Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 PM

66 posts, read 36,586 times

Advertisements

Moved to Charlotte from eastern PA three months ago.
I found scrapple several places which was a surprise, but I have yet to find ring bologna anywhere.
Please let me know where I might find some.

https://www.berksfoods.com/retail-ring-bologna/

Thanks,
Shawn S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:02 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Hi Shawn: Forgive me that I've never heard of this (sorry- I'm not much of a bologna person), but if you look on their website, it says that Food Lion stores sell it.

https://www.berksfoods.com/retailer-locator/

Unlike the note about BJs Wholesale, Sam's Club and Wal Mart where it's only available in the PA, NJ, and MD stores, it doesn't specify store limitations for Food Lion, so I would assume you could find it at Food Lion stores in and around Charlotte, which are plentiful.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:13 PM

66 posts, read 36,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Hi Shawn: Forgive me that I've never heard of this (sorry- I'm not much of a bologna person), but if you look on their website, it says that Food Lion stores sell it.

it doesn't specify store limitations for Food Lion, so I would assume you could find it at Food Lion stores in and around Charlotte, which are plentiful.
No, I’ve checked about ten Food Lion’s and asked their customer service and only get blank stares of confusion about what it is

Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn S View Post
No, I’ve checked about ten Food Lion’s and asked their customer service and only get blank stares of confusion about what it is
Oh wow, that's a bummer. I wish I could give you another suggestion because I know how frustrating it is to hanker for a certain food product that you are wanting and not be able to find it. You can always order it from the website, but my guess is it would be considerably more expensive than buying it in the stores.

Maybe you could contact the Berks Company and let them know that despite their website you haven't been able to find this in Food Lions and see if there are specific stores that stock it. Or maybe go back to a Food Lion and ask to speak to the manager and see if they would consider stocking it, particularly in the Charlotte stores where there are more people who would likely be familiar with that product, versus some of their more rural NC stores. It's worth a try.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
I found scrapple several places which was a surprise, but I have yet to find ring bologna anywhere.

Thanks,
Shawn S
Is the scrapple made in Shelby? That's the only scrapple that I've seen. It's not the same as the MidAtlantic scrapple.

Call the Ingles stores closest to Charlotte about the ring balogna/baloney. they're in Dallas, Bessemer City, & Kings Mountain.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Unlike the note about BJs Wholesale, Sam's Club and Wal Mart where it's only available in the PA, NJ, and MD stores, it doesn't specify store limitations for Food Lion, so I would assume you could find it at Food Lion stores in and around Charlotte, which are plentiful.
Food Lion has stores in southern Delaware & Maryland.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:41 AM

573 posts, read 548,415 times
Quote:

Thanks,
Shawn S
The only time that I tried scrapple was when travelling to NYC and stopping at Port Jervis, N.j. at a truck-stop where it is said that you can get anything for breakfast that is served in the south. I though I would give it a try and ordered "livermush" or liver pudding whichever one prefers. The waitress told me, "We don't have livermuch but have the Yankee version of it. I told here to let me have it. I tried it and thought it was pretty good. I will eat it as a substitute for livermush but prefer livermuch as it has less disgusting body parts than its northern cousin scrapple. But, scrapple is sold at all grocers as far as I have seen. I have no idea what ring bologna is. I've been to Italy many times and was force fed bologna when I was a kid (can't stand it now), but where does the "ring" come from? Welcome to the area.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:17 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
The only time that I tried scrapple was when travelling to NYC and stopping at Port Jervis, N.j. at a truck-stop where it is said that you can get anything for breakfast that is served in the south. I though I would give it a try and ordered "livermush" or liver pudding whichever one prefers. The waitress told me, "We don't have livermuch but have the Yankee version of it. I told here to let me have it. I tried it and thought it was pretty good. I will eat it as a substitute for livermush but prefer livermuch as it has less disgusting body parts than its northern cousin scrapple. But, scrapple is sold at all grocers as far as I have seen. I have no idea what ring bologna is. I've been to Italy many times and was force fed bologna when I was a kid (can't stand it now), but where does the "ring" come from? Welcome to the area.
I just looked at the website, since I was curious. I think "ring" comes from the shape. It looks similar to kielbasa you could find in most grocery stores. Probably doesn't taste the same though.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM

573 posts, read 548,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I just looked at the website, since I was curious. I think "ring" comes from the shape. It looks similar to kielbasa you could find in most grocery stores. Probably doesn't taste the same though.
Thanks, I go through lots of kielbasa. By the way, I have seen scraple at Walmart in Denver (the real Denver in Lincoln Co. ). Pretty sure Harris Teeter has it and probably Publix.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:05 PM

155 posts, read 229,462 times
Harris Teeter has Lebanon bologna, that's the closest I have found here. Having my mom bring us some from Hershey PA in October can't wait!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte