U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 25,440 times

Advertisements

Hi -

We are planning to relocate to Charlotte from Brooklyn and will be in town for a pre-relocation visit next weekend. I was wondering if any locals or transplants from NYC have any advice to provide as in terms what to see/do and where to eat in Charlotte. We are a couple in our 30s and we have 2 pre-school aged children.

Also would appreciate any advice in terms of neighborhoods to visit so that we can check out real estate in those areas.

Our criteria would include great schools, proximity to Uptown (no more than 1/2 hour drive in rush hour traffic) and shopping/food areas. Are there any neighborhoods whereby walking to shopping or restaurants is actually possible?

Any advice that anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:55 AM

628 posts, read 1,858,298 times
What part of Brooklyn (I'm from Bay Ridge) Do you have jobs lined up? What kind of money are you looking to spend on a home? Do you have a vehicle? We need a bit more info to help you.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Brooklyn to Charlotte- more info

We live in Park Slope. I am currently applying to marketing jobs at BofA. My background is in marketing within financial services. Looking to spend around $500K on a house in Charlotte. We will need a house in the size of at least 4 bedrooms/2.5-3 baths (my parents will be moving with us as well).

Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 PM

And yes, we have a car. So getting around Charlotte will not be an issue.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,703,271 times
Not going to pay for Elliot anymore?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 PM

First off....the job market is tough so hopefully you will be able to find something.

As for location...at 500K you can pretty much live anywhere in the Charlotte area. Keep in mind though that Charlotte is nothing like NYC and you will not find anything like Park Slope. Charlotte is mostly a business district and surburbia. You need a vehicle to get everywhere! You can try down in the Ballantyne area and Blakeney. Again...it's more like LI and nothing like Brooklyn.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Ready for a change

We are ready for a change. We are sick and tired of how dirty the air/streets are here. We don't want our kids to grow up here. My husband is from New England and wants to move us to move somewhere where it would be beautiful but not as cold. Hence North Carolina.

BKLYNToCHRLT(sorry if I mis-spelt) What are your experiences like so far - having made the move yourself? How long ago was it?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:42 PM

My wife and I moved September of '06. We are also in our 30 but we have no children. We signed the contract with the builder and got our mortgage in order from NY. My wife is a portrait photographer and took a job offer from NY. She is now on her 3rd job. I moved down with no job and it took approx 3 months and at least 50 resumes to find one. I too am now on my third job since moving however this one is permanent. My wife will look to open her own business next year. Anyhow...the supermarkets hear are great! (do you shop at C-town on 9th Street?) but expensive. You do not have all those ethnic food choices and small restaurants in walking distance and the restaurants are probably a little more expensive. No more alternate side of the street parking and meters!!!! Also, I haven't had to dig out a parking spot in 2 years :-) . The weather is great!!! I love it here but my wife really misses the diversity, restaurants, and shopping. We do own a home and our mortgage is less than my rent! All thing said we both agree that it was the right move and we are both pretty happy here. It definitely is an adjustment if your not use to suburban life though.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Hey on you way down...can you stop at Grandma's Pizza 3rd Ave and Bay Ridge Parkway and pick up a few pies for me ????

Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,483,843 times
what do you like to do for recreation? With your price range and 30 mins to Charlotte opens up a lot of the market. If you were looking around Hunterville/Cornelius/Davidson etc N. Charlotte I would look into Birkdale,Northstone,Centennial,Vermillion,Skybrook ,Highland Creek,The Hamptons, Monteith Park etc etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or