U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,028,540 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Everyone keeps saying how tough the job market is in Charlotte and surrounding areas. I wonder though, are these more professional jobs? I have worked the past 10 years or so as an Executive Administrative Assistant, I've seen a lot of those jobs available. Not that I'm not professional but I'm thinking the higher executive level are maybe hard to come by. What's everyones thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM

158 posts, read 498,022 times
I am also an Executive Assistant with over 10 years of experience. Looking at job ads in Charlotte, I would not say they are plentiful. Try to search for EA or AA for New York to see the difference - there are close to 100 new ads every day... and that makes me nervous.

This is one of the jobs that almost imposible to find unitl you move. I really doubt that anyone will hire an admin from out of state. Besides, we don't make the kind of money that will allow us to fly to interviews.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
It really across the board on jobs. However retail and restaurant might fair better than others due to their new shopping centers all over the place.

Pay attention to companies moving to the area or expanding and try to get your foot in the door before they get settle in.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I am also an Executive Assistant with over 10 years of experience. Looking at job ads in Charlotte, I would not say they are plentiful. Try to search for EA or AA for New York to see the difference - there are close to 100 new ads every day... and that makes me nervous.

This is one of the jobs that almost imposible to find unitl you move. I really doubt that anyone will hire an admin from out of state. Besides, we don't make the kind of money that will allow us to fly to interviews.
Comparing NY to Charlotte is Apples to Oranges. My field is the same way where the job boards have 50+ new postings a day where as Charlotte your lucky to see 1 or 2 a week, if that. It is a very different market here. I think the Charlotte job market is more about networking than a job board search for a good position. Again, this is just my opinion.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM

158 posts, read 498,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It really across the board on jobs. However retail and restaurant might fair better than others due to their new shopping centers all over the place.

Pay attention to companies moving to the area or expanding and try to get your foot in the door before they get settle in.
Sunny, thank you for suggestion - but how would someone find out about companies that are moving or expanding? I am currently researching large companies in Charlotte and planning to send my resume to them in addition to responding to ads.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 19,874 times
This is not true, there are great companies here. The job market is booming especially for those with a higher education. The South has more many then people realize, and when it comes to education they have awesome colleges. People have this stereotype about Southeners. I felt really stupid when I started moved here and realized that this aint no hick town and I was one of those people prejuding on strereotype. There are plenty of Fortune 500 Co. and many active latinos in the community with higher education. (I mention the latino community because once again there is the stereotype of all latinos here are illegal immigrants from mexico with no education) So not true. Do your homework and research. You will not be dissapointed.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,556,376 times
Default There is no magic formula...

Read as much of the business news as possible to find who is expanding or moving into Charlotte. Read Yahoo Business and the WSJ, subscribe to other business periodicals...when one closes up, somebody is bound to move into the location. For example, when HSBC closed its Fort Mill location, that is now open for someone to move in. Try to look for articles regarding the closure and you might just get lucky and find who is moving in.

There is no manual on how to do this...just think outside the box and be imaginative and creative and then gear your networking towards that. I had my resume in front of the President of one of the largest, hard to break into, biotech consulting firm in Charlotte just cause I whined and complained to a neighbor about wanting to get in there. Lo and behold, he used to work there,his mother is still there as one of the VP's, and then he had a field day sending my resume to everyone. However, the jobs for which I was qualified for were in Florida, and I was NOT going to relocate again. Another neighbor had hooked me up with the Director of a recruitment firm in Charlotte and even while I was working, they continue to offer me positions...just did not like the salary levels or locations. Again, I had to contact my "friends" up in CT, call favors and ask them for referrals to heads of national recruitment agencies so I can get a hold of the local big-wig...see what I'm getting at? These things just came to me after exhausting all the traditional avenues, so you have to run all scenarios concurrently to succeed.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,028,540 times
Hi,

I do appreciate all of the responses. I'm kind of on the fence. I feel pretty good about my resume / skills / experience and to be honest, if it came down to me living in NY (for work) versus living down south - well I'll go work for a pig farmer before I do that LOL HAHAHA - ok, just kidding but seriously, I feel pretty good about the growth that the south in general that is happening. I think I'll do just fine. Thanks everyone - your responses are always so good!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,858,372 times
Just wanted to throw in a mention of the Charlotte Business Journal. We've found lots of great articles in this pub that helped my husband learn about companies to research when looking for a job. You can even have articles of interest e-mailed directly to you (though I believe these are excerpts, you have to subscribe for the full articles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Read as much of the business news as possible to find who is expanding or moving into Charlotte. Read Yahoo Business and the WSJ, subscribe to other business periodicals...when one closes up, somebody is bound to move into the location. For example, when HSBC closed its Fort Mill location, that is now open for someone to move in. Try to look for articles regarding the closure and you might just get lucky and find who is moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte