Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times

Advertisements

Wells Fargo has many of its employees in the Ballantyne area and the University area as well -- definitely check as to where your office would be to be able to assess your potential commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSense View Post
I would be working in the vicinity of Wells Fargo and other big financial institutions. So I assume downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Wells Fargo has many of its employees in the Ballantyne area and the University area as well -- definitely check as to where your office would be to be able to assess your potential commute.
I thought the same thing you did SC&U, but then re-read the OP's later post that said near Wells AND OTHER BIG FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.
That's makes it less likely to be out of the downtown area.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltpro View Post
Best public schools ? Depends on what you identify as "best" . We have friends which moved into a very expensive home in a very exclusive neighborhood with "best" schools and her kid was bullied so badly their house is now on the market and moving back our way . Most of these "best" public schools are in areas where the kids have zero parenting and are raised free range which most often mean lots of small problems and in todays political climate the teachers do not dare say or do much in fear of being labeled or fired .

Affordable real estate ? Depends on what you call affordable .

Depending on your budget you may have just a few choices . 1 ) you find an "affordable" house in near great schools , you house will most likely not be what you want . Affordable housing in those areas will be small and may limit you , but if you're okay with a townhome you'll be fine . 2 ) You can find yourself a nicer bigger house for less and use the money you saved to send you kids to a private school thus giving them the best school .

We have one kid in middle school and one about to go in kindergarten next year . We live in the right on the county line for charlotte and harrisburg . That area places you with 10 mins of a major shopping area and 20mins to downtown ( or uptown as they call it here ) .
My children attend one of those best schools and not only were they not bullied, but they also didn't see any. They have all been involved in community activities and projects, as have their friends.

My POINT is that just because this one thing happened to this one child at this one school, does NOT make it the norm.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:41 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
OP, do you have any wiggle room with your commute times? My husband goes in early and leaves early to avoid the heavy traffic times. He also works from home 3 days per week right now too, but hasn't always been able to do that.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:39 PM

30 posts, read 29,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
OP, do you have any wiggle room with your commute times? My husband goes in early and leaves early to avoid the heavy traffic times. He also works from home 3 days per week right now too, but hasn't always been able to do that.

Is the traffic really bad in Charlotte? Is it an important factor that should be considered?
We're spoiled with 15 minute commute to the office.

But to me the quality of education is more important than commute so I'm OK with extra commute as long as my child is in the best school.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:42 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Is the traffic really bad in Charlotte? Is it an important factor that should be considered?

But to me the quality of education is more important than commute so I'm OK with extra commute as long as my child is in the best school.
Yes, rush hour traffic is bad. Its a large, spread out area. There are good schools in many different locations (and there is no "best" school), so its wise to determine your work location and then pick a house/school based on that. There's no point in signing up for an hour long commute if you don't have to.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:40 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:

Yes. Traffic is bad and getting worse. I am amazed at people that move to 'Charlotte' only to spend 30-45 minutes each way traveling to work. That adds up to an extra work-day every week just in travel time.

Don't believe the people that tell you their commute is only 15 minutes. Try it for yourself before you make a decision.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:57 AM

751 posts, read 934,989 times
The "best" school is a broad term. What does that mean? That 80% of the kids will end up in Ivy Leagues?...that 80% will go to college?...that 80% will graduate high school? There is a large variety of schools in this area where your child will have control of their destiny with regards to colleges based on their aptitude and output.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I thought the same thing you did SC&U, but then re-read the OP's later post that said near Wells AND OTHER BIG FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.
That's makes it less likely to be out of the downtown area.
Vicinity is a relative term. It would be best to confirm work location before deciding on where to search for a house.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Yes. Traffic is bad and getting worse. I am amazed at people that move to 'Charlotte' only to spend 30-45 minutes each way traveling to work. That adds up to an extra work-day every week just in travel time.

Don't believe the people that tell you their commute is only 15 minutes. Try it for yourself before you make a decision.
Try that commute in rush hour. What can be 15-20 minutes on a Sunday afternoon could be 45-60 minutes at peak hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte