U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 13,010 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to North Carolina in the next 2 to 3 years. I have visited the area and I really like it. One of the reasons for moving there is for reasonable housing costs (compared to Miami). However, as I search through listing for homes, I notice properties are being built on teeny-tiny lots! When I move I want to have at least an acre of land. I am not sure what area I would like to move, although I have spoken to some relatives who live in the area. They have told me to focus on the following areas: Cornelius, Davidson, Mint Hill, and Pineville.

When I move, I will move likely be working uptown (I am a CPA) and I am not sure where my husband will be working. So, I do have to be conscious of my drive to uptown from where I live. I would be fine with driving up to 45-50 minutes to work, in order to have a larger lot.
I am looking for a 4/3 with at least an acre lot. I am also looking to move in an area with a lot of young professionals. I am looking now because I see that the housing prices are rising quickly and land is becoming harder to purchase. What I would really like to do is purchase land now and build a house on it when I am ready to move up. Is this even an option any more?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer regarding possible areas to move. I would be looking to spend 300-350k on a house. I am not sure what I would spend on a lot. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do NOW, if I donít plan on moving for a few years???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 09:49 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,104,980 times
Default 1 acre 4/3 within 45 mins uptown

Hi
I hope people won't shoot me down as I am hardly a native ,being from the UK! However we have spent lots af time and energy researching the area before we bought a home near Lake Norman.
In my opinion (and it is just an opinion) the Iredell County and Cabarrus county schools (North of Charlotte) are better than Charlotte schools if that is a consideration. lake Norman is beautiful. Also you are far more likely to get the home that you want with the land within your budget within 50 mins of uptown as long as you don'tgo too far North.

Hope this helps

Old 12-16-2006, 09:53 AM

218 posts, read 188,158 times
The lot size has become a trend. For that price range, and that much land, you will be pretty far from uptown. Also, a "young professional" community that has acre lots just doesn't exist. Young professional communities usually consist of patio homes, townhomes, etc. Any reason why you need an acre? I think for your land requirement Mint Hill would probably be your best bet. If you're willing to consider .4 and up, your options really open up.. and that is still a decent size lot. Ballantyne is a "young professional" area, and it runs practiaclly to the SC line. The area just across the line in Lancaster is being developed right now, so that may be an option for you. You can also find places in Union County that meet your requirements, but they will more than likely be a bit more "rural".

As for your timeframe... values are going to rise here, they have nowhere to go but up. If you can afford to secure a lot, and sit it on it for a year or so... it would make for a decent investment.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:31 AM

Is it still possible to secure a decent size lot, above .5 acres, in an area such as Mint Hill or Ballantyne???

Old 12-16-2006, 11:42 AM

218 posts, read 188,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimInMiami View Post
Is it still possible to secure a decent size lot, above .5 acres, in an area such as Mint Hill or Ballantyne???
with the right amount of money, anything is possible

Mint Hill would be less pricey compared to Ballantyne.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Drive Time

What do you think the drive time, during normal business hours (8-5), would be to uptown from the following areas:
Cornelius, Davidson, Ballantyne, and Mint Hill

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,116,504 times
Cornelius and Davidson is about 45 mins or so.... Once you get to passed exit 23 where is opens up to 4 lanes it gets easier...

Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,104,980 times
Kim
I believe a CPA is a physicians assistant-is that correct?
Remember there is Lake Norman Regional Medical centre off Junction 33 of the I77 nad also the new Presbyterian medical centre at Huntersville. I am Registered Nurse about to take NCLEX and have looked into the hospitals a little.
Not sure if you want to check out Concord which is up and coming. Don't know that much about it except that it has an old downtown area and some beautiful old homes. North east medical center has an excellent reputation.
We bought our home in Mooresville (28117) last September.It has 3 beds and 2 baths , an acre and althought it is not waterfront we have deeded lake access with a dock across the street which we share with our neighbour. We paid considerably less than $400,000. If you want waterfront you can pay around double as a minimum. If you don't want waterview or access then you can get something nice for less than $300,000.
Again I am no expert and it depends on what is important to you. I urge you to check out some of the areas North of Mecklenburg-taxes are lower and if schools are important then there are probs in Meck.
I guess it depends also on whether you like cooky cutter or something a little unique.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Thanks Susan! CPA stands for Certified Public Accountant.

I am very interested in the school system, although I do not have any children yet. One other reason I would prefer to live north of uptown would be for my parents. Both my parents eventually want to move from Miami and retire in North Carolina. My mother is very close to her sister who lives near Winton-Salem, so the drive would be shorter if we live North of Uptown.

I have also looked into Concord, but I am nervous that it will become extremely populated in the next few years.

Living on the water is not important to me. I would prefer to have a larger plot of land. I am finding this is going to be one of the hardest things to find in looking for a decently priced home. I would love to buy a large piece of land (over 5 acres) and subdivide it so that my parents and my 3 siblings could all build homes! My parents love his idea, but I am probably dreaming!

Kim

Old 12-30-2006, 07:07 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,116,504 times
You could possibly do Lincolnton. Still Rural. I am not sure on the Commute but you maybe able to find a CPA position in Hickory.

Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or