have a day filled with blessings.

I don't understand why it bothers people so much about outward displays of ANY religion. Now, I AM bothered by street preachers standing on corners with placards they shove in my face - and having the peace disturbed w/ their sing songy voices over an intercom. But other than outward displays that make noise and disturb the peace, who cares . . . If someone is nice enough to ask me to attend their church, all I have to do is say - No thank you, but that was kind of you to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte