U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 AM

157 posts, read 269,106 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have posted on here several times and have received valuable information from most members on here. For those who do not know, my wife and I are considering moving to CLT, we were out visiting in January and loved what we saw. As time goes on and the job market tightens up we still do our research getting ready for our chance to move to CLT. Here is where out topic comes in.

What the heck is going on out there? We read the thread on the gun shops and we were pretty shocked. Now we know that crime happens anywhere and we all need to be vigilant but dam. We currently reside out in the "Wild West" AZ do we need to stay out here? I do not want to go to a neighbors house to borrow sugar and be taken out with her new shotgun. YIKES!

We know it is not utopia but it does seem like the crime and the gun issue maybe a bit out of control. As people who are considering a move to CLT any honest feedback will be appreciated. Since we have posted several time on this site we the quality of the people on here.

So what's the deal out there in CLT.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:05 AM

172 posts, read 528,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
Hi everyone,

I have posted on here several times and have received valuable information from most members on here. For those who do not know, my wife and I are considering moving to CLT, we were out visiting in January and loved what we saw. As time goes on and the job market tightens up we still do our research getting ready for our chance to move to CLT. Here is where out topic comes in.

What the heck is going on out there? We read the thread on the gun shops and we were pretty shocked. Now we know that crime happens anywhere and we all need to be vigilant but dam. We currently reside out in the "Wild West" AZ do we need to stay out here? I do not want to go to a neighbors house to borrow sugar and be taken out with her new shotgun. YIKES!

We know it is not utopia but it does seem like the crime and the gun issue maybe a bit out of control. As people who are considering a move to CLT any honest feedback will be appreciated. Since we have posted several time on this site we the quality of the people on here.

I don't think you will have to worry about borrowing sugar unless you are planning on kicking in your neighbors front door at 3 am to get it.

I have also read the gun threads and have come to the decision that a shotgun would be a good idea. It took the police 30 minutes to respond to our alarm. It was not their fault. They have a lot of area to cover and we are pretty far out. It made me think that taking personal responsibility for my safety was a good idea. JMO

Last edited by snowflake; 04-06-2008 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I can see where you would wonder. Here is my take.

Gun ownership has been rather politically incorrect in many areas across the country. Here in the South, if you were raised in a rural area (wh/ used to be most of NC - small towns w/ outlying rural areas) your family typically had some type of firearm - if only a shotgun/rifle - to not only protect your property but to hunt with . . .

As people have moved into this region, many of them are from areas wh/ did not promote gun ownership and indeed, considered it rather politically incorrect. Of course, this is not true for everyone who has moved here!

The natives amongst us have seen a change in our city and the newcomers are surprised at what is going on . . . Crime here used to be pretty much relegated to the "known crime areas." My theory (and there are those who will disagree w/ me, I am sure) is that the thugs have seen our city spread out . . . and neighborhoods develop wh/ are often very large and basically nice middle class homes/families w/ good lifestyle and upscale property . . . and so the thugs have discovered they can hit these nice neighborhoods . . . and carry off some prime property.

Again, all my theory and no one has confirmed my beliefs, but I think the thugs figured out that the majority of our population has been rather complacent about safety issues. Because we have so many nice new developments that are in the "upscale" areas of the city (and nearby counties). . . thugs have figured out they can break in homes and easily carry out Plasma TVs, for example. Now I may be wrong, but from what I have been reading and seeing on TV, seems the plasma TVs and computers are the big ticket items that are being ripped off (along w/ gaming systems). There was also a ring of criminals (wh/ supposedly was caught) who were breaking into new construction and stealing the appliances!!!

The thugs have gotten more brazen, and altho the bulk of break-ins appears to be happening during the day when homeowners are not home, there have been incidences recently w/ home invasions, where the criminals break in after midnite, knowing full well families are at home. I think the outrage has hit a high note b/c one family was broken into TWICE - the thugs came back for stuff they had not picked up on their first break-in!!!

So homeowners have decided to get shotguns, especially, to protect their families. A lot of us, me included, have had firearms training years ago but did not keep firearms in our home b/c we had children. One has to really think it through how to safely store guns in the home if there are children. Also, many of us have family members w/ military background . . . but may not have firearms in the home. So we are going out and picking up that shotgun that we have put off buying.

We had an elderly couple (in their 80s) beat up recently - even tho they were complying w/ the thugs' requests. I think that did a lot of us in. I worry about my own parents (but my dad is former Marine . . . and has firearms . . .and is into target practice).

Altho there may be no more crime overall in CLT than in years past . . . the break-ins and bullying of our citizens has just made us all conscious that perhaps the thugs think we are all "easy pickings" . . . so many of us are deciding to arm ourselves - especially those of us who have had training in firearms but have not owned them for a while.

Thus, all the discussion about firearms.

Now others may have differing theories about all this, but this is just my own opinion.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,479,307 times
Now that you have your gun you need to get to the range & practice, practice, practice!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Now that you have your gun you need to get to the range & practice, practice, practice!
Yes, you are so right, BK. That is part of responsible gun ownership. I have a feeling the ranges are going to see a upswing in clientele, LOL.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,288,817 times
I'd take a look at these links as well. Doesn't paint a pretty picture in regards to the foreclosure rate and crime.

City Council Works to Address Foreclosure Crisis | WBTV | Top Stories (broken link)

Charlotte Officials Plan To Take Proactive Measures To Combat Foreclosures - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Old 04-06-2008, 12:16 PM

157 posts, read 269,106 times
We appreciate all of the honest feedback regarding my post. We look forward to hearing more points of view. It is pretty eye opening to read some of the threads pertaining to the guns and the crime out there.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 PM

620 posts, read 1,921,168 times
First of all, crime here is not as bad as everyone makes it seem. Just don't be stupid, lock your doors, don't look vulnerable, etc. As NC continues to grow, there is an urban vs. rural mentality - some people have guns (either to go to the shooting range or hunt I guess) and some don't and both sides butt heads. For example, South Carolina's solution to school shootings is to let everyone bring a gun on campus. Yeah... that's really smart.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,479,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
For example, South Carolina's solution to school shootings is to let everyone bring a gun on campus. Yeah... that's really smart.
An armed society is a polite society.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
We appreciate all of the honest feedback regarding my post. We look forward to hearing more points of view. It is pretty eye opening to read some of the threads pertaining to the guns and the crime out there.
Ani summed it up nicely, but I would like to add this...Until the last couple of years Charlotte was one of those towns turning big city which had never had much of a crime problem. Now that we are a bigger city and have attracted the NFL, NBA, a huge upswing in the popularity with NASCAR among middle Americans - among other signs of prosperity - we are also attracting the criminals that follow that kind of money. This does not mean Charlotte is extremely dangerous, or that it is even as bad as some of the more notorious cities like New Orleans, Detroit or Philidelphia - it just means crime here is now bad by CHARLOTTE standards. We locals and natives are appalled by this, AND it makes us very angry to see the sweet city we love having this spike in crime. Crime is not "everywhere", but it can happen "anywhere" - so people moving here now need to realize this is no longer a quiet little city -we're in the big city league now and I think a certain amount of crime is unfortunately to be expected. But things are to the point now that those of us raised with firearms years ago are taking up target practice and buying some new hardware - just to be as proactive as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte