Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 AM

870 posts, read 3,528,627 times

Advertisements

Don't let the door hit you in the ___ on the way back to Fla. Not sure how you consider S Fla to be much better. Housing market is terrible, homeowners insurance is astronomical and property taxes are through the roof. The job market is not very strong in S Fla since it is all service oriented with very little industrial or manufacturing.

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz2933 View Post
What are you talking about? Myrtle Beach is frequented PRIMARILY by people from the surrounding area. Don't try to paint it as anything else---it is a beach getaway for the surrounding southern states.
Absolutely false.
On your way back to FL pass through Myrtle Beach and check the license plates.
On any summer day you will find less from NC & SC than other states.

Consequently I am not knocking Myrtle Beach.
It is just funny how the OP describes the place as 'redneck' and somehow tries to link Charlotte, when most people vacationing there are not from the area.

Last edited by mullman; 04-07-2008 at 09:39 AM..

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz2933 View Post
What are you talking about? Myrtle Beach is frequented PRIMARILY by people from the surrounding area. Don't try to paint it as anything else---it is a beach getaway for the surrounding southern states.

Whatever....the condos I stay at have predominantly Northern guests. I made friends with people from Ohio and Pennsylvania just last year who love coming to NC. The point is don't try to come on here and put down the place where we live and like and expect to not get reamed. Go home and forget about NC. We really won't mind.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM

8,946 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Well, we wouldn't say that Charlotte is THAT bad, but there a couple of things that aren't so good about it:
The job market here is bad (or not the greatest anyway). I'm in Purchasing/Inventory Management and I still haven't found a job yet that is descently close to Huntersville. And, we have been here since Oct. 2007. Thank God that my wife got a good job last February.
Not much "weekend nightlife" for folks (couples) who are 55 plus...go out to dinner or to a movie. All of the sporting events just cost to much.
Due to the even "mild" type of winters here, may end up moving to Florida to get away from as much "cold" as possible. Cold weather affects my hip and shoulder surgery that I had in Colorado.
But, the Charlotte area is still nice, but, one thing for sure, it is not Las Vegas, Reno or any area like that. Not much "action" here (if that is what a person is looking for).
We are just waiting for the weather to be constant on the warm side, so we can get out on Lake Norman!!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
Wow! I was surprised to see the first post and then everyone wishing him/her goodbye. I'm one of those planning a move down there, my fiance is originally from SC and I hope to make my home there forever. I sure hope everyone doesn't feel that way about all people moving down there! I think that person who posted was out of line though.
Andreaspercheron

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM

870 posts, read 3,528,627 times
It is funny to hear this about Myrtle Beach. I had never been there until I moved to NC. People in Charlotte told me not to go there because there are quieter beaches. They described it to me, "take all the people at Charlotte Motor Speedway during a big race weekend including the infield, pick it up and drop in on the beach in Myrtle Beach and that is what it is like." It was very true but I enjoyed it. A lot to do and see.

Then I went on a weekend trip to Panama City in Fla and people told me how great it is and family friendly it would be. Got there and found out that they call it "Redneck Riviera". It surely was and most of the people there were from South Florida. Did not enjoy a minute of it. Car was broken into. It was dirty and trash everywhere.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
I don't even live down there and even I know that Myrtle Beach is mostly people who are NOT from the area. That was an awfully unfair statement from the person heading back to Florida. I'm originally from FL and I find NC to be even better than FL. Go figure!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Wow! I was surprised to see the first post and then everyone wishing him/her goodbye. I'm one of those planning a move down there, my fiance is originally from SC and I hope to make my home there forever. I sure hope everyone doesn't feel that way about all people moving down there! I think that person who posted was out of line though.
Andreaspercheron
No we don't. It's people who move here and then proceed to knock everything about it. I have major problems with that type of person. Should have researched a little better before making the move. Charlotte is not a huge metropolis but it's not podunk town either. Many of the problems we have are a result of so many people moving to the area so we don't want to hear people complain about everything here. If it's that bad, why did they move here? I grew up in Gaston Co. and have worked in Charlotte for years. I love living here (hate the traffic but that's life) and don't want to hear people tear it down.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Andreaspercheron
Absolutely not!
Secure employment and come on up!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Happy Trails!

I love visiting Florida but would never own property there - insurance and property taxes just waaaaay too prohibitive.

Head back to paradise and buckle up - we are in a 20 year cycle w/ increased hurricanes - so get ready to enjoy the ride.

Oh - as for Myrtle Beach . . . we locals all know what to expect when we go there - the same thing we see when we go to Orlando and Miami . . . people f/ all over the USA and quite a few Canadian visitors, as well.

Most Charlotteans head for Charleston and Hilton Head, if the truth be known. Myrtle is just a fast trip we take when rates are down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte