Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:27 PM

39 posts, read 62,948 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a bit of reading since we are considering moving to Charlotte. When I read the local newspapers and news reports from the past two years, I am seeing several articles about copperhead snakes being out of control in the greater Charlotte suburban areas due to the housing boom (habitat being destroyed). One was a little disturbing and mentioned a man that opened a drawer in his garage to be bitten by three copperheads that were knotted in a ball in the drawer.

Basically, the picture that the articles are painting for me are that it is a huge problem there and something to be considered. We live in Tampa and there are snakes, but I see a snake maybe a few times a year overall. We are avid outdoor enthusiasts and come across a black snake, garter, or banded snake here and there. Rattlesnakes, Coral snakes, and other venomous snakes are very rare to see here. I let the dogs out in the backyard, rummage through the woodpile, and mow my lawn without issue all the time. Is it a bit different there in Charlotte and should I expect more frequent interaction with venomous snakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
25 years in metro Charlotte and I never seen a snake. Only when in a vehicle and they were crossing a road.

And I’m a very, very outdoorsy person. I’ve been in the snakiest habitats. I’m always out in the summer.

I’ve actually seen a snake in College Park, MD (DC) on the sidewalk and slither into someone’s yard near the college park metro station. And I seen a snake in Kentucky.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:36 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I've lived in Charlotte my entire life and have only seen a handful of snakes. I work in my yard daily and the only snakes I have seen in my yard were black snakes (2).

Old 08-21-2018, 04:35 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Google "Car accident Charlotte." You'll find way more results and are way more likely to be killed by a Chevrolet Silverado running a red light than getting bit by a snake.

The percent of NC bitten by a venemous snake each year is 00.002%.

Thousands enjoy the beautiful mountains, beaches, and more of NC with no issue.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:40 AM

So it sounds like the media blowing things out of proportion as usual, thanks!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo459sx View Post
I've been doing a bit of reading since we are considering moving to Charlotte. When I read the local newspapers and news reports from the past two years, I am seeing several articles about copperhead snakes being out of control in the greater Charlotte suburban areas due to the housing boom (habitat being destroyed). One was a little disturbing and mentioned a man that opened a drawer in his garage to be bitten by three copperheads that were knotted in a ball in the drawer.

Basically, the picture that the articles are painting for me are that it is a huge problem there and something to be considered. We live in Tampa and there are snakes, but I see a snake maybe a few times a year overall. We are avid outdoor enthusiasts and come across a black snake, garter, or banded snake here and there. Rattlesnakes, Coral snakes, and other venomous snakes are very rare to see here. I let the dogs out in the backyard, rummage through the woodpile, and mow my lawn without issue all the time. Is it a bit different there in Charlotte and should I expect more frequent interaction with venomous snakes?

Lived in Naples, Fl and since moving here a year ago we've seen 3 copperheads but never had issues with them really. The first one we were at a kids park in Pineville that had a lake. We were standing at the shore watching geese when it came up from the water right to nearly our feet. It was like one of those hulk situations where I picked up my 70lb child and threw her like a feather away from there. It had no fear and came right up. The next time we saw one sun bathing on rocks while at Freedom Park. The last time was in a patch of sun in the mulch in our backyard.My sisters husband actually hit on with the lawn mower which I thought was odd and I'm assuming it was sick or dying to not have moved.

I don't particularly worry about them being around but I do try and keep my eyes open if we are hiking in the parks and such... I lived on the edge of the Everglades in Fla so I saw snakes alllll the time. I'm not overly phased by them unless they get too close for comfort

Old 08-21-2018, 08:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
It is worth noting that if a snake is spotted in Charlotte - everyone thinks it's a copperhead. It is probably not.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:38 AM

570 posts, read 546,585 times
I have not seen these articles in the Disturber (Observer). I lived in florida for 14 years. I had a pool and in the summer, I was regularly pulling snakes our from the filter where they were stuck. Additionally, we regularly had diamond backs, coral, cottonmouths and all other types of snakes. Believe me, poisonous snakes should be the least of your worries. At worst, you may come across a harmless black snake. Don't kill them, they are harmless. You are more likely to come across black widow spiders. Opps!

Old 08-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Lived in Naples, Fl and since moving here a year ago we've seen 3 copperheads but never had issues with them really. The first one we were at a kids park in Pineville that had a lake. We were standing at the shore watching geese when it came up from the water right to nearly our feet. It was like one of those hulk situations where I picked up my 70lb child and threw her like a feather away from there. It had no fear and came right up. The next time we saw one sun bathing on rocks while at Freedom Park. The last time was in a patch of sun in the mulch in our backyard.My sisters husband actually hit on with the lawn mower which I thought was odd and I'm assuming it was sick or dying to not have moved.

I don't particularly worry about them being around but I do try and keep my eyes open if we are hiking in the parks and such... I lived on the edge of the Everglades in Fla so I saw snakes alllll the time. I'm not overly phased by them unless they get too close for comfort
Interesting. How do you like the weather up there versus back in Naples so far?

Derek

Old 08-21-2018, 06:49 PM

334 posts, read 290,416 times
I have garter snakes in my yard and a beautiful emerald snake that shows up every so often. He lives in a liriope border and sometimes hunts for bugs in the Rose of Sharon.

I've never seen a copperhead in my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte