Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM

12 posts, read 40,880 times

Advertisements

you can goto: The North Carolina Court System Home Page to find out who is waiting on a court date for a minor traffic violation on up to a major felony.

Then you can goto NC DOC Public Information System to find out on someone's criminal history. These are only crimes where someone is either convicted and receive jail time or probation. I am not sure how you find out about the dropped cases, etc.

It is crazy. There are really some career criminals out there, and they know how to work the system for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,821 times
Default Oh yeah

Well Charltote mag ran some greay artilces last year on crime and nothing was ever said after that. I was really surprised it wasn't addressed more then considering that is a big publication for this area. But the cops said how they arrested people and three hrs. later they would be back on the street and would be arrested again and then let go. Of course this people keep doing it they know they can get away with anything.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,665,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan R View Post
Is the revolving door idea actually true in Charlotte today? In general, criminals serve much longer sentences today than in years past, and the options for parole or suspended sentence are greatly reduced. That's why over 1 in 100 Americans is in prison today. It's not because an increase in crime overall, it's because the sentences are longer, so there are more people in prison at once. In NC, the prison population increased 26% in just two years, from 1/1/06 to 1/1/08. See this article for some info. 1 in 100 adults now in prison -- Drug Trafficking, Maryland, Martin O'Malley -- baltimoresun.com (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.prisons29feb29,0,5560520,full.story - broken link)

What I don't know is how this plays out here in Charlotte. Are prisoners given shorter sentences here? Are prosecutors more likely to plead out criminals for shorter sentences? I'm asking because I think it's easy to just say that there's a revolving door, but I also think it's important to connect that with what's actually happening here if you want to discuss making changes or influencing policy.
Plan R, this should help answer some of your questions: Tara Servatius | Mecklenburg County Courts Hall of Shame (http://tara.wbt.com/page.cfm;jsessionid=2a30520a61d74be351003d2e50664c 21d462?ID=1 - broken link)

Yes, there is a revolving door here, in addition to many other issues including jail space, lack of prosecutors, liberal judges, a financially irresponsible city council, and a stretched law enforcement.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,717 times
Maybe when Charlotte is listed in a national poll about its crime problem, then people will see the light. No one wants that to happen of course, but if it truely is that big of a problem then sooner or later something is going to happen that grabs some public attention in a big way.

And MJ ... I'm usually one of those to just brush off the crime talk and chalk it up to being 'normal in a city'. But really I am starting to come around and take notice. I love Charlotte and I want it to remain a great place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
Well Charltote mag ran some greay artilces last year on crime and nothing was ever said after that. I was really surprised it wasn't addressed more then considering that is a big publication for this area. But the cops said how they arrested people and three hrs. later they would be back on the street and would be arrested again and then let go. Of course this people keep doing it they know they can get away with anything.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Default pink

I know...and I am on the reverse side..always worried but I feel calmer now knowing that people are starting to realize this is a big issue. I am just sacred when I have to go to banks now or these shopping centers.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
Maybe when Charlotte is listed in a national poll about its crime problem, then people will see the light. No one wants that to happen of course, but if it truely is that big of a problem then sooner or later something is going to happen that grabs some public attention in a big way.

And MJ ... I'm usually one of those to just brush off the crime talk and chalk it up to being 'normal in a city'. But really I am starting to come around and take notice. I love Charlotte and I want it to remain a great place to live.
That would be a bad list to be on because it seems cities that are on that list have been on that list forever and do not loose that stigma.
I just hope we all are register to vote for the primary and elect people who will make a change. Even for those posistions on the ballot we have no clue what they do . It time to find out who they are and what they plan to do. from local to state posistions since most of the court system is state run.
Deadline to register to vote (THIS INCLUDES NEWCOMERS) IS April 11th

News stations should be focusing on those who plan to bring change and letting us know about it.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That would be a bad list to be on because it seems cities that are on that list have been on that list forever and do not loose that stigma.
I just hope we all are register to vote for the primary and elect people who will make a change. Even for those posistions on the ballot we have no clue what they do . It time to find out who they are and what they plan to do. from local to state posistions since most of the court system is state run.
Deadline to register to vote (THIS INCLUDES NEWCOMERS) IS April 11th

News stations should be focusing on those who plan to bring change and letting us know about it.
I agree wholeheartedly. We need to know who takes what stand on issues. I think the League of Women Voters is an excellent source for this info. I hope news stations will step up and give us more insight on where candidates stand.

Intelligent voting is so important and I know I have to work hard to get info to help me make those decisions. Maybe we should write to our news stations and ask them to be more proactive. I think there is some regulation that states you have to give equal time to all candidates if you run stories.

Here is link to League of Women Voters, so we can all become more informed:

League of Women Voters of Charlotte-Mecklenburg

Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,674 times
Default FAQ about voting in Union County, NC

http://www.co.union.nc.us/LinkClick....id=171&mid=979

Note that there will be an early voting location in the Marvin area this year. Early voting begins on April 24 (10 AM - 6 PM weekdays and 9 AM - 1 PM Saturdays - closed Sundays) through May 3. Location is the VFD off New Town Rd (near where the bridge is out). You can't get there from Providence Rd. You'll have to enter from the Crane Rd side (unless the bridge is finished early).

Old 04-03-2008, 03:43 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,740 times
Would these judges be so lenient if they were the ones who were the victims????

Old 04-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Default ther..

That is exactly what I am thinking...I highly doubt it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte