Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 95,897 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I’m looking for hotel recommendations. We’ve planned a trip to Carowinds with the kids (8 and 5) and I’m debating whether or not to stay in the Ballentyne or fort mill/Tega Cay area.

This trip will double as a fun/area searching trip. We moved to Raleigh (Apex specifically) almost 2 years ago from south Florida and while the kids have adjusted well, I am just not loving it here. While I appreciate the low crime and down to earthness, it’s a bit sleepy for me. So I’m looking for something with a bit more energy, though not overly congested, traffic wise.

Im originally from palm beach gardens and have known people who have moved around the charlotte area and were happy.

Tega Cay and Fort Mill appeal to me due to the excellent schools, low crime, and proximity to water (I hadn’t realized how much I’d miss it), but wondering if the pace is too slow there too?

Ballentyne/Providence is another area of interest. I like the idea of going to the downtownish shopping areas (ballantyne village, Blakeney, etc) to sit outside and eat/hang out/let the kids play.

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
You can stay in either location for a hotel and easily visit both areas. I'd pick based off price, reviews, any loyalty upgrades, and the amenities you are looking for on your stay. I think Fort Mill / Tega Cay will feel a bit like Apex though and I'm not sure you'll get a more "high energy" vibe. Fort Mill is a nice suburban community people move specifically to for being sleepy and having good schools. You can expect lots of new subdivisions and a nice nature area at Anne Springs Close Greenway (membership required). Ballantyne is a little bit more high energy, but still very suburban. You have more of a restaurant scene in the Ballantyne area and some bars, etc.. that stay open later.

You'll find Charlotte is a bit more congested traffic wise than Raleigh area due to the layout of the area. Traffic flow is heavy in-bound to Uptown in AM and outbound in PM.

Would you work from home or is job proximity a factor?

Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, CLT4. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a high energy vibe, but just something the lends the idea that there are things going on, rather than just tall trees everywhere. I thought I’d find it charming compared to where I’m from, but it’s started to feel claustrophobic. Palm Beach Gardens was a bit conglomerate and I’d thought I wanted the opposite of that, but discovering lately that I was wrong.

Glad to know either one will be great for the hotel. Job proximity would be a factor. I’m guessing my husband and I would either work uptown or Ballentyne. I’ve read that the commute to uptown isn’t terrible from either Ballentyne or fort mill.

Silly question, but are there any differences in the people who live in fort mill vs ballantyne? I’ve noticed here that people who live in Raleigh tend to be a bit more outgoing, whereas people in Apex or Cary tend to be more introverted.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh575 View Post
Thanks for the reply, CLT4. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a high energy vibe, but just something the lends the idea that there are things going on, rather than just tall trees everywhere. I thought I’d find it charming compared to where I’m from, but it’s started to feel claustrophobic. Palm Beach Gardens was a bit conglomerate and I’d thought I wanted the opposite of that, but discovering lately that I was wrong.

Glad to know either one will be great for the hotel. Job proximity would be a factor. I’m guessing my husband and I would either work uptown or Ballentyne. I’ve read that the commute to uptown isn’t terrible from either Ballentyne or fort mill.

Silly question, but are there any differences in the people who live in fort mill vs ballantyne? I’ve noticed here that people who live in Raleigh tend to be a bit more outgoing, whereas people in Apex or Cary tend to be more introverted.
I guess that depends on your definition of terrible. It would be terrible to me!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Oh boy. How many minutes? I thought I had read 30 to and from. Maybe that was an older post...

Old 12-05-2018, 11:18 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh575 View Post
Oh boy. How many minutes? I thought I had read 30 to and from. Maybe that was an older post...
With no traffic, if you leave for work at 7AM or sooner should be good. 7:30AM... 45 mins to an hour.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Noted. Thank you!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:34 AM

869 posts, read 1,787,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
With no traffic, if you leave for work at 7AM or sooner should be good. 7:30AM... 45 mins to an hour.
My wife works in Dilworth (Presbyterian) and we live in Blakeney. She leaves at 5:15 am, takes 77 & 277 and is there is 20-25 minutes. Leaves for home at 4:30, takes side roads, and is home about 5:15-5:20pm.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Thanks Sparkman. That sounds about the same as my husbands current commute into Raleigh.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:43 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
With commuting/rush hour, timing (exactly when you’re on the roads) is everything for any medium to large metro area.

I can’t help the OP, and we’re not commuting anymore. We’re also moving to the area, considering Fort Mill, but concerned we may go stir crazy (way) out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte