Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:17 AM

334 posts, read 290,769 times

Advertisements

I look at real estate on the Mecklenburg County's Preperty Record Search from time to time.

( https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/ ). I see that some properties' sales status is listed as "Temporarily Disqualified". I looked up the term but the gobbledygook explanation is impenetrable. I did discern that possible illegal transactions may be involved. Can anyone tell me what this term means?

Also, is this a new website to replace the old one that gave more information such as previous owners? I can't find the other website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times
Try Polaris 3G.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post

Thanks for the link. It's useful.

But does anyone know what Sales Status Temporarily Disqualified means?

Old 12-27-2018, 08:03 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
It means it wasn't an arms length sale.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:21 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Something about sales amount is not indicative of appraisal for tax purposes, therefore it's temporarily disqualified for inclusion in the appraisal base for the municipality.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Something about sales amount is not indicative of appraisal for tax purposes, therefore it's temporarily disqualified for inclusion in the appraisal base for the municipality.

So then it's fair to assume that the previous owner dumped it on the market below market value?

Old 12-28-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langerhans View Post
So then it's fair to assume that the previous owner dumped it on the market below market value?
Likely the case. Maybe it was in pre-foreclosure and owner decided to dump it for remaining loan amount so it didn't show on their credit report. The only pre-foreclosures I've seen are on houses that are upside down in a depressed market, but who knows what people do or think????

Old 12-28-2018, 07:31 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,194 times
Was it commercial or residential? I can look on MLS and see if it's listed there and what it says. I did find this on the web:
What is disqualified property?

I am doing a tax research project, and I came across section 336(d)(1)(B) in the IRC which has the definition of disqualified property. I don't really understand the tax definition. I looked it up on google to see if they had an explanation that wasn't in tax language. I am not having much luck finding a sufficient definition. This is the IRC definition "the term “disqualified property” means any property which is acquired by the liquidating corporation in a transaction to which section 351 applied, or as a contribution to capital, during the 5-year period ending on the date of the distribution."

3 Comments

Save
76% Upvoted
This thread is archived
New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast
SORT BY

BEST

level 1
oranye
1 point
·
4 years ago
·
edited 4 years ago
Normal Rule - The corporation, when 100% liquidating, will recognize gain and loss as if it is selling the property for FMV at the time of distribution to shareholders.

An exception - The corporation cannot recognize loss on property that has been contributed, tax free (section 351), to the corporation within the last 5 years. It can still recognize gain on 351 property.

So, if you get a 351 warehouse two years ago and are liquidating today and the warehouse would be counted as a loss when considering your 351 carryover basis. You don't get to take that loss into consideration for your liquidation. If you got that warehouse six years ago, you can take the loss because it is no longer unqualified.

This rule prevents shareholders from shifting losses to a place where they might be more effectively used due to caploss limit.

Save

Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Was it commercial or residential? I can look on MLS and see if it's listed there and what it says. I did find this on the web:
What is disqualified property?

I am doing a tax research project, and I came across section 336(d)(1)(B) in the IRC which has the definition of disqualified property. I don't really understand the tax definition. I looked it up on google to see if they had an explanation that wasn't in tax language. I am not having much luck finding a sufficient definition. This is the IRC definition "the term “disqualified property” means any property which is acquired by the liquidating corporation in a transaction to which section 351 applied, or as a contribution to capital, during the 5-year period ending on the date of the distribution."

Normal Rule - The corporation, when 100% liquidating, will recognize gain and loss as if it is selling the property for FMV at the time of distribution to shareholders.

An exception - The corporation cannot recognize loss on property that has been contributed, tax free (section 351), to the corporation within the last 5 years. It can still recognize gain on 351 property.

So, if you get a 351 warehouse two years ago and are liquidating today and the warehouse would be counted as a loss when considering your 351 carryover basis. You don't get to take that loss into consideration for your liquidation. If you got that warehouse six years ago, you can take the loss because it is no longer unqualified.

This rule prevents shareholders from shifting losses to a place where they might be more effectively used due to caploss limit.
This is a much better explanation than mine. Thanks for the find and post TB!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:01 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,194 times
You are welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte