U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM

35,568 posts, read 43,752,701 times

Advertisements

I have just written the City Manager's office via email and asked them to please explain the steps needed to pass an ordinance banning solicitation. I explained that I understand there would be exemptions, such as for political candidates and non-profit groups, all of wh/ could be clearly detailed in such an ordinance.

If I do not hear back quickly, I will make a phone call next, but I was hoping to get something in writing back via email.

I would like to see how many others in Meck are interested in supporting this ordinance. Discussion has come up about this on several threads in the past, w/ the latest being in re: to fraudulent magazine sales.

Passing an ordinance means there would be less people "roaming" our neighborhoods and make it easier to prosecute anyone who is illegally soliciting. This makes it easier for homeowners to determine who has a legitimate reason for being in the neighborhood and who may be a thug "casing" houses for future break-ins.

How do you all feel about getting such an ordinance passed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,330,186 times
Maybe something like this?

Green River Ordinance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 AM

Actually, the Green River Ordinance is too easy to challenge, IMHO.

Here is an ordinance that has worked well:

Lenexa, Kansas Lenexa City Code

Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,330,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, the Green River Ordinance is too easy to challenge, IMHO.

Here is an ordinance that has worked well:

Lenexa, Kansas Lenexa City Code
I like it.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 AM

Here is another very effective Solicitation Ordinance:

http://opkansas.org/_Assets/agendas/council/2002/2002-12-16/PSC-C7.PDF (broken link)

Lenexa and OP are densely populated cities wh/ essentially "overflow" into each other, both w/in the same county.

In my opinion, the way S. CLT is developing (including into UC) is very similar to Lenexa and OP, Kanas 10 years ago. This is especially true of Ballantyne, as it is more the "planned community" concept wh/ is very comparable to how OP and Lenexa have been developed.

OP and Lenexa are located in Johnson County, KS, one of the wealthiest counties in the US. The cost of living and housing are very much in line w/ Charlotte's demographics.

Johnson County, Kansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Johnson County is one of the best-kept secrets in this country. The interesting aspect of this is that CharMeck and JoCo have much in common, especially w/ the influx of newcomers and the growing middle and upper middleclass.

I think JoCo offers a snapshot into what Meck's future may be like . . . if our city fathers plan to meet the future. Our infrastructure is sorely behind here . . . whereas JoCo planned far into the future and built extensive highways b/f the demand was even there. Of course, JoCo is "new" and Meck precedes the Revolutionary War! JoCo was laid out on a typical midwestern grid type of plan . . . making travel easy and subdivisions neatly arranged near major highways.

Crime is way under the national average, wh/ is a combination of many factors. I like to think that the region has a history of strict law enforcement. Wyatt Earp was, at one time, Sheriff of Lenexa, Kanas, LOL!!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I like it.
It really is a very rational code, isn't it? Allows for political candidates and not-for-profits to still make their rounds . . . and puts some responsibility on citizens to display a "no solicitation" sign in a visible area near/at the front of the residence.

It works, too. We had van loads of kids dumped out in the neighborhood on several occasions (always from another state!!!) and the police quickly put an end to it every time.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 AM

22,065 posts, read 40,041,054 times
I will see if there is a web base documentation of the one that is in place herein Huntersville.

Way it works if you plan to solicit in Huntersville you must have a permit (I do not know what cost is but it must be steep)

School, church, and non profit agencies has to get a permit as well but it is free.

When someone comes to my door I ask them you need to show me a permit. I cannot stand street walkers with no car in sight .

I need to get in habit of carrying my camera phone with me and just take a photo of them as soon as I open the door if I open it. I like to see how they would respond to that.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I will see if there is a web base documentation of the one that is in place herein Huntersville.

Way it works if you plan to solicit in Huntersville you must have a permit (I do not know what cost is but it must be steep)

School, church, and non profit agencies has to get a permit as well but it is free.

When someone comes to my door I ask them you need to show me a permit. I cannot stand street walkers with no car in sight .

I need to get in habit of carrying my camera phone with me and just take a photo of them as soon as I open the door if I open it. I like to see how they would respond to that.
LOL! I love the camera idea! You come to my home - you get prepared to be ID'd! hee hee

Please do post if you get more info. At least they are requiring a permit.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM

11,770 posts, read 18,379,011 times
We've had landscapers canvassing our neighborhood looking for work too.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
We've had landscapers canvassing our neighborhood looking for work too.
Well, I might be happy to see a landscaper come by, LOL. Same for the guys who sell pine needles. The thing is, tho . . . how does one know these guys are legit? It is so hard to know what to do . . .

I wish someone would come by soliciting to wash my windows (hand wash - inside and out).

I like it when people put flyers in the newspaper slot at my mail box. I would not want that stopped, I don't think. ????

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I do not want someone coming by to solicit to hand wash my windows. I think that is the type of thing I would want to have done only if I have had a reference or recommendation from someone. I guess any nutball or thug could use that as a way to gain entrance into your home, or scope the place out. SIGH.

Last edited by anifani821; 04-04-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte