Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:07 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times

Advertisements

Loves, i know that we are on the opposite side of the question of second amendment rights, and I for one, don't feel like debating it at this point. Maybe some afternoon over a salad. But I do have a deep fear of gun ownership . As you said we don't want guns in the hands of the wrong people - i.e. children, the mentally ill and hot-headed bullies. I fear, however, that if there is a gun in the home it's exactly those people who will get their hands on it. In my own family, my niece must wear a glass eye because when she was 6 years old a neighbor child picked up a gun and shot out her eye. Here in Charlotte our very close friends, an emergency room physician and his parents, a couple of physicians, will never be the same again because the mentally ill son of the parents had a stand-off with CMPD for several hours. It finally ended with his suicide.

The problem is that we can never be sure when these people are going to get their hands on a gun. I, for one would prefer that they didn't have one available.

As I've said before, I've lived in London and Paris. Especially in London, I saw many instances when people would be high from an evening of drinking and would get into a fight on the street or on the Tube. I was never fearful for my own safety in these situations because I knew that they would not involve firearms. In the USA I would be afraid that someone would pull a handgun. In Japan, I was not afraid of walking home late at night because I knew that if someone wanted to rob me guns would not be involved. I guess gun-free societies seem much safer to me. I know that with our current laws criminals will always get guns. But if we limited gun purchase to hunting guns we would all be much safer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
moderator note:

Anything involving the police is documented.
Everything stated above is "here say" Please provide the documentation this allege incident did occur
This is from the Charlotte Observer Friday April 4, 2008
Pierpointe resident charged in shooting

Police: Employee of portable-toilet firm is shot to death

KARA LOPP

klopp@charlotteobserver.com

Justus Dane Moss

LAKE WYLIE --

Police charged a southwest Mecklenburg resident in the shooting death in his neighborhood of a man servicing a portable toilet Thursday.
Demetrio Calvillo, 36, was shot to death at 9:30 a.m. in the Pierpointe neighborhood, according to police. Resident Justus Dane Moss, 27, was arrested Thursday by CMPD and charged with murder.
Police did not give details about what led to the shooting, but said that Moss, who lives on Point Lookout Road, used a small-caliber handgun.
Calvillo worked for A Sani-Can, a company based in Lincoln County that supplies and cleans portable toilets.
Neighbor Martha Gainey said there had been disputes over sharing a driveway between the Moss house and a house under construction next door.
Neighbors said Moss lives with his parents.
Police found Calvillo inside his company truck, parked near a portable toilet at the construction site. Calvillo was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a CMPD news release.
Neeley Womble, who handles human resources for A Sani-Can, said Calvillo, who was married with children, had worked for the company for three years.
With about 30 employees, the Denver, N.C., company is a tight-knit group, Womble said. Co-workers were at the Calvillo home Thursday to console his family, she said.
Gainey, who has lived on Point Lookout Road for decades, was not at home when the shooting occurred. She was heading home about 9:30 a.m. Thursday when, on an impulse, she stopped to visit her daughter, who lives nearby.
A few hours later, she said she was thankful she made that stop.
"There was a reason for that. I just thank the Lord," Gainey said as she waited with other neighbors to return to their homes.
Gainey had just pulled into daughter Niki Laney's driveway when the sirens started, Laney said.
Pierpointe -- with some houses in the $1.5 million range -- doesn't have much crime, Gainey said.
When residents do hear sirens, it's likely a medical call.
"I've been here 20 years and never had trouble," Gainey said.
Moss has no history of violent crime in North Carolina, according to a criminal records check conducted by the Observer.
He was being held without bond at Mecklenburg County jail.
Kara Lopp: 704-358-6043

Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Does anyone have a reaction to the alleged murder of a latino worker in the Pierpointe neighborhood of south Charlotte? I noticed that the worker had four children and am surprised that there has been no mention of the establishment of a fund to help support the children.

A man, a father, a husband is dead!...it was a senseless murder/crime.

Demetrio Pascual
1971 - 2008
LINCOLNTON - Demetrio Calvillo Pascual, 36, of 138 Old Well Lane, died April 3, 2008.

His funeral will be 6 p.m. Sunday at St. Dorothy Catholic Church.

Burial will follow in Cementerio Del Huitzachal, Mexico.

Demetrio was born November 29, 1971 in Mexico and was the son of Antonio Calvillo Mariano and Agustina Pascual Valencia. He was a truck driver for Sani Can.

Warlick Funeral Home is serving the Calvillo family.
Published in the Gaston Gazette from 4/4/2008 - 4/5/2008

Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
moderator note:

Anything involving the police is documented.
Everything stated above is "here say" Please provide the documentation this allege incident did occur
Here you go Sunny

Charlotte Observer | 04/05/2008 | Suspect's relatives say they're sorry (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/567420.html - broken link)

Old 04-06-2008, 06:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Loves, i know that we are on the opposite side of the question of second amendment rights, and I for one, don't feel like debating it at this point. Maybe some afternoon over a salad. But I do have a deep fear of gun ownership . As you said we don't want guns in the hands of the wrong people - i.e. children, the mentally ill and hot-headed bullies. I fear, however, that if there is a gun in the home it's exactly those people who will get their hands on it. In my own family, my niece must wear a glass eye because when she was 6 years old a neighbor child picked up a gun and shot out her eye. Here in Charlotte our very close friends, an emergency room physician and his parents, a couple of physicians, will never be the same again because the mentally ill son of the parents had a stand-off with CMPD for several hours. It finally ended with his suicide.

The problem is that we can never be sure when these people are going to get their hands on a gun. I, for one would prefer that they didn't have one available.

As I've said before, I've lived in London and Paris. Especially in London, I saw many instances when people would be high from an evening of drinking and would get into a fight on the street or on the Tube. I was never fearful for my own safety in these situations because I knew that they would not involve firearms. In the USA I would be afraid that someone would pull a handgun. In Japan, I was not afraid of walking home late at night because I knew that if someone wanted to rob me guns would not be involved. I guess gun-free societies seem much safer to me. I know that with our current laws criminals will always get guns. But if we limited gun purchase to hunting guns we would all be much safer

No worries between us Barb! I wouldn't ever want to debate you

Let's just agree to disaggree on the 2nd amendment and send some prayers up for this murder victims family okay?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Barb: I mentioned in an earlier post that you could see about establishing a fund, but after reading this - perhaps this parish has established a fund. I have been checking on line and can find no mention of a fund yet.

<His funeral will be 6 p.m. Sunday at St. Dorothy Catholic Church.>

If anyone finds out about a fund, I hope they will post so people will know where to send donations.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:52 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
I did find out about a fund for Demetrio's wife and children. If anyone wants to contribute to it, here's the information. The family requests that you leave your name with A Sani-Can if you choose to make a donation through the bank.

We (A Sani-Can) have set up an account for Demetrio’s Family. If anyone should ask you can provide them with the following information. Please keep a list of people who call so that we can pass it on to the family.
Make checks payable to: A Sani-Can- Demetrio Calvillo Family Fund
They can mail them to:[A Sani-Can
8151 Webbs Road
Denver NC 28037

Or

Peoples Bank
Attn: Tonya
PO Box 594
Denve, NC 28037

If someone wants to electronically wire the money see Neeley or myself for the account number.
Thank you,
General Manager
A Sani-Can Service, Inc.
(704) 483.5641 office
(704) 483.8481 fax
www.asanican.com

Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM

Thank you, Barb! I thought someone would set up a fund . . . appreciate your sharing the info. Such a sad situation . . .

Last edited by brokensky; 04-07-2008 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: edit out quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,314 times
Unhappy I Knew Justus Moss

I grew up with this guy through high school. I was close with him and his whole family, they were like my second family. There's was the most Christian faith based family I've ever known. It was the shock of my life when I saw he had murdered someone. I lost touch with him and his family after high school so I don't know what kind of mental state he was currently in; but the person I knew was the least confrontational person you could meet. A person couldn't have been raised in a more stable household than he was. It just goes to show you never really know what someone is capable off. It's a sad fate for both families involved.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip885 View Post
I grew up with this guy through high school. I was close with him and his whole family, they were like my second family. There's was the most Christian faith based family I've ever known. It was the shock of my life when I saw he had murdered someone. I lost touch with him and his family after high school so I don't know what kind of mental state he was currently in; but the person I knew was the least confrontational person you could meet. A person couldn't have been raised in a more stable household than he was. It just goes to show you never really know what someone is capable off. It's a sad fate for both families involved.
Oh my. What a sad story. I can't help but wonder if this young man was suffering from mental health issues that affected how he acted out . . . Sometimes we all forget that there are two victim families in a situation like this. The murdered man has a family and of course, we would never want to minimize the suffering that family has gone through. But the alleged murderer - his family is suffering, too. Just a really sad story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte