Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Hi,
We're looking to expand our concrete patio (looking to add just over 200 sq feet) and would love to get a few quotes from referrals rather than just names from the yellow pages.....anyone out there?
I've called 3 places so far, one person came out, measured and gave a quote. Another won't return my calls (too small a project for them to bother?), and the third insists he has to demolish my one year old 12x 12 existing patio (says would cost the same to demolish it than to work around it ), which he hasn't seen and has no idea where we'd put our HUGE hot tub while he did that.....
So, while I'm somewhat pleased with the one quote I did get, I'd like to talk to a couple more people before deciding to go ahead!
THANKS!
Try Kelly's Concrete in Waxhaw

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
good thread, thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
No kidding...crazy, why would I destroy a perfectly sound, NEW patio? Just to make him more money and to MAKE garbage? Not only would they have to break it up but then haul it to a dumpster and haul it away.......

Thanks!
Not a concrete expert by any means but the reason they do this is sometimes the new concrete won't stick to the new concrete well and will eventually lead to problems in the future with the slabs cracking and splitting where they joined the two slabs together. It may cost a little extra now to remove your old patio but in the long run it will save you money as you won't be repairing or replacing it in 5 years. Another thing to think about is the two colors won't match as the new concrete will have a different tone than the old, which may not bother some but I am just too picky for that too be acceptable. Again, I am pickier than most and may notice it more than someone else.
Also for those of you thinking about dyeing the concrete. Do yourself a favor and pay the little extra needed to have the dye added to the truck rather than dyeing afterward as you'll get a more even color and should you ever chip the concrete it will still be the color of the dye rather than grey.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM

46 posts, read 210,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Not a concrete expert by any means but the reason they do this is sometimes the new concrete won't stick to the new concrete well and will eventually lead to problems in the future with the slabs cracking and splitting where they joined the two slabs together. It may cost a little extra now to remove your old patio but in the long run it will save you money as you won't be repairing or replacing it in 5 years. Another thing to think about is the two colors won't match as the new concrete will have a different tone than the old, which may not bother some but I am just too picky for that too be acceptable. Again, I am pickier than most and may notice it more than someone else.
Also for those of you thinking about dyeing the concrete. Do yourself a favor and pay the little extra needed to have the dye added to the truck rather than dyeing afterward as you'll get a more even color and should you ever chip the concrete it will still be the color of the dye rather than grey.
There are ways around cracking where the two are joined. As I said before not removing the old slab would be mostly cosmetic issues. Just an FYI.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 AM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
I believe they have to put expansion joints in every 10 or 12 feet which is meant to provide protection against cracks. Personally, I'm not worried about mine.

One of the sections in the sidewalk in front of my house was broken (due to heavy equip running over it), they came in and replaced just that section about a year ago and when you look at it now you would have no idea which one was replaced.

Just my 2 cents, by no means am I an expert either. But in my limited experience, there seems to be plenty of contractors trying to make jobs bigger to make up for a slow market right now.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:27 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
I agree. Good thread here.

How much extra would stamped concrete be per square foot??

Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 AM

999 posts, read 4,651,484 times
Thanks for all the great replies....I'm not too concerned about color, I imagine as a PP stated, soon enough the color will look the same....plus, with my big ol' hot tub taking up so much space who'll notice?
What is frustrating, is people not calling back (I guess I dont' want them working on my patio....), not showing up at a scheduled time to look at the patio area....appt betw 5-6 pm....got a call at 930 pm asking if he could come this am at 9...gave him a break, now it's after 9 and I've got no faith he'll show up. I still have 2 more phone calls to make to get additional quotes, hopefully someone will come through, call back, show up and give me a decent quote!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:15 AM

46 posts, read 210,911 times
PM me if you don't get the quote and I can put you in touch with someone, or I can help you out some other way.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I agree. Good thread here.

How much extra would stamped concrete be per square foot??
I've seen anywhere from $7-15 a sq ft for stamped concrete depending on what you want. You can get pretty elaborate with the design.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I've seen anywhere from $7-15 a sq ft for stamped concrete depending on what you want. You can get pretty elaborate with the design.
Who do you recommend for 'stamping'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte