U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,312,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I look around and am very conscious of the possibility for criminal activity all the times, every day, no matter where I go - whether here at home or in NYC, ATL, DC. CHI, LA, etc. I was just raised that way and I developed these habits of behavior so I will be consistent in the way I relate to the world. I am no more or less conscious of my environment while using the metro in DC at night, for example, than I am shopping at my local Harris Teeter. I assume that most crime (other than domestic) is going to be a crime of opportunity, no matter where I am.

My attitude does not deter me from going where I need to go nor is it "paranoia" - it is so ingrained, I don't really "think" about it. I just have very well developed routines and always stick to them.

These are small things, but I think so many of us have gotten too comfortable assuming that suburban life is always "safe."

For example. Here is a habit I developed when I had a baby. I had to think about his safety as well as mine. A woman w/ a child is always vulnerable.
When I pull into my driveway, I stop the car at the entrance and look around just to make sure everything looks "in order" w/ my windows/doors. I open the garage door. I look to make sure the door from the garage to the house is not standing open or ajar. I drive in w/ my doors locked. I keep my eye on the rearview mirror as the garage door lowers to make sure no one has sneaked in under the door (this happened in my community - a man sneaked in under the garage door as it was closing and attacked a woman w/ a baby). I do not open my car doors (or even unlock them) until I am certain that garage door is shut and no one else is in the garage. I then look at the door to my house to make sure it is definitely secure.

I have a fob that is on my keychain that activates the house alarm w/ a touch of a button. Many of us also have that same type panic button for our car's alarm . . . I put that in my hand, even tho I am about to disarm the alarm when I step into the house.

Where you take it from there depends on whether or not you have children in the car. You make a rule that no one gets out of the car until you tell them they can.

These behaviors are now just routine for me. I have told other moms about my routines and some are like - dear me, if I had to think about all that - how can I constantly be on guard, etc. etc. Well, if you just make it a routine, like brushing your teeth, you dont even have to really "think" about it after while.

My point is . . . crime can happen anywhere. Lower your risks of being someone's victim by incorporating routines into your life so that you do not let your guard down - anywhere, at any time.

If that means I am constantly "looking over my shoulder," then perhaps that is an accurate depiction. To me, I feel very "in control" of my environment, so my routines and habits make me feel secure and in charge - not victimized or frightened.

<hope that makes sense>
What kind of way is this too live. This does not sound like the kind of life I want. This is very sad to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,722,506 times
I guess I live in my own little bubble. Crime doesn't enter my mind alot. Don't get me wrong...I am always aware of people and my surroundings. Comes from living in NY, DC & ATL.

I guess because we live in a gated building Uptown and we have never had a break in anywhere in our building and there is a CMPD Police Substation right here...I don't think alot about crime.

But all you have to do is turn on the TV and BAM...it is in your face everyday!

Best advice is don't watch the news, believe and trust in the higher power, be aware of your surroundings at all times and live your life!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 14 days ago)

5,621 posts, read 6,703,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I guess I live in my own little bubble. Crime doesn't enter my mind alot. Don't get me wrong...I am always aware of people and my surroundings. Comes from living in NY, DC & ATL.

I guess because we live in a gated building Uptown and we have never had a break in anywhere in our building and there is a CMPD Police Substation right here...I don't think alot about crime.

But all you have to do is turn on the TV and BAM...it is in your face everyday!

Best advice is don't watch the news, believe and trust in the higher power, be aware of your surroundings at all times and live your life!
7 - It seems from watching the news that their motto is:

"A Break-In A Day Keeps Low Ratings Away!"

Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,291,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
7 - It seems from watching the news that their motto is:

"A Break-In A Day Keeps Low Ratings Away!"

These days that quote is just about as useful as "If it bleeds it leads".... and that's not very. I refuse to subscribe to the belief of, "If I don't know about it, it never happened" when it comes to stuff like this.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
What kind of way is this too live. This does not sound like the kind of life I want. This is very sad to me.
Oh, my, didn't mean to make you feel sad, SSD! I just don't take chances. I have been the victim of crime - when I was in college. I feel in control and strong when I am being cautious. My family says I am a "contingency planner," so it is probably part of my personality to always have a plan. I just follow my lifelong routines . . . some things we can't plan for such as car accidents and sickness . . . but the rest - I try to avoid problems upfront.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:00 PM

672 posts, read 1,648,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
been here a year and if I saw them honestly no I don't think we would have come.

Like I said before our realtor who has lived here her whole llife warned us that there is more suburb crime then probalby what we are use to but I guess we didn't really investigate it enough and the increase really seems to be the past 8 months.

We bought our house on whim and figured if we didn't like it we would move on in a few years no big deal.
Yeah MJ, I second that, if we had seen these stats or known about the level of crime here and the lack of control over it, we too would not have moved here.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM

672 posts, read 1,648,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
These days that quote is just about as useful as "If it bleeds it leads".... and that's not very. I refuse to subscribe to the belief of, "If I don't know about it, it never happened" when it comes to stuff like this.
Exactly, and here it seems as though too many things bleed, and they don't all lead, b/c when viewing the cmpd site we see just how many crimes happen that don't make the news.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM

175 posts, read 495,514 times
I know that crime here is high. However, these stats look outrageous. I really don't care what the stats are because life here in Charlotte is fabulous and the people are wonderful and life is good!! I guess good spots attract crime and we must all work together to make this area safer.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:12 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,205,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2008 View Post
I know that crime here is high. However, these stats look outrageous. I really don't care what the stats are because life here in Charlotte is fabulous and the people are wonderful and life is good!! I guess good spots attract crime and we must all work together to make this area safer.
Exactly. This has been my thought - the criminals have found us and they like what they see. We have attracted them by virtue of merely trying to live "the good life." So now we must do what is necessary to discourage them from disturbing our lives and welfare.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:17 PM

21 posts, read 106,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Crime Rates Compared to National Average
The National Average is designated 100%. A value of 200% represents twice as much risk while a value of 50% represents half as much risk.

Matthews, Nc
Total Crime Risk 76%
Total Crime Risk (County) 180%
Personal Crime Risk (County) 164%
Murder Risk (County) 121%
Rape Risk (County) 118%
Robbery Risk 227%
Assault Risk (County) 201%
Property Risk (County) 166%
Burglary Risk (County) 191%
Larceny Risk (County) 166%
Motor Vehicle Theft Risk (County) 127%

Weddington, nc
Total Crime Risk 39%
Total Crime Risk (County) 180%
Personal Crime Risk (County) 164%
Murder Risk (County) 121%
Rape Risk (County) 118%
Robbery Risk 227%
Assault Risk (County) 201%
Property Risk (County) 166%
Burglary Risk (County) 191%
Larceny Risk (County) 166%
Motor Vehicle Theft Risk (County) 127%
Maybe I missed it someone else saying it, but to take these stats as a representation of the community youre searching for is a major flaw in the analysis. Counties are big, you can't take the COUNTY stats and compare them with a small CITY. The only meaningful stat above to someone moving to Matthews or Weddington is Matthews = 76% (below natl average) and Weddington = 39% (well below natl average). There are probably places in certain parts of Mecklenburg where the rate is 1000%, skewing those numbers up. But that shouldn't deter someone from living in a safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte