Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 PM

431 posts, read 1,663,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I think in the area where you are, late '06 / early '07 was the turning point. People don't like to hear it, but to me homes did not appreciate in '07 IMO. The numbers were skewed from the McMansions that were built over the past 1-3 years. Of course this will drive sold prices UP for the short term....
until they (builders) start building smaller homes and construction slows for a good period of time. But you and I have seen it in what builders are offering today vs. 1-2 years ago.....
Totally agree about 07, which is one of my main points for these ridiculous assessments. I am convinced that since 2006, my housing market has depreciated, thats an easy one. How much? Not entirely certain, but 10% is not out of the question. Union County Tax Assessors think otherwise. I hope they can prove it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,186,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Totally agree about 07, which is one of my main points for these ridiculous assessments. I am convinced that since 2006, my housing market has depreciated, thats an easy one. How much? Not entirely certain, but 10% is not out of the question. Union County Tax Assessors think otherwise. I hope they can prove it to me.
I hate to say it . . . but I honestly doubt you will get anywhere w/ an appeal.

We went through the same thing w/ our previous home. Everyone was terribly upset b/c the assessments skyrocketed. But you know . . . after five years . . . the valuation was on target. Are you planning to stay there?

You might as well start working on a rationale wh/ leads you to an acceptance of the assessment!!! (I don't have much faith in anyone's ability to fight City Hall on these matters).

How much will this add to your tax bill?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I hate to say it . . . but I honestly doubt you will get anywhere w/ an appeal.

We went through the same thing w/ our previous home. Everyone was terribly upset b/c the assessments skyrocketed. But you know . . . after five years . . . the valuation was on target. Are you planning to stay there?

You might as well start working on a rationale wh/ leads you to an acceptance of the assessment!!! (I don't have much faith in anyone's ability to fight City Hall on these matters).

How much will this add to your tax bill?
We love it here and have no plans whatsoever in ever leaving. How often do they re-assess your homes?

Youre probably right about the city hall stuff. It just burns me up tho and I have plenty of free time to fight it.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,186,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
We love it here and have no plans whatsoever in ever leaving. How often do they re-assess your homes?

Youre probably right about the city hall stuff. It just burns me up tho and I have plenty of free time to fight it.
Heck, why not fight it then! Sometimes, sheer tenacity makes the difference!

You know, I had looked up info on UC tax assessment for someone else . . . and I may be wrong but seems I read that by statute, assessments can be done every four years . . . but that doesn't mean they absolutely will do a re-assessment in another four years . . . if I find that link, I will post it.

My personal opinion is that real estate in many subdivisions in UC was selling for about 8-10% overall more than it should have in 2005/6/7. There will be plenty who disagree w/ me, I am sure, but I felt prices were inflated. I was seeing $450,000 houses that I personally thought should have been priced closer to $415,000. Seemed to me a lot of homes above $400,000 were overpriced. I was not looking closely at the market above $700,000 so not sure about those homes.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 AM

I felt extremely comfortable and confident in the price of my home when I purchased it in 06. Unfortunately since then, the nation has had a major real estate correction which has directly affected our market, as evident by current sales prices. Its virtually impossible for a home purchased in 06 to appreciate, while a home bought in late 07 or even 08 to depreciate in these markets, and thats what the assessors are claiming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: