Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM

13 posts, read 20,172 times

Advertisements

I’m here today to ask about winters in the Charlotte area. I’m about 90% locked in to moving to the Charlotte area from north Florida. I do have one concern. Winter. More specifically ice. I’ve been told that while snow in CLT really isn’t an issue. The big issue is ice. Some have told me that CLT gets lots of ice in the winter.

So how much ice are we talking here? Is ice really a constant Issue all winter long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 03:12 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileDaily View Post
I’m here today to ask about winters in the Charlotte area. I’m about 90% locked in to moving to the Charlotte area from north Florida. I do have one concern. Winter. More specifically ice. I’ve been told that while snow in CLT really isn’t an issue. The big issue is ice. Some have told me that CLT gets lots of ice in the winter.

So how much ice are we talking here? Is ice really a constant Issue all winter long?

No. It's far from an issue all winter long. We had snow, sleet and ice in December and the city closed for a couple of days. We don't stay below freezing for long so 99 % of the time the ice/snow melts in a day or so.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:35 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Definitely not constant. Maybe once or twice per winter there is enough snow or ice where the roads are messy for a day or two.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
If we get ice, 90% of everything (schools, retail, etc) ends up closed until it melts. Workplaces are 50-50 if they close. Roads are typically fairly empty when the roads are icy.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
I would say we get more ice than snow but its not really a massive issue (I'm comparing my time in New England where it was more snow than ice). To be honest I'd classify it more as frost than actual ice coverage.

I came from SWFL and I'd say its only been an "issue" maybe 3-4 times since being here (2017) and by that I mean we had to be out earlier in the am before the sun warmed anything up so we were just more aware of any around. There can be some small spots on the road if we get a particularly cold night. It seems most of the time the temps hover just above freezing so nothing gets solid. We were never in an accident or anything just had to drive a bit slower during mornings it was colder.

We do often have to scrape the car windows in the am but that's really the extent of it. I will say this was my only uh oh experience with ice.. you can see all the black ice at the intersection. Everyone essentially had to roll through with their foot off the gas. Once the sun warmed up enough it was all gone though.. the first two photos were during our winter storm in Dec which brought a mix and the last is what you can expect the rest of the time.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 01-14-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I would say we get more ice than snow but its not really a massive issue (I'm comparing my time in New England where it was more snow than ice). To be honest I'd classify it more as frost than actual ice coverage.

I came from SWFL and I'd say its only been an "issue" maybe 3-4 times since being here (2017) and by that I mean we had to be out earlier in the am before the sun warmed anything up so we were just more aware of any around. There can be some small spots on the road if we get a particularly cold night. It seems most of the time the temps hover just above freezing so nothing gets solid. We were never in an accident or anything just had to drive a bit slower during mornings it was colder.

We do often have to scrape the car windows in the am but that's really the extent of it. I will say this was my only uh oh experience with ice.. you can see all the black ice at the intersection. Everyone essentially had to roll through with their foot off the gas. Once the sun warmed up enough it was all gone though.. the first two photos were during our winter storm in Dec which brought a mix and the last is what you can expect the rest of the time.

Thanks! This was quite informative. Also, it's funny you mentioned SWFL because I have been trying to decide if I should move to SWFL or the Charlotte area. I have family in both and love both area greatly. I'm 75% leaning towards CLT for many reasons, but one is after living in Florida my whole life, I'm really wanting to live in a place that has four full seasons. I am still a bit nervous about the winters, but it could be that it's all unknown to me as I've never experienced anything other then Florida winters and have never experienced snow or icy roads. I'm sure I'll be fine. It's certainly exciting thinking about all this change I'm about to experience. Can't wait!

Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
Don't let possible snow/ice deter you from moving to Charlotte. It is cold on some mornings (high 20s/low 30s), so that may deter you...as may a variety of other plus/minuses...but snow/ice isn't prevalent enough to be a determining factor.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:05 PM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Don't let possible snow/ice deter you from moving to Charlotte. It is cold on some mornings (high 20s/low 30s), so that may deter you...as may a variety of other plus/minuses...but snow/ice isn't prevalent enough to be a determining factor.

That's what I keep telling myself. It's North Carolina not North Dakota. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 PM

386 posts, read 365,837 times
Overrated, but Charlotte weather forecasts cover a relatively large area. Sometimes as in December's cool period, a few degrees in temps from NW to SE CLT massively differentiates snow vs frozen rain vs sleet vs rain fall amounts. Additionally, it rarely gets too cold nor lasts too long in CLT, e.g., this coming overnight Sunday and Monday forecasts. Then, it's warms up.

Ice: No level of experience, intellect nor common sense enables driving well on ice. Don't, especially given some human beings inexplicably and naively believe they possess magical ice driving skills.

Snow: When individuals have little to no experience driving in and on snow, they're best to sit it out. You can always survive without 36 loaves of bread, 44 gal of milk, etc. Let other foolish or heroic individuals exhibit their dearth of experience and success.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 AM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
Not a concern. I lived there for 6 years and actually can only recall 2 times when roads were a concern. That was due to large snowfalls. But everything shuts down at the first sign of ice and snow it seems. I'd say that if you are concerned, just wait until the sun comes up and melt most of it away. Once is dangerous but only remains iced below 30-32 degrees. But remains slick up to 36. Sometimes wet roads are more dangerous than icy roads. So if you're a good Florida driver in the storms here, then a Little ice wont bother you after a couple of times on it. It is soninfrequent anyway. I would not worry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: