Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 35,868 times

Advertisements

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I like the no solicitation ordinance that Anafani posted from the Lenexa, Kansas City Code. We do not knock on doors of people who have "No Trespassing" on the property. We do not consider ourselves soliciters because we are not "selling" anything...just sharing a message we believe is vital to hear. But we respect people's right to not want to hear what we have to say. We have challenged the Green River Ordinance and won. The Lenexa Kansas Code makes the no solicitation a personal issue. However, no ordinance is going to keep criminals out of neighborhoods. No "sign" keeps burglars or "bad" people out of neighborhoods. Neighborhood watches work best...but are not the perfect answer either. The only solution is to rid the earth of the criminal element. The Bible says that that will happen just like it did in the flood...only this time because of Jesus, it will be done permanently...and then the "meek" or "righteous" will possess the earth and peace and security will finally be accomplished. This will happen, not by man's hand, but by the Creator's hand. ( Matthew 5:5; Matthew 6:9,10; 2Peter 3:7 and 13; Compare Psalms 37)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
I agree with Jon Cason. Just say you aren't interested and the people move on. I have had several people over the summer knock on the door. It's not a big deal to say "sorry I have got the time" or "sorry I am not interested".
Unfortunately. most of the ones that show up at my door don't take that first "no" as my "final" answer. I get really tired of being nice when they ignore my express declination of their offer.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
This thread is nearly 2 years old . . . but just for the record, despite 3 emails and a phone call, I never did get any sort of reply whatsoever from the city about an ordinance.

Wish I could say I wasn't surprised. :-(

JEANERING: Yes, I like the Lenexa ordinance very much and think it is respects everyone's rights.

After reading back over this thread, I am still of the opinion that door-to-door salesmen are dinosaurs and there really isn't a place for that type of sales activity. If I want you to demonstrate a product to me, I will look online, get in touch w/ the the retailer and make an appointment.

These are the only times I won't get annoyed about someone I don't know showing up at my door.

1. There may be some types of polls, especially political polls for candidates running in a particular district, where door-to-door solicitation for opinions could be valid. Also, this would give the candidate (or his/her representative) a chance to hand out info about their stance on issues.

2. There could be a retail establishment that has moved into the area and would like to give out coupons to residents so they would be encouraged to use the services, and most folks are not going to find that particularly invasive. But I think putting them into the newspaper slot of the mailbox is probably just as effective.

3. Lawn and landscaping services. I don't feel so annoyed about these knocks on the door. For one thing, if a lawn company secures several contracts on one street, then they often will give a discount to everyone, b/c it really does save them on gas and time.

4. Non-profits selling things . . . well . . . that usually would be a school related fund raiser or the Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts and it doesn't happen very often. If I were getting several a month, then I might get annoyed with everyone showing up at my door. We probably average no more of those types of knocks on the door but may five or six times a year. As long as it is kids in my neighborhood, I don't mind buying a raffle ticket, some cookies, etc. What DOES annoy me (and I won't purchase from kids in this situation) are parents that go outside their neighborhoods and dump kids out to go door to door. Sorry. If you live in my neighborhood, I am gonna try to support you and the school you attend. Otherwise, don't be surprised when you get turned down.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM

136 posts, read 327,490 times
We have had an occasional magazine/book salesperson once or twice a year, and the awesome girl scout cookies.... We have also had those carpet cleaner people too. I can not think of the name of the brand... maybe a Kirby vacuum cleaner/steamer thing...but they are extremely expensive. The guy was so agressive, and would not take no for an answer, I eventually had him clean my whole livingroom and hallway.... I kept being undecided and unconvinced.... Needless to say, I never saw those guys again... Too bad, my carpet could use a good cleaning.... LOL.

But anyway, the reason for this post is that there were a few people that would act wierd and strange while they claimed to be selling some cleaning product. Our area had an increase in car break ins, house break ins, etc during the same time. The "salesperson" would actually be looking over the person's shoulder as if to "scope" out the goods in their home. If the house appeared to be empty, they would look in the back yard, and any windows. So when they came to my street, I asked for ID, did take their picture, and wrote down their tag number with vehicle description. When she said they had the proper permits and she showed me some ID and permit looking thing real fast (since my town does not require such permits), I immediately called the police, and told her that it would be best for her group to forget my subdivision....

Needless to say, we have had not seen that group since and our break-ins have stopped...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post
We have had an occasional magazine/book salesperson once or twice a year, and the awesome girl scout cookies.... We have also had those carpet cleaner people too. I can not think of the name of the brand... maybe a Kirby vacuum cleaner/steamer thing...but they are extremely expensive. The guy was so agressive, and would not take no for an answer, I eventually had him clean my whole livingroom and hallway.... I kept being undecided and unconvinced.... Needless to say, I never saw those guys again... Too bad, my carpet could use a good cleaning.... LOL.

But anyway, the reason for this post is that there were a few people that would act wierd and strange while they claimed to be selling some cleaning product. Our area had an increase in car break ins, house break ins, etc during the same time. The "salesperson" would actually be looking over the person's shoulder as if to "scope" out the goods in their home. If the house appeared to be empty, they would look in the back yard, and any windows. So when they came to my street, I asked for ID, did take their picture, and wrote down their tag number with vehicle description. When she said they had the proper permits and she showed me some ID and permit looking thing real fast (since my town does not require such permits), I immediately called the police, and told her that it would be best for her group to forget my subdivision....

Needless to say, we have had not seen that group since and our break-ins have stopped...
Good for you! That was very wise.

In this age of online sales . . . I honestly don't get why folks think anyone would believe door to door sales people are legit. If there is something wonderful out there, we have probably all heard about it, lol. If we want it, we can order it online if it isn't available in a retail store nearby.

As far as I am concerned, if I didn't invite a salesperson to my home for a demonstration, he/she is interrupting my life and they are not welcomed.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 5,428 times
Default Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They drive me bonkers with those flyers we used to have a C.O newspaper box and it would could full of them.

They know they cant put them inside of mailbox since that is a federal offense so they get creative with the outside.

Our neighborhood has slot below the mailbox a part of its fram it is always getting full of flyers.

I have been tempted to stick something in it with points like tree gum balls or persimmon shell or something gooey inside that slot but that is also the slot used for our neighborhood newsletter so that is stopping me.
I know it must be hard to relate to hard working people trying to make a legitimate living. Get off of your lazy butt and recycle it. YOU are part of the problem in this country, I guarantee it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
The CMPD South Division posted this about solicitors in their May newsletter. Maybe it will be helpful to some of you. Seems like the only foot you have to stand on legally right now is to post no soliciting and/or no trespassing on your home.

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/ebaanx7zdwmg5zm6ezcyvgsnbyytbg3wit5skgn24kbnmgmjmz prfmahkwb75bchyaxkig3rzcebgbpnsrfgwa3fo3h/SouthRA2May10.pdf (broken link)
Why is it that some people hate the idea that someone is a hard worker trying to advertise to feed their family. Not everyone can be rich and have a great job and a huge house. I doubt that because there is an advertisement in your paper box, that the person who is desperately trying to get work is "casing" your home. Would you prefer they don't get work, and resort to that instead. Wow...really not a big deal. It's called America.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catyneb43 View Post
Why is it that some people hate the idea that someone is a hard worker trying to advertise to feed their family. Not everyone can be rich and have a great job and a huge house. I doubt that because there is an advertisement in your paper box, that the person who is desperately trying to get work is "casing" your home. Would you prefer they don't get work, and resort to that instead. Wow...really not a big deal. It's called America.
Well, saying "it's called America" as a way to imply that homeowners have no right to quiet enjoyment of their property and therefore must be impacted by solicitors is pretty lame. No offense. But when a person chooses a job, that person has chosen what type of atmosphere he/she wants to work in. If that means knocking on doors, then be aware up front that the majority of folks are not going to welcome those intrusions and many are going to see it as something aggressive.

Just b/c we live in America, it doesn't mean people have the right to intrude on other people's rights.

If you want to put a flyer in my newspaper slot on my mailbox, I have no problem with that. It can be helpful to let me know about a new restaurant in the area, or a dog-walking service, for ex. But many see these flyers as a waste of paper when such services can be advertised no charge online. So not everyone is going to respond in a welcoming way to this methodology of advertising.

People who choose to engage in door to door solication must realize that this is not 1955. Crime is real and homeowners are wary.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,146 times
...sighs....It is so sad to see so many people with such a skewed perspective of door-to-door sales people. 1. No soliciting in a town, county, neighborhood is basically saying that a particular company cannot operate within its scope of their business license. 2. Door-to-door promotions are something that is worth looking at if you're looking to get a great deal or save a bit of money 3. Door-to-door sales was a sales technique that built this country up before television and print!!!! It is like the grandfather of marketing! Its called "Word of Mouth Advertising" and it is the BEST form of advertising!! Print is a waste of money and so is radio/tv b/c they do not hit the target market.

If someone comes to your door and they look shady, by all means say you're not interested and go about your day!! Not ALL of us are out to scam you, most of us are just trying to work and offer a great deal. I personally cannot work at an inside job, I have tried over and over again, but I can't deal with sitting on my ass all day around a bunch of gossiping hens. I am great in sales, so I started my own promotions company. We go door-to-door with promotions such as FREE massages, pizza, dinners, etc all for local business, we give a personal one on one 3 minute infomercial to the customers about the business. 90% of the time we get not interested, and THATS OK, but for someone to say that I cannot do my job AFTER I purchased a business lic, pay my taxes and support my local economy, is absolutely bull****, that is infringing on MY RIGHT to make a living!!! If a particular person has a no soliciting sign, I might not knock, most of the time I don't see them until after I have rang the bell or knocked and at that point its kinda too late so I just pitch them. MOST of the time the ones WITH the no soliciting signs are the ones that buy the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy isn't it!?

To all of you that are being such rude jerks talking down about someone that does go door-to-door, I would like to have you shadow me for a day and watch me make $300 in 3 hours.......b/c I work for 20-30 hours a week and make more than most people do working 60 hours a week...... next time......you might want to take 10 seconds and LISTEN to what the person is saying, you never know, you MIGHT actually be interested in what they have in their hands. If you're not then just say no, its really that simple but don't try to take someones livelihood away b/c we all know you wouldn't like it done to you.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,066 times
Default Wow, what a self-absorbed jerk YOU are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Door2DoorMakesMore View Post
...sighs....It is so sad to see so many people with such a skewed perspective of door-to-door sales people. 1. No soliciting in a town, county, neighborhood is basically saying that a particular company cannot operate within its scope of their business license. 2. Door-to-door promotions are something that is worth looking at if you're looking to get a great deal or save a bit of money 3. Door-to-door sales was a sales technique that built this country up before television and print!!!! It is like the grandfather of marketing! Its called "Word of Mouth Advertising" and it is the BEST form of advertising!! Print is a waste of money and so is radio/tv b/c they do not hit the target market.

If someone comes to your door and they look shady, by all means say you're not interested and go about your day!! Not ALL of us are out to scam you, most of us are just trying to work and offer a great deal. I personally cannot work at an inside job, I have tried over and over again, but I can't deal with sitting on my ass all day around a bunch of gossiping hens. I am great in sales, so I started my own promotions company. We go door-to-door with promotions such as FREE massages, pizza, dinners, etc all for local business, we give a personal one on one 3 minute infomercial to the customers about the business. 90% of the time we get not interested, and THATS OK, but for someone to say that I cannot do my job AFTER I purchased a business lic, pay my taxes and support my local economy, is absolutely bull****, that is infringing on MY RIGHT to make a living!!! If a particular person has a no soliciting sign, I might not knock, most of the time I don't see them until after I have rang the bell or knocked and at that point its kinda too late so I just pitch them. MOST of the time the ones WITH the no soliciting signs are the ones that buy the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crazy isn't it!?

To all of you that are being such rude jerks talking down about someone that does go door-to-door, I would like to have you shadow me for a day and watch me make $300 in 3 hours.......b/c I work for 20-30 hours a week and make more than most people do working 60 hours a week...... next time......you might want to take 10 seconds and LISTEN to what the person is saying, you never know, you MIGHT actually be interested in what they have in their hands. If you're not then just say no, its really that simple but don't try to take someones livelihood away b/c we all know you wouldn't like it done to you.
Wait, let me get this straight. By refusing to allow you uninvited onto my property I am denying YOUR right to earn a living? Ok, fair's fair. Please leave your car out front for me with the keys in it this Saturday night. I would like to use your property to earn a few extra bucks as a taxi driver. Are we on? You wouldn't deny me the right to earn a living, would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte