Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

The first question I would ask is "are you interested in taking care of your landscaping, or do you want to pay someone to do it?

If you want to do it yourself, get yourself a good self propelled lawnmower from Sears or a Big box store. Talk to the associates there for advice. Fertilizing is easy. You need a decent scotts broadcast spreader and fertilize 4 times a year (which is what I do). It would also be a good idea to put down lyme (typically clay soils have low pH levels and lyme will "sweeten" them up encouraging good growth.)

If you don't, look at scotts service, chemlawn, or like Sunny said, there's kids prob in your neighborhood who would do it for some cash....

good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenyc View Post
I just recently purchased my first new home. Its a corner lot on 1/3 of an acre. I have alot of lawn. I am from Brooklyn I have never cut the grass in my life and I also do not know what ineed to do concerning fertilizer and seeds. If any one has any advice on lawn care please let me know.
I just had a house built in Cornelius. I don't want any grass in the small area that is considered as my yard (probably 15 feet between houses). My wife and I are coming up from Florida this weekend to lay cedar chips to disable grass from growing. Of course we will have bushes and landscaping that will be very low maintenance. But, to answer your question, go to Lowes or Home Depot and they will advise you on the fertilizers and weed eating spreads that will make your lawn healthy and beautiful. Lawns can be fun, but my wife and I are away a couple of months every year and are unable to keep up a lawn.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Have people begun converting lawns into water-wise plants? That's very popular in Utah but I don't know if there are water-wise plants for the Carolinas? Seems like native plants would be the ones that like the frequent rains that used to be. This is something I've thought about a lot as I will be moving there sometime later this year.
Yes...there are many! We've had quite a climate change over the past 20 years as far as our winters...they aren't nearly as cold as they once were.

Drought-Tolerant Plants for North Carolina Landscapes AG 508-3

Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Determine what type of lawn you have (probably fescue) then check out the maintenance calendar on the NC State Turf Website. They are the turf gurus and their is a plethora of valuable info on the site. Good Luck!

TurfFiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte