U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:05 PM

163 posts, read 68,442 times

Advertisements

I don't rubberneck whenever I see a group of police cars police stopping someone, but I have to wonder if some of these responses are overkill.

Today, I drove into a large gas station to find myself having to maneuver around four police cruisers WHOSE LIGHTS WERE NOT FLASHING and other drivers who were equally perplexed at the police presence and the police' oblivion to the traffic problem they had created.

As I sat trying to LEAVE the gas station I saw that one police cruiser had stopped behind a parked car thus making it impossible for the car to get away. That's understandable.

The other police cars were parked in such a way that they created a hazard to anyone who unwittingly entered the gas station and wanted to get out.

Four officers talking to each other twenty feet away from the "crime scene".

Four cars.

One officer talking to a young woman standing outside her car, holding a baby on her hip. I can understand an initial mass response to a situation of unknown danger, but when it gets to the point where the other police are apparently not engaged in investigation and are just taking up space, isn't there something else they could do--- like stop blocking the traffic that is trying to EXIT the station?

Certainly, there came a point in this situation when these officers were no longer serving and protecting but creating a hazard to the public. I know that there are (or were) police officers who frequent this forum. Can one of them offer a little explanation and fill me in on normal protocol in such situations?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 PM

43 posts, read 30,880 times
So you were slightly inconvienced and you don’t know the circumstances? Go on with life and worry about something else.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:05 AM

Badge number? PM it to me.

If you weren't there you wouldn't know the severity of the problem.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
So you were slightly inconvienced and you don’t know the circumstances? Go on with life and worry about something else.

I've thought about your comment. Even though you weren't there, I agree. It was a slight inconvenience. I don't know the circumstances. It might have been the start of a one-person taqueria operating out of her Ford Focus (and we all know how dangerous they are, especially when the perpetrators are a young woman and a baby).

It was also a slight inconvenience last week when a driver ahead of me in traffic was nearly broadsided by a police car running a red light with no flashing lights and no siren. The guy ahead of me merely had to slam on his brakes to avoid a collision. No problem, really, except that if he hadn't paused for a few seconds when the light turned green, he might have been inconvenienced for life.

Or killed.

But then, I don't know the circumstances surrounding the policeman's motive for speeding and running the red light with no flashing lights or siren. It might have been justified. The Dunkin' Donuts special might have been ending. Who knows?

Last edited by Langerhans; 10-21-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-21-2018, 04:36 PM

5,885 posts, read 7,739,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
)

It was also a slight inconvenience last week when a driver ahead of me in traffic was nearly broadsided by a police car running a red light with no flashing lights and no siren. The guy ahead of me merely had to slam on his brakes to avoid a collision. No problem, really, except that if he hadn't paused for a few seconds when the light turned green, he might have been inconvenienced for life.
If true, this would be a much bigger issue than your OP. Why not lead with this?

Old 10-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If true, this would be a much bigger issue than your OP. Why not lead with this?

Actually, I thought about packard40's response and realized that it really was minor compared to the police car running the red light. I hadn't given it any thought until then. I certainly don't expect any one in the CMPD to justify or explain that one.

It wasn't my intention to list a series of complaints. I was hoping that a police officer would respond with a plausible explanation for the mess that they made of the gas station parking lot. I understand that in a situation in which one or more cars (police or otherwise) obstruct traffic (either on public or private property such as a gas station parking lot where there is ingress and egress), one officer must direct traffic at some point. If it is a crime scene where there is to be no through traffic, the scene must be delineated by yellow crime scene tape.

I saw neither. Apparently, the FIVE officers present didn't know this or just didn't care to do either. While it is true that I had no understanding of the situation (and the police are under no obligation to explain anything or even respond to anyone under any circumstance, something that makes them appear to be knuckle draggers), they do have a responsibility to avoid creating situations that endanger the public. Such negligence merely serves to create or to reinforce negative opinions of police in general.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM

2,838 posts, read 4,156,321 times
Quote:
Actually, I thought about packard40's response and realized that it really was minor compared to the police car running the red light. I hadn't given it any thought until then. I certainly don't expect any one in the CMPD to justify or explain that one.

It wasn't my intention to list a series of complaints. I was hoping that a police officer would respond with a plausible explanation for the mess that they made of the gas station parking lot. I understand that in a situation in which one or more cars (police or otherwise) obstruct traffic (either on public or private property such as a gas station parking lot where there is ingress and egress), one officer must direct traffic at some point. If it is a crime scene where there is to be no through traffic, the scene must be delineated by yellow crime scene tape.

I saw neither. Apparently, the FIVE officers present didn't know this or just didn't care to do either. While it is true that I had no understanding of the situation (and the police are under no obligation to explain anything or even respond to anyone under any circumstance, something that makes them appear to be knuckle draggers), they do have a responsibility to avoid creating situations that endanger the public. Such negligence merely serves to create or to reinforce negative opinions of police in general.
You had no understanding of the situation but you are convinced it should have been handled differently? Really?

BTW, most people do not have a negative opinion of police. I realize there are some bad cops out there just like there are bad people in all walks of life. Sorry, but your observation of the gas station situation and your reaction without knowing 'the situation' is way over the top.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
You had no understanding of the situation but you are convinced it should have been handled differently? Really?

BTW, most people do not have a negative opinion of police. I realize there are some bad cops out there just like there are bad people in all walks of life. Sorry, but your observation of the gas station situation and your reaction without knowing 'the situation' is way over the top.

Right. I don't understand why there had to be four cop cars and five cops creating a hazard when it was clear that one cop had the situation ( young mother holding a baby) under control while the other cops stood around another cop car shooting the breeze and obstructing traffic. I do understand that the police were creating a public hazard. Is that difficult to understand? I don't think that my observation is "way over the top".

I didn't say that most people have negative opinions of police. Why did you say that? It sounds like you're feeling defensive. Care to share a badge number?

Care to address the cop who ran the red light and clearly endangered the motorist whom he could have killed? Could there be justification for that?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:55 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,156,321 times
Quote:
Right. I don't understand why there had to be four cop cars and five cops creating a hazard when it was clear that one cop had the situation ( young mother holding a baby) under control while the other cops stood around another cop car shooting the breeze and obstructing traffic. I do understand that the police were creating a public hazard. Is that difficult to understand? I don't think that my observation is "way over the top".

I didn't say that most people have negative opinions of police. Why did you say that? It sounds like you're feeling defensive. Care to share a badge number?

Care to address the cop who ran the red light and clearly endangered the motorist whom he could have killed? Could there be justification for that?
Wow. Sorry, but I am not a cop.

Sad that this is what your choose to spend your day agonizing about. Hope one day you will find some peace. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,435,127 times
Are you really spun up over this? They're out there doing their jobs and people complain. Dont "do their jobs" and people complain. The woman with a baby on her hip could have just as easily been a friend of the officers as she could have just escaped an abusive significant other. You say you dont know, so just leave it as a minor inconvenience and go on with your life.

Cop runs a red light? It happens. That's why people tell you to drive defensively. I was a gnats tail from getting t-boned by a Sheriff's deputy a couple years ago when he blew through a stop sign, no lights on. I saw him not slowing and I managed to avoid a crash. People can be inattentive. That includes police officers as well.

I hope you never do something careless behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte