Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 05:02 PM

5,424 posts, read 5,945,105 times

Advertisements

Without even looking at the numbers, it's apparent the redistricting discussion has focused on getting a balance in the existing schools with an eye toward the smaller towns establishing charters that encompasses students residing in their boundaries. Better to start now than to take a county-wide approach to it after the Charters come online. Small shifts now, small shifts later, avoid one big move totaling 20,000+ students, teachers, bus routes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:34 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,282,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Without even looking at the numbers, it's apparent the redistricting discussion has focused on getting a balance in the existing schools with an eye toward the smaller towns establishing charters that encompasses students residing in their boundaries. Better to start now than to take a county-wide approach to it after the Charters come online. Small shifts now, small shifts later, avoid one big move totaling 20,000+ students, teachers, bus routes, etc.
Some of the changes discussed could be pretty significant IMO, for example moving all of Mint Hill to Rocky River. Despite the school being in Mint Hill, I believe very little of Mint Hill is actually assigned there. Meanwhile they’re proposing moving Mint Hill out of Independence even though Independence is pretty much on the boundary line of Mint Hill (but not in it).

Old 08-29-2018, 08:14 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,051,681 times
I hate watching this unfold. A strong public school system is a huge asset for the community and something to contribute to and protect. We all should want CMS to succeed. CMS is an easy target for ridicule for its size and ambiguity and rarely is celebrated for its offering. It's not perfect, but it's a darn good system and one of the best in the country on many measures. CMS will suffer if it alienates and reduces the ring city attendee populations.

That said, their hand was forced in this act by the General Assembly's unwillingness to support public schools and allow charter programs to deplete funding and clear the path for succession from the system. CMS being portrayed as a bully here is misguided. They have to prepare for enrollment swings and they shouldn't be pawns in a community's desertion.

The blame game is a zero sum one. I hope that cooler heads can come together to realize that economies of scale make collaboration a better tactic than separation. I won't hold my breath though. SAD TO WATCH!

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 08-29-2018 at 08:25 PM..

Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,540,658 times
I think CMS is in big trouble here. The schools in the suburbs have been overlooked for too long and those parents are (rightly) sick of it. Huntersville and Cornelius just voted to study creating town charters. Matthews and Mint Hill are likely to follow. There is a lot of money in those areas and its going to be a big hit to CMS.

Too bad our school board members didn't see this coming. Instead of being fair across the county they have threatened themselves into a corner.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:45 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,928,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I think CMS is in big trouble here. The schools in the suburbs have been overlooked for too long and those parents are (rightly) sick of it. Huntersville and Cornelius just voted to study creating town charters. Matthews and Mint Hill are likely to follow. There is a lot of money in those areas and its going to be a big hit to CMS.

Too bad our school board members didn't see this coming. Instead of being fair across the county they have threatened themselves into a corner.
I thought the bill already passed allowing them to create their own town charters.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:50 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,540,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I thought the bill already passed allowing them to create their own town charters.
I believe the bill did pass but now it appears they are following through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte